Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: spyware help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t171695-re-spyware-help.html)

derek / nul 06-29-2003 08:13 AM

Re: spyware help

Put an entry like this at the end of your "hosts" file

127.0.0.1 static.smni.com

For win95,98,ME its in c:\windows\

for NT4, 2000 its in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\

I think
for XP its in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

Richard 06-29-2003 09:03 AM

Re: spyware help

"JiLs" <jils@optusNOSPAMnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:3efea698$0$24424$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
> thanks derek; can you explain to me what this will do?
> currently my hosts file ends thus:
> *********
> # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
> # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
> #
> # For example:
> #
> # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
> # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> *********
>
> so .. i should put 127.0.0.1 static.smni.com right after that last line?

If it does nothing after you do, simply remove the line you entered and try
something else.
If you have "messenger" active, it's most likely using that as a source.

http://www.CrazyBrowser.com,

Get this shell add on for IE and watch it destroy popups.
as a matter of fact, you might not never see a popup with it.
besides, it loads faster.

JiLs 06-29-2003 09:35 AM

Re: spyware help

derek, i followed your instructions. limited success, i still got the ad window, just
the pictures didn't show, only as red Xs!!

any other advice gratefully accepted!

JiLs 06-29-2003 10:27 AM

Re: spyware help

www.google.com

and anywhere else that i go after that. assorted searches, bulletin boards, nothing
specific.

JiLs 06-29-2003 10:37 AM

Re: spyware help

just went to www.crazybrowser.com, that caused a banner from static.smni to popup. no
graphics, an empty banner, but still there .. how do these bastards get away with
doing this? i recall reading that a 1% success rate is all they need. it's hard to
believe anyone would read the ads, but i guess someone must.

Mara 06-29-2003 10:49 AM

Re: spyware help

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:37:18 +1000, JiLs wrote:

>just went to www.crazybrowser.com, that caused a banner from static.smni to popup. no
>graphics, an empty banner, but still there .. how do these bastards get away with
>doing this? i recall reading that a 1% success rate is all they need. it's hard to
>believe anyone would read the ads, but i guess someone must.

Download and use Mozilla for your browser, and set it to suppress popups. It's
free, too.

"And if you're running Windows XP, disable the Messenger service. I saw where
you said you're running IE 6, but not what OS."

<snip>

--
"I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
-- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000

derek / nul 06-29-2003 10:54 AM

Re: spyware help

Ok, a google search on "smni.com" reveals that smni.com is a 'pest'

http://www.safersite.com/PestInfo/db/s/smni_com.asp

It appears to be cookie based, so deleting some cookies may get rid of it.

This may help
http://www.geocities.com/spywarekill...e_spyware.html

JiLs 06-29-2003 11:29 AM

Re: spyware help

when i search google for smni.com, i get
"Sorry, no information is available for the URL smni.com"

why is this so? !!

Michael 06-30-2003 07:34 AM

Re: spyware help

"JiLs" <jils@optusNOSPAMnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:3effd90a$0$5973$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au ...
> **** bugger. i spoke too soon.
> just did a search on google .. for digital video cameras, just to indicate

that it
> was an innocuous search.
> soon as the google results appeared, so did the wretched smni banner.
> i was using IE, forgot about CB.
>
> search cookies, find there's now a smni cookie back in there.
>
> right now i'd like to visit smni and throw a brick through its window.

Gee... you coulda dropped something nasty on their heads when you flew over
them the other day. :-)

Registrant:
Santa Monica Networks
227 Broadway, #304
Santa Monica, California 90401
United States

Registered through: Go Daddy Software (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: SMNI.COM
Created on: 06-May-03
Expires on: 18-Nov-04
Last Updated on: 22-Jun-03

Administrative Contact:
Sudd, James james@smni.com
Santa Monica Networks
227 Broadway, #304
Santa Monica, California 90401
United States
310-587-0714 Fax --
Technical Contact:
Sudd, James james@smni.com
Santa Monica Networks
227 Broadway, #304
Santa Monica, California 90401
United States
310-587-0714 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.SMNI.COM
AUTH1.DNS.COGENTCO.COM
AUTH2.DNS.COGENTCO.COM

JiLs 06-30-2003 09:04 AM

Re: spyware help

NOW you tell me. but maybe it can still be arranged ...