Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to get 'open save' box to pop up from link in email? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t164400-how-to-get-open-save-box-to-pop-up-from-link-in-email.html)

Flatch U. Lance 03-04-2006 04:08 PM

How to get 'open save' box to pop up from link in email?

If I sent someone an email with this link
http://www.mysite/files/downloadthis.zip

I want the Open, Save box to pop up when they click on the link.

How do I do this? Sorry if this is a rudimentary question. I couldn't find
the answer anywhere.

Thanks.

Steve Pugh 03-04-2006 04:56 PM

Re: How to get 'open save' box to pop up from link in email?

"Flatch U. Lance" <Flatch@ieroifodnvcdfoiweqnrodn.com> wrote:

>If I sent someone an email with this link
>http://www.mysite/files/downloadthis.zip
>
>I want the Open, Save box to pop up when they click on the link.
>
>How do I do this?

You don't. That is entirely up to the configuration of their browser
and/or mail client. They may have already configured their system to
save all zip files downloaded off the web to a certain location, or
some other action of their choice.

Steve

Steve Pugh <steve@pugh.net> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

Flatch U. Lance 03-04-2006 06:04 PM

"Steve Pugh" <steve@pugh.net> wrote in message
> "Flatch U. Lance" <Flatch@ieroifodnvcdfoiweqnrodn.com> wrote:
>
>>If I sent someone an email with this link
>>http://www.mysite/files/downloadthis.zip
>>
>>I want the Open, Save box to pop up when they click on the link.
>>
>>How do I do this?

> You don't. That is entirely up to the configuration of their browser
> and/or mail client. They may have already configured their system to
> save all zip files downloaded off the web to a certain location, or
> some other action of their choice.

But they can't save the zip file until they click 'save'. I suppose they
could block the popup. I just want to know how to set it up. I don't think
you're following my question.

Jose 03-04-2006 06:19 PM

Re: How to get 'open save' box to pop up from link in email?

> But they can't save the zip file until they click 'save'.

That depends on their browser and configuration. They control the
horzontal. They control the vertical.

Jose

Flatch U. Lance 03-04-2006 06:48 PM

"Jose" <teacherjh@aol.nojunk.com> wrote in message
news:jTkOf.18841$NS6.3407@newssvr30.news.prodigy.c om...
>> But they can't save the zip file until they click 'save'.

> That depends on their browser and configuration. They control the
> horzontal. They control the vertical.
>
> Jose
> --

Ok. Let me take this from another angle. Lets assume that a browser is set
up to pop up a box that asks them if they want to open or save a file. How
would I set the file on my end. Just slap a zip file somewhere on the server
that's hosting my site. Is there not some process?

Jim Higson 03-04-2006 07:17 PM

Flatch U. Lance wrote:

> "Jose" <teacherjh@aol.nojunk.com> wrote in message
> news:jTkOf.18841$NS6.3407@newssvr30.news.prodigy.c om...
>>> But they can't save the zip file until they click 'save'.

>> That depends on their browser and configuration. They control the
>> horzontal. They control the vertical.
>>
>> Jose
>> --

> Ok. Let me take this from another angle. Lets assume that a browser is set
> up to pop up a box that asks them if they want to open or save a file. How
> would I set the file on my end. Just slap a zip file somewhere on the
> server that's hosting my site.

That's it! The web wasn't designed to be difficult.
Have you tried this and found some other behaviour?

> Is there not some process?

What did you have in mind?

--
Jim

Jose 03-04-2006 07:44 PM

Re: How to get 'open save' box to pop up from link in email?

> Ok. Let me take this from another angle. Lets assume that a browser is set
> up to pop up a box that asks them if they want to open or save a file. How
> would I set the file on my end. Just slap a zip file somewhere on the server
> that's hosting my site.

Pretty much. Put the file on your server, and have the link point to
it. For example, you could put the file allpix.zip in your
images/collections folder, and then have your link be
if the images folder is a subfolder of the folder in which the page is
located. Use the full URL otherwise.

Jose

Flatch U. Lance 03-04-2006 07:46 PM

news:e6mOf.2842$VP3.1924@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
>> Ok. Let me take this from another angle. Lets assume that a browser is
>> set up to pop up a box that asks them if they want to open or save a
>> file. How would I set the file on my end. Just slap a zip file somewhere
>> on the server that's hosting my site.

> Pretty much. Put the file on your server, and have the link point to it.
> For example, you could put the file allpix.zip in your images/collections
> folder, and then have your link be
> if the images folder is a subfolder of the folder in which the page is
> located. Use the full URL otherwise.

Thanks Jose, That's exactly what I was looking for.