Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t171503-cable-internet-installed-tomorrow-advice-pls.html)

fitwell 06-27-2003 11:05 AM

Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

(If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)

I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
anyone point me in right direction?

Thanks.

Miggsee 06-27-2003 11:28 AM

Re: Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

Yea for you! :) I do not think that you need to prepare at all, other than
updating to a newer ZA. I have free version 3.7.159. For fun, activate your
current ZA, and then wait until the cable is installed. Then update, and
watch with glee as it's download speed! :) You're going to love broadband!

Good Luck! :)

NEMISIES 06-27-2003 11:48 AM

Re: Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:05:04 -0400, fitwell <NoSpam@NoJunkMail.com>
wrote:

>(If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
>antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
>
>I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
>operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
>that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
>the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
>know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
>anyone point me in right direction?
>
>Thanks.

Just Start Her Up & Go for It !!! U will Notice the Difference
Belive Me !!

SgtMinor 06-27-2003 01:37 PM

Re: Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

You may find some of the info at these sites useful:

Cable Modem info:

http://www.cable-modems.org/Q&A/

http://speedguide.net/

Cable connection checking tools:

http://www.cable-modems.org/toolbox/

BTW, www.nojunkmail.com is a registered domain name. Do you actually
have an account at that address?

Solar^ 06-27-2003 01:58 PM

Re: Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

Congrats on getting cable. I'm sure that you will love it. As far as
being prepared is concerned, a couple of programs might be helpful.
One is Accelerate (www.webroot.com). This program tweaks your computer
settings to get the most out of a cable connection. The other is
www.dslreports.com. This web site speed tests your connection. I only
got the basic install when I got cable, so I was responsible for
hooking the thing up to my computer. After a few calls to tech support
I was up and running. Probably a good idea to be sure and have their
number.

Mitch 06-27-2003 06:27 PM

Re: Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

In article <s09ofvkocjrqke9t692k1jtm4sltaorg1i@4ax.com>, fitwell
<NoSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote:

> (If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
> antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
>
> I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
> operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
> that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
> the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
> know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
> anyone point me in right direction?

You will only change the network settings (to use Ethernet instead of
the modem) and the mail account settings. You might be using a
different news server, too.

The programs you use do not have to change.

slick66ca 06-28-2003 06:05 AM

Re: Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.
news:270620031127044933%mixedmessage@cox.remove.ne t...

fitwell 06-28-2003 04:58 PM

Re: Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:05:06 GMT, "slick66ca" <slick66ca@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
>broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
words, do we use?

Thanks.

Jimchip 06-28-2003 05:45 PM

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:58:44 -0400, fitwell wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:05:06 GMT, "slick66ca" <slick66ca@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
>>broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

> And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
> words, do we use?

"slick66ca" misused the term 'port'. If you have a firewall installed then
you probably are OK. Your ports are closed. Check with something like
ShieldsUp https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 or another port scanner:
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

> Thanks.
>

>>"Mitch" <mixedmessage@cox.remove.net> wrote in message
>>news:270620031127044933%mixedmessage@cox.remove. net...

>>> You will only change the network settings (to use Ethernet instead of
>>> the modem) and the mail account settings. You might be using a
>>> different news server, too.
>>>
>>> The programs you use do not have to change.

(lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

fitwell 06-28-2003 06:47 PM

Re: Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:45:10 -0000, Jimchip
<jimchip@localdomain.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:58:44 -0400, fitwell wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:05:06 GMT, "slick66ca" <slick66ca@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
>>>broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

>> And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
>> words, do we use?

>"slick66ca" misused the term 'port'. If you have a firewall installed then
>you probably are OK. Your ports are closed. Check with something like
>ShieldsUp https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 or another port scanner:
>http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

Phew! Thanks and will do!