Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: System Restore won't restore WinXP Pro (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t171480-re-system-restore-wont-restore-winxp-pro.html)

NEMISIES 06-27-2003 12:22 AM

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:12:33 -0400, "Al Dean" <aldean@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I am running WinXP Pro, tried to do a system restore, it went through all
>it's paces, then presented me with a message...the system restore could not
>take place, no changes were made.
>
>any ideas??
>
>Thanks,
>
>Al

First things First !! Have U Enabled System Restore ???????

More:

How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore

Situation:
You want to know how to turn off or turn on the Windows XP System
Restore feature.

Solution:
System Restore, a Windows XP feature, is similar to the "Last Known
Good Configuration" in Windows NT and Windows 2000. You can use System
Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, using the backups
that it makes of selected system files and program files. However,
"Last Known Good Configuration" restores the computer back to the last
state that Windows determines might work, whereas System Restore gives
you a choice of previous states to restore the computer to. That is,
System Restore maintains multiple restore points instead of one last
restore point.

While this is a desirable feature, in some cases it should be
temporarily turned off. For example, if the computer is infected with
a virus, then it is possible that the virus could be backed up by
System Restore. By default, Windows prevents System Restore from being
modified by outside programs. As a result, there is the possibility
that you could restore a virus-infected file, or that the on-line
scanners would detect the virus in that location.