Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lost my data during delete of a partition!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t171032-lost-my-data-during-delete-of-a-partition.html)

Tuzzzy 06-23-2003 08:38 AM

Lost my data during delete of a partition!!

I have a bit of a question for you. Its relating to my personal PC at home.
I got a bit over my head on the weekend using Partition Magic 8.0!!

The pc has a single 6GB harddrive. Was in FAT format. It was partioned into
C and D drives.

Partition Magic allows you to 'delete' partitions. The delete partition
function then has something like "delete partittion" or "delete partition
secure - warning this will delete all files" . Cant remember but something
along those lines.

Anyway I chose Delete partition (the one that DOES'NT delete files!)

So After I did that, it worked well. I realised that since C was in FAT
format, I couldnt get bigger than 2.1 G and hence I said Ill convert to NTFS
and then resize the partition to 6GB (full size)

So everything worked well. The C drive is now NTFS and the size of the drive
is 6GB! But guess what....the folders in D drive are no longer there! They
have all dissappeared.

Now whats worse is I didnt actually create "Rescue Discs" I know I know....
I feel stupid already :(

So my question to you is..

Is there ANYTHING that can be done to go back to the previous

partition (or similar) that will allow me access to the folders that

magically dissappeared? Even after Ive converted to NTFS and resized the
partition? Please say there is! :/

Im SURE i didnt choose the delete partition and erase data.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Miggsee 06-23-2003 10:30 AM

Re: Lost my data during delete of a partition!!

When you chose to delete the partition, you did exactly that. There is no
delete of a partition, and also saving the data on it.

PM is powerful. It helps to RTFM.

news:3ef6bc54$0$26637$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...

Gram 06-23-2003 12:04 PM

Re: Lost my data during delete of a partition!!

Sounds like you've deleted the FAT table for D in the process :|

Flash IV 07-16-2003 08:01 PM

Re: Lost my data during delete of a partition!!

To my knowledge there is no way to recover your data. The data was
more or less gone after you deleted the partition. That is the nature
re-partititioning. Partition Magic may have some "magic" that let's the
drive be recoverable for a short period of time, but after resizing the
partition and converting to after file system, the data is gone.

Flash