Velocity Reviews

-   -   FAQ (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t171554-faq.html)

Plato 06-27-2003 09:00 PM

FAQ | 24hoursupport.helpdesk

In regards to computer problems many participants find it very
helpful if you supply a few facts about your system along with
your question including:

- MOST IMPORTANT is the Operating System [OS] you use for example
Windows 95, 98, XP Home, XP Pro, Linux, MAC OS 9.X , etc.
- Amount of RAM
- Age of your PC [helps when dealing with Hard Drive install problems]

AGAIN, MOST IMPORTANT IS THE OS THAT IS ON THE PROBLEM PC
SECOND MOST IMPORTANT IS THE EXACT TEXT OF ANY ERROR MESSAGES

ERROR MESSAGES

If you are receiving an error message it really helps to post
the [exact verbatim error message] but don't include "stack dump"
or "register" numbers if the error message also includes them.

For example, [filename.exe has caused a general protection fault
in module nav32.exe] or [WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in
module MSO97.DLL] can really help the volunteers in the Group
identify your specific problem and suggest reasonable fixes.

Often you have to press the "details" button to get better info.

For Windows XP users experiencing BSODs and/or restarts and the
error message disappears before you can read it try this:

Use Control Panel | System | Advanced | Startup and Recovery
Settings and untick the "Automatically Restart" item in the
system failure section.

This should lock the PC at the point the error message pops up
and allow you to read it to get an angle on the problem.

PERIPHERALS

For peripheral problems like mice, printers, scanners, etc. it often
helps to include details like how the device is connected e.g. USB,
serial, LPT, etc. and if the device is "daisy chained" e.g. is the
printer connected directly to the PC or is it connected to the back
of your scanner. Or is it connected through a USB hub.

SOFTWARE

A great deal of software [not working, not installing] problems are
due to incorrect installation and/or spyware running in the background.

Some basic steps to do in advance of installing new software include:

- Disable all background applications prior to installing any new
software including your anti-virus program.
- Remove all spyware
- Double check your system for viruses with another program or with
an online scanner.
- Run scandisk and defrag

It's also useful to post what specific software and version number
is NOT working/installing on your PC. In other words, its not helpful
to just say that your "Speech Recognition" software is not working
unless you also provide the maker of such ware and the version #.

SAVE YOURSELF SOME TIME AND FRUSTRATION

Since many problems are very common the answer you want may have
already been posted today so it pays to spend some time reviewing
the Subject Lines to see if others have already asked the same
question and have already been provided with some good answers.

Please note that 24hoursupport.helpdesk is a text based Newsgroup,
which means NO HTML, NO Attachments, No Pictures, and NO SPAM.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Brian H供 06-27-2003 09:04 PM

Re: FAQ

Errrrr...erm... Plato said:

> FAQ | 24hoursupport.helpdesk

Give it a rest Plato for crying out loud, you don't just **** off the people
that fight with you.

Plato 06-27-2003 09:22 PM

Re: FAQ

Brian H供 wrote:

> Give it a rest Plato for crying out loud, you don't just **** off the people
> that fight with you.

Maybe you should find a moderated, topic specific group as it seems you
cant deal with an OPEN group where any topic is allowed.

Talk about double standards eh?

Brian H供 06-27-2003 09:27 PM

Re: FAQ

Errrrr...erm... Plato said:

> Brian H供 wrote:
>>
>> Give it a rest Plato for crying out loud, you don't just **** off the people
>> that fight with you.

> Maybe you should find a moderated, topic specific group as it seems you
> cant deal with an OPEN group where any topic is allowed.
>
> Talk about double standards eh?

I *can* cope with "any" topic, but you are just being childish by insisting on
posting a FAQ every day.
Now if you was to post it after someone asked, then maybe, just maybe, it
wouldn't be such a pain in the arse, but no, you are just doing it out of spite,
or for kicks.
I've never flamed you, but when I see others do it, I do think that you tend to
supply the fuel yourself.

Phineas P. Hornswaggle 06-28-2003 12:48 AM

Re: FAQ

On 27 Jun 2003 16:22:34 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> ripped off his/her
clothing and screamed to the world:

**** head.
--
The villagers trembled as a blinding flash of pointlessness illuminated
the night-time skies.

gangle 06-28-2003 03:29 AM

Re: FAQ

"Brian H供" wrote
> Errrrr...erm... Plato said:
>
> > FAQ | 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> >

> Give it a rest Plato for crying out loud, you don't just **** off the people
> that fight with you.

PlayD'oH is a serious sociopath. As such, he is driven by
compulsions that he cannot consciously control. For you to
address him like he just "some guy" who can be reasoned
with, just demonstrates your lack of knowledge of the history
of this NG.