Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Win2k SP4 and USB 2.0 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t171594-re-win2k-sp4-and-usb-2-0-a.html)

John 06-28-2003 08:19 AM

Re: Win2k SP4 and USB 2.0

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:16:02 GMT, Gray Ghost
<grayghost@theghostwiththemost.comm> wrote:

>Hope that helps.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

But what's with the support for USB 2.0 in Win2k SP4? Would I also
need that, or would just getting the kit be sufficient?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Ralph Wade Phillips 06-28-2003 03:22 PM

Re: Win2k SP4 and USB 2.0

Howdy!

"John" <john262@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:16:02 GMT, Gray Ghost
> <grayghost@theghostwiththemost.comm> wrote:
>
> >Hope that helps.

> Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.
>
> But what's with the support for USB 2.0 in Win2k SP4? Would I also
> need that, or would just getting the kit be sufficient?

Well, it's like this. To watch TV in color, not ONLY do you need
the color TV (the "kit"), but the BROADCAST must be in color (the "service
pack" or drivers).

So if you watch an old "Gunsmoke" that's B&W on your color TV, it'll
be in B&W. But if you watch a new screening of "Friends" on a B&W TV, it'll
be in - B&W.

OTGH - I wasn't aware USB 2.0 wasn't in Win2K ... I'm running USB
2.0 cards in about six Win2K machines as we type ... at USB 2.0 speeds, none
the less.

But I bet I wouldn't have had to find the drivers on the CD if it
were in the SP.

(SP3 added support for USB 2.0 - wonder what extra support they're
meaning now?)

RwP

Gray Ghost 06-29-2003 01:57 AM

Re: Win2k SP4 and USB 2.0

"Ralph Wade Phillips" <ralphp@techie.com> wrote in

> Howdy!
>
> "John" <john262@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:16:02 GMT, Gray Ghost
>> <grayghost@theghostwiththemost.comm> wrote:
>> >Hope that helps.

>> Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.
>> But what's with the support for USB 2.0 in Win2k SP4? Would I also
>> need that, or would just getting the kit be sufficient?

> Well, it's like this. To watch TV in color, not ONLY do you
> need
> the color TV (the "kit"), but the BROADCAST must be in color (the
> "service pack" or drivers).
> So if you watch an old "Gunsmoke" that's B&W on your color TV,
> it'll
> be in B&W. But if you watch a new screening of "Friends" on a B&W TV,
> it'll be in - B&W.

Good analogy, I'll have to slip that in my utility belt next to my
plonker.

> OTGH - I wasn't aware USB 2.0 wasn't in Win2K ... I'm running
> USB
> 2.0 cards in about six Win2K machines as we type ... at USB 2.0
> speeds, none the less.
> But I bet I wouldn't have had to find the drivers on the CD if
> it
> were in the SP.
> (SP3 added support for USB 2.0 - wonder what extra support
> they're
> meaning now?)

Got me... I just installed the driver from the CD that came with my USB
card when I installed it a couple of months ago. I bet it's some "buffer
overflow" protection ;-)

Gotta love good ole MS.

-gg-