Velocity Reviews

-   -   extend existing dtd (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t168785-extend-existing-dtd.html)

Andreas 02-14-2005 06:04 AM

extend existing dtd

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to XML, so please forgive me if this questions is really
simple:

is there a possibility to extend existing DTDs? I would like to base my XML
DTD on the existing http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd, but I want to add
a few more elements. Is that possible to do and if so, what would be the
easiest way to do it? I mean, without cutting and pasting the entire W3 DTD
into my own file?

Thanks heaps!

Soren Kuula 02-15-2005 11:02 AM

Re: extend existing dtd

Andreas wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am fairly new to XML, so please forgive me if this questions is really
> simple:
>
> is there a possibility to extend existing DTDs? I would like to base my XML
> DTD on the existing http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd, but I want to add
> a few more elements. Is that possible to do and if so, what would be the
> easiest way to do it? I mean, without cutting and pasting the entire W3 DTD
> into my own file?

Internal subsets might work for you ?

<!DOCTYPE foo PUBLIC "..." "..." [
<!ElEMENT my_first_new_element....>
]>

<foo>
</foo>

But you have to include that into every XML document then,

I think there is no other solution.

Soren

Soren Kuula 02-15-2005 11:15 AM

Re: extend existing dtd

Andreas wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am fairly new to XML, so please forgive me if this questions is really
> simple:
>
> is there a possibility to extend existing DTDs? I would like to base

my XML
> DTD on the existing http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd, but I want

to add
> a few more elements. Is that possible to do and if so, what would be the
> easiest way to do it? I mean, without cutting and pasting the entire

W3 DTD
> into my own file?

Internal subsets might work for you ?

<!DOCTYPE foo PUBLIC "..." "..." [
<!ElEMENT my_first_new_element....>
]>

<foo>
</foo>

But you have to include that into every XML document then,

OR look in the thread below, "why does a browser...". Maybe you can
include two external entities?

Soren