Velocity Reviews

-   -   Browser trends (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t164664-browser-trends.html)

DJ Craig 03-29-2006 09:20 PM

Browser trends

When I looked in my Google Analytics stats for my site, I was pleased
by this trend in the browsers:

Nov13-26 Mar12-25
IE 82.62% 75.31%
Firefox 12.66% 20.25%
Safari 2.79% 1.98%
Netscape 0.64% 1.23%
Opera 0.86% 0.49%

More FF less IE! :-) but I only get a few hundred visitors on my site
every two weeks and it might be a badly skewed population sample. I
was wondering if other people are seeing the same trends in browser
usage?

Nik Coughlin 03-29-2006 10:12 PM

Re: Browser trends

DJ Craig wrote:
> When I looked in my Google Analytics stats for my site, I was pleased
> by this trend in the browsers:
>
> Nov13-26 Mar12-25
> IE 82.62% 75.31%
> Firefox 12.66% 20.25%
> Safari 2.79% 1.98%
> Netscape 0.64% 1.23%
> Opera 0.86% 0.49%
>
> More FF less IE! :-) but I only get a few hundred visitors on my site
> every two weeks and it might be a badly skewed population sample. I
> was wondering if other people are seeing the same trends in browser
> usage?

Mine is even more dramatic :) This is from my main domain, and I know that
these statistics are badly skewed due to the nature of the site (but trend
is still interesting):

~60,000 visitors, November 2005 vs March 2006
Firefox 23.3 % 55.6 %
IE 67.8 % 29.0 %
Mozilla 0.9 % 7.9 %
Safari 3.0 % 2.8 %
Opera 2.0 % 1.8 %
Unknown 1.6 % 1.0 %
Netscape 0.3 % 0.7 %
Konqueror 0.1 % 0.1 %
MultiZilla - 0.1 %
Camino 0.2 % 0.1 %
Others 0.1 % 0.2 %

Leonard Blaisdell 03-29-2006 11:25 PM

Re: Browser trends

In article <442b0666$1@clear.net.nz>,
"Nik Coughlin" <nrkn.com@gmail.com> wrote:

> DJ Craig wrote:
> > When I looked in my Google Analytics stats for my site, I was pleased
> > by this trend in the browsers:
> > Opera 0.86% 0.49%

> Mine is even more dramatic :) This is from my main domain, and I know that
> these statistics are badly skewed due to the nature of the site (but trend
> is still interesting):
> Opera 2.0 % 1.8 %

Although you both said your stats were skewed, I find the Opera stats
interesting. They went free-unbannered a couple of months before your
first columns. I'd have expected Opera's usage to increase.
I'm a Safari (leaning toward Camino) user myself, but I do have Opera
installed, and it works fine.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Joel Shepherd 03-30-2006 05:31 AM

Re: Browser trends

In article <leo-865968.15252429032006@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
Leonard Blaisdell <leo@greatbasin.com> wrote:

> I find the Opera stats
> interesting. They went free-unbannered a couple of months before your
> first columns. I'd have expected Opera's usage to increase.

Opera, by default, identifies itself as IE. Stats reporting Opera usage
aren't especially reliable (which applies to browser usage stats in
general).

--
Joel.

Leonard Blaisdell 03-30-2006 06:12 AM

Re: Browser trends

In article <joelshep-15DA40.21325129032006@news.east.earthlink.net>,
Joel Shepherd <joelshep@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Opera, by default, identifies itself as IE. Stats reporting Opera usage
> aren't especially reliable (which applies to browser usage stats in
> general).

Oh, I agree! Nevertheless, I don't understand why the stats went down in
both cases. I agree that two servers can't indicate much either.
Especially two servers whose owners post to ah or ciwbm.
My reading of knowledgeable posts seems to indicate that stats are
completely useless. I don't think they are *completely* useless.
Especially with dramatic trends. The trend for Opera wasn't dramatic.
But both posters servers or virtual servers should attract more Opera
savvy users than generic sites would.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Neredbojias 03-30-2006 06:45 AM

Re: Browser trends

With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:

> In article <joelshep-15DA40.21325129032006@news.east.earthlink.net>,
> Joel Shepherd <joelshep@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > Opera, by default, identifies itself as IE. Stats reporting Opera usage
> > aren't especially reliable (which applies to browser usage stats in
> > general).

> Oh, I agree! Nevertheless, I don't understand why the stats went down in
> both cases. I agree that two servers can't indicate much either.
> Especially two servers whose owners post to ah or ciwbm.
> My reading of knowledgeable posts seems to indicate that stats are
> completely useless. I don't think they are *completely* useless.
> Especially with dramatic trends. The trend for Opera wasn't dramatic.
> But both posters servers or virtual servers should attract more Opera
> savvy users than generic sites would.

There's always the possibility that more people don't like Opera now.

--
Neredbojias

Toby Inkster 03-30-2006 06:51 AM

Re: Browser trends

DJ Craig wrote:

> When I looked in my Google Analytics stats for my site, I was pleased
> by this trend in the browsers

Mine are quite bizarre:

Nov 2005
IE = 35.4%
Fx = 12.5%
Op = 9.45%
Sf = 1.48%
Ns = 0.318%

Mar 2006 (so far)
IE = 41.5%
Fx = 23.5%
Op = 6.32%
Sf = 2.84%
Ns = 0.342%

Where are all the other hits? November the percentages total to only about
60%. I'm guessing I was hit by several search engine crawlers that month.

I too get the drop in Opera usage, which is very odd. It is possible that
once Opera went free, there was a spike in people using it, which is what
we're seeing in November, but that then levelled off after Christmas when
a bunch of people would have got new computers and perhaps forgot to copy
Opera from their old one.

I've not done the calculations on my own logs, but that theory would
result in Opera percentages moving a bit like this:

N(Op)
| _.----.._
| _./ `-.
| / \
| .' `-..______________
| /
| /
|...-
|_____Oct___Nov___Dec___Jan___Feb___Mar____

Ending up at a higher percentage than before it went free, but only after
a peak. Does anyone have their statistics to hand to confirm/deny this?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Leonard Blaisdell 03-30-2006 07:45 AM

Re: Browser trends

In article <MPG.1e952c717de1bd8a989885@news.isp.com>,
Neredbojias <invalid@neredbojias.com> wrote:

> There's always the possibility that more people don't like Opera now.

Blasphemy! I have it, covet it and aspire to use it. Perhaps tomorrow.
Opera even works very well on a Mac. But... So do a bunch of other
excellent browsers. I can't use IE other than IE5Mac though :>( or :>)

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Neredbojias 03-30-2006 08:28 AM

Re: Browser trends

With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:

> In article <MPG.1e952c717de1bd8a989885@news.isp.com>,
> Neredbojias <invalid@neredbojias.com> wrote:
>
> > There's always the possibility that more people don't like Opera now.

> Blasphemy! I have it, covet it and aspire to use it. Perhaps tomorrow.
> Opera even works very well on a Mac. But... So do a bunch of other
> excellent browsers. I can't use IE other than IE5Mac though :>( or :>)

I've had some trouble with Opera, notably in the mechanics of rendering.
Sometimes it's like a robot that needs oil or a fine watch with a gear
tooth missing here and there.

--
Neredbojias

Dylan Parry 03-30-2006 08:50 AM

Re: Browser trends

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Toby Inkster
finally proclaimed:

> I too get the drop in Opera usage, which is very odd. It is possible that
> once Opera went free, there was a spike in people using it, which is what
> we're seeing in November, but that then levelled off after Christmas when
> a bunch of people would have got new computers and perhaps forgot to copy
> Opera from their old one.

I'd say it was more likely that people thought they would give Opera a
try when it went free, and half those who tried it decided they liked it
better than their previous browser, but the other half decided the
opposite, so went back to using IE/FF/et al. In other words, you can't
please all of the people all of the time.

--
Dylan Parry