Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   HTML form post size limit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t164678-html-form-post-size-limit.html)

rounner@yahoo.com 03-31-2006 04:05 AM

HTML form post size limit
 
Hello,

On some computers using IE, when submitting a form that does a post to
another web site with a bunch of hidden items, if the size of the items
is too large the form wont perform the action.

Ive tried to see what is different about the computers in question but
cant for the life of me find anything.

Could it be some sort of buffer overflow protection, or has anyone else
had this problem too?

Thanks


Brian Cryer 03-31-2006 01:16 PM

Re: HTML form post size limit
 
<rounner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1143777920.914233.274790@t31g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> On some computers using IE, when submitting a form that does a post to
> another web site with a bunch of hidden items, if the size of the items
> is too large the form wont perform the action.
>
> Ive tried to see what is different about the computers in question but
> cant for the life of me find anything.
>
> Could it be some sort of buffer overflow protection, or has anyone else
> had this problem too?
>
> Thanks


Its definitely a POST and not a GET? With "get" there is a limit to the
length of the url which would translate into hard limits for the amount of
data you can push across (2kb or more depending on the browser).

I've not heard of any limits regarding POST .... just checking ... take a
look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/ this indicates a 2048
character limit for both post and get.

Hope this helps.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian



Benjamin Niemann 03-31-2006 03:15 PM

Re: HTML form post size limit
 
Brian Cryer wrote:

> <rounner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1143777920.914233.274790@t31g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>> On some computers using IE, when submitting a form that does a post to
>> another web site with a bunch of hidden items, if the size of the items
>> is too large the form wont perform the action.
>>
>> Ive tried to see what is different about the computers in question but
>> cant for the life of me find anything.
>>
>> Could it be some sort of buffer overflow protection, or has anyone else
>> had this problem too?

>
> Its definitely a POST and not a GET? With "get" there is a limit to the
> length of the url which would translate into hard limits for the amount of
> data you can push across (2kb or more depending on the browser).
>
> I've not heard of any limits regarding POST .... just checking ... take a
> look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/ this indicates a 2048
> character limit for both post and get.


This only applies to the URI in the FORMs ACTION attribute. There is no
limit (in the browser) for the FORM content when using the POST method (if
there is one, than its greater than 50MB - I often had to deal with file
uploads of such size without problems). The server-side code that handles
the code probably has a limit (the server-side code may decide to enforce
any kind of limitation, including obscure and confusing ones).

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de
WWW: http://pink.odahoda.de/

Brian Cryer 03-31-2006 04:21 PM

Re: HTML form post size limit
 
"Benjamin Niemann" <pink@odahoda.de> wrote in message
news:e0jh2c$bjf$1@online.de...
> Brian Cryer wrote:
>
>> <rounner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1143777920.914233.274790@t31g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>>> On some computers using IE, when submitting a form that does a post to
>>> another web site with a bunch of hidden items, if the size of the items
>>> is too large the form wont perform the action.
>>>
>>> Ive tried to see what is different about the computers in question but
>>> cant for the life of me find anything.
>>>
>>> Could it be some sort of buffer overflow protection, or has anyone else
>>> had this problem too?

>>
>> Its definitely a POST and not a GET? With "get" there is a limit to the
>> length of the url which would translate into hard limits for the amount
>> of
>> data you can push across (2kb or more depending on the browser).
>>
>> I've not heard of any limits regarding POST .... just checking ... take a
>> look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/ this indicates a 2048
>> character limit for both post and get.

>
> This only applies to the URI in the FORMs ACTION attribute. There is no
> limit (in the browser) for the FORM content when using the POST method (if
> there is one, than its greater than 50MB - I often had to deal with file
> uploads of such size without problems). The server-side code that handles
> the code probably has a limit (the server-side code may decide to enforce
> any kind of limitation, including obscure and confusing ones).


Yes, you are quite right. I should have read the KB article further.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian



rounner@yahoo.com 04-02-2006 10:28 PM

Re: HTML form post size limit
 
Thanks for the replies.

It appears that the post is being set to the default
application/x-www-form-urlencoded. The data is base64 so I'm not sure
if its appropriate or not. I'll try using ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data"
and see how it goes.

I'll update this thread when I've tested it.



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.