Velocity Reviews

-   -   Domain name registration (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t164405-domain-name-registration.html)

Water Cooler v2 03-05-2006 06:22 AM

Domain name registration

I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?

What're the few best choices? Thanks!

Adrienne Boswell 03-05-2006 09:43 AM

Re: Domain name registration

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Water Cooler v2"
<wtr_clr@yahoo.com> writing in news:1141539741.411961.172800
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
> a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
> that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
> the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
> registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
>
> What're the few best choices? Thanks!

I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have never
had a problem with them. They have great music on hold (Bob Parson's
personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Roy Schestowitz 03-05-2006 10:43 AM

Re: Domain name registration

__/ [ Adrienne Boswell ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 09:43 \__

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Water Cooler v2"
> <wtr_clr@yahoo.com> writing in news:1141539741.411961.172800
> @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
>> a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
>> that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
>> the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
>> registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
>>
>> What're the few best choices? Thanks!
>>

> I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have never
> had a problem with them. They have great music on hold (Bob Parson's
> personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.

I hear that GoDaddy are the wise and safe choice to stick with. If you
need to transfer domain ownerships, however, then you might as well con-
sider registering with the prospective Web host. There is a 3-month delay
when moving domain registration from one host to another, let alone if you
consider 'irregular' registrars. I am not sure if things have changed
since the last time I experienced and paid the toll of this.

Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

William Tasso 03-05-2006 11:03 AM

Re: Domain name registration

Fleeing from the madness of the http://groups.google.com jungle
Water Cooler v2 <wtr_clr@yahoo.com> stumbled into
and said:

> I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
> a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
> that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
> the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
> registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
>
> What're the few best choices?

godady has already been mentioned

also take a look at joker.com - they have proved themselves easy to work
with.

--
William Tasso

whither a trophy?

NotMe 03-05-2006 12:32 PM

"William Tasso" <SpamBlocked@tbdata.com> wrote in message
| Fleeing from the madness of the http://groups.google.com jungle
| Water Cooler v2 <wtr_clr@yahoo.com> stumbled into
| and said:
|
| > I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
| > a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
| > that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
| > the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
| > registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
| >
| > What're the few best choices?
|
| godady has already been mentioned
|
| also take a look at joker.com - they have proved themselves easy to work
| with.

Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
transfer the registration.

Greg N. 03-05-2006 03:19 PM

Water Cooler v2 wrote:
> I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
> a domain name.

This may be obvious, but I say it anyway: The first thing you need to
look at is at web space providers, their features, and their cost.

Many providers will let you create a web site without registering a
domain name of your own. Your web site will get an address something like

your-name . provider-name . com
or
www . provider-name . com / your-name.

Once you got started, you can have the provider take care of registering
a domain name of your choice, but this is not necessarily the first
thing to do.

--
Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

TechnoHippie 03-05-2006 04:59 PM

Re: Domain name registration

Adrienne Boswell <arbpen2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have
> never had a problem with them. They have great music on hold (Bob
> Parson's personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.

*chuckle* I haven't had to call them yet but ... I can't wait!
I just started using godaddy to host two of my domains ... one paid and one
free account. The only difference with the free account is 100px of top-
page real-estate. Same 5gig space and 250gig transfer.

I'd recommend godaddy's basic/beginner host package. Since Gemma is a
beginner and all :)

Judy
--
http://www.technohippie.com/

Chris S. 03-05-2006 07:57 PM

Water Cooler v2 wrote:
> I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
> a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
> that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
> the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
> registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
> What're the few best choices? Thanks!

Hello,

I also use Godaddy.com, and have for a few years now. I also know
several people who use Network Solutions. They're more expensive, but
they also have better domain searching tools than Godaddy.

Chris S.

Free Web Design Tools
http://www.impliedbydesign.com/free-...e-scripts.html

Richard Rundle 03-05-2006 08:43 PM

"NotMe" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:wcBOf.48$RC4.12@fe03.lga...

> Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
> transfer the registration.

But if you're not in Samoa, it shouldn't really be a problem, should it ?

--
Richard

Matt-the-Hoople 03-05-2006 09:03 PM

Re: Domain name registration

Quoth Water Cooler v2 in alt.www.webmaster

> I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
> a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
> that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
> the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
> registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
>
> What're the few best choices? Thanks!

I've only read a few of the responses, but -

1. Register the name yourself. Never allow your host to register/manage the name for you. It's easy enough for you to
understand, and no one will be able to foul it up for you.

2. GoDaddy is a fine choice, as is (or was) Dotster. There are others, certainly, that are equally as good, those two are the ones
that I have experience with.

DO NOT USE:
Register.com - they arbitrarily reset auto renew without your knowledge - bad bad bad
Network Solutions - they're just too big for their britches and can't get out of their own way.

HTH

--
# www.mattlindi.com
# matt.lindi2@your_clothes_verizon.net