Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Registry Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t171026-re-registry-problem.html)

trout 06-23-2003 06:11 AM

Re: Registry Problem

Steve wrote:

> Since yesterday evening everytime I log into Windows XP I get the
> following error message. "Application error, there was a problem
> reading the registry". After clicking OK everything seems fine, but
> its a nuisance and I'd like to know how to get rid of it.
>
> My first reaction was to run a virus scan. Sure enough it found
> several files infected with JS.Seeker, all in my son's Temporary
> Internet Files directory. I've deleted them all. Looking back in the
> anti-virus activity log there were several instances of access to
> these files being denied on 19th June.
>
> None of the other signs of the virus mentioned in
> http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.seeker.html could be found,
> i.e. I can't find any sign of the files homereg111.reg, prefs.js,
> backup1.reg or backup2.reg.
>
> So I don't think the virus was actually activated and I think the
> registry problem is probably just coincindence. So how do I fix it ?

Do you have a restore point you can use?
And what anti-virus do you use? Might not hurt to double-check with an
on-line scan, like:
<http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>
--
"Better safe than sorry."

Steve 06-23-2003 06:36 AM

Re: Registry Problem

"trout" wrote in message > Steve wrote:

> Do you have a restore point you can use?
> And what anti-virus do you use? Might not hurt to double-check with an
> on-line scan, like:
> <http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>
> --

Thanks.

System Restore from yesterday morning fixed the problem.

My anti-virus is Norton 2002 with an up-to-date virus list. I'll try the
on-line scan when I've got a bit morre time.

Steve