Velocity Reviews

-   -   Setting up ability to purchase a single music track (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t164617-setting-up-ability-to-purchase-a-single-music-track.html)

03-25-2006 02:06 AM

Setting up ability to purchase a single music track

I have a friend whose daughter has written and recorded some songs.
She is thinking of having them available to download either as single
tracks or the whole CD.
I have *no* idea how to start with this. Anyone care to point me to a
tutorial as to how to make this available for purchase (e.g. PayPal) so
that once one person purchases a track, they simply do not send the URL
to someone else to get the same track free.
I know we are not talking super-stardom here, but for those in her
circle of influence who are interested, she may be able to make some
"pocket money" on the side through this.
Hoping there is a freeware option to this as extra cash will not be
abounding to put up front.
Her site will be a simple html effort for now.
Thanks

Toby Inkster 03-25-2006 08:47 AM

Re: Setting up ability to purchase a single music track

©® wrote:

> I have *no* idea how to start with this. Anyone care to point me to a
> tutorial as to how to make this available for purchase (e.g. PayPal) so
> that once one person purchases a track, they simply do not send the URL
> to someone else to get the same track free.

It's not an easy matter, so if this is just a one-off thing you may be
better off using a third-party service.

The first couple of hits here look OK:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sell+digital+files

The basic technique if you wanted to do it yourself would be:

1. gather any information you want from the user;
2. direct the user to your payment service and let them do their stuff;
3. receieve the user back from your payment service, who will hopefully
provide some verification that the user has payed properly, in the
form of a GET query string or POST data;
4. process that data, to make sure the user has paid, and set a cookie on
their system;
5. provide a link to the music file(s);
6. each music file should check for the presence of the cookie before
allowing itself to be downloaded. (Yoy may be able to achieve this
with Apache configuration directives, or a server-side script.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Ed Mullen 03-26-2006 12:55 AM

Toby Inkster wrote:
> ©® wrote:
>
>> I have *no* idea how to start with this. Anyone care to point me to a
>> tutorial as to how to make this available for purchase (e.g. PayPal) so
>> that once one person purchases a track, they simply do not send the URL
>> to someone else to get the same track free.

> It's not an easy matter, so if this is just a one-off thing you may be
> better off using a third-party service.
>
> The first couple of hits here look OK:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=sell+digital+files
>
> The basic technique if you wanted to do it yourself would be:
>
> 1. gather any information you want from the user;
> 2. direct the user to your payment service and let them do their stuff;
> 3. receieve the user back from your payment service, who will hopefully
> provide some verification that the user has payed properly, in the
> form of a GET query string or POST data;
> 4. process that data, to make sure the user has paid, and set a cookie on
> their system;
> 5. provide a link to the music file(s);
> 6. each music file should check for the presence of the cookie before
> allowing itself to be downloaded. (Yoy may be able to achieve this
> with Apache configuration directives, or a server-side script.

All well and good but once the file is downloaded there is no way to
prevent it from being shared/copied.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

03-26-2006 07:36 PM

"Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in message
news:kdidnQk_Tovxe7jZnZ2dnUVZ_sCdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

> All well and good but once the file is downloaded there is
> no way to prevent it from being shared/copied.

Yeah - good point! I was just hoping to not have a:
a href="mysong.mp3" download link which anyone can get to.
Thanks