Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Writing mathematical formulas without using Word Equation Editor (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t171497-re-writing-mathematical-formulas-without-using-word-equation-editor.html)

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_P=F6nitz?= 06-27-2003 08:26 AM

Joona I Palaste <palaste@cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>> Mathematicians mostly use TeX.

> The lecturer in our "Differentation and Integration I.2" course
> expressed a critique against TeX. He said that in TeX it is all too
> easy to write stuff like:
>
> $a^{\chi_x}$
>
> which causes "a" to have a superscript "\chi" that has a subscript "x".
> He said that in a small font (such as the one in our lecture notes), the
> printing can get so small that it'll be difficult to make out what
> symbols make out the various superscripts and subscripts.

First of all, this is 'the Right way to do it'.

Secondly, if you don't agree with the font size TeX selects, you can
manually 'correct' this by e.g. saying $a^{\chi_{\scriptstyle x}}$

There is all the freedom you need.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one. (T. Jefferson or B. Franklin or both...)