Velocity Reviews

-   -   hide real URL on webpage (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t163745-hide-real-url-on-webpage.html)

Markus Mannheim 12-20-2005 01:03 PM

hide real URL on webpage

Hi,

i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
For any help thanks in advance,

Markus

David Dorward 12-20-2005 01:41 PM

Re: hide real URL on webpage

Markus Mannheim wrote:

> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.

You can't ... at least not in any way that can't be bypassed easily (well,
short of implementing a proxy at the original URL).

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Jose 12-20-2005 01:55 PM

Re: hide real URL on webpage

> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
> I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
> http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
> browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
> I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.

You mean, like showing www.paypal.com and leading to www.phishsite.nu?

When the link doesn't match what I expect it will be, I take it as a
sign of sleasy dishonesty and I don't go there. What are valid reasons
for hiding (behind) a domain?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Jan Faerber 12-20-2005 04:57 PM

Re: hide real URL on webpage

Markus Mannheim ... output:

> Hi,
>
> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
> I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
> http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
> browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
> I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
> For any help thanks in advance,
>
> Markus

Did you try with an iFrame?

--
Jan

http://www.h-tut.at

Jim Higson 12-21-2005 02:15 PM

Re: hide real URL on webpage

Markus Mannheim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
> I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
> http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
> browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
> I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
> For any help thanks in advance,

You can do this on any domain you control by rewriting the URLs with regular
expressions with Apache mod rewrite.

Of course, you need to be have (from your above example) 'www.mydomain.com',
otherwise anyone could make their site look like it was any other site.

Anyway, if you have a proper domain, why use a dyndns one and not just put
everything on the real one?

--
Jim

Markus Mannheim 12-23-2005 09:23 AM

Re: hide real URL on webpage

Hi to all

"Jim Higson" <jh@333.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Markus Mannheim wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
>> I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
>> http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
>> browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
>> I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
>> For any help thanks in advance,

> You can do this on any domain you control by rewriting the URLs with
> regular
> expressions with Apache mod rewrite.
>
> Of course, you need to be have (from your above example)
> 'www.mydomain.com',
> otherwise anyone could make their site look like it was any other site.
>
> Anyway, if you have a proper domain, why use a dyndns one and not just put
> everything on the real one?

The reason was just to hide the real source of the pages.
It's not necessaary that it is "waterproof", just to keep the look
"professional"
On www.mydomain.com I have just limited space, and on my own webserver
(mydomain.dyndns.org) I can run asp scripts, more space etc....

Thanks for the replies!

Markus Mannheim 12-23-2005 09:29 AM

Re: hide real URL on webpage

Hi Jose,

"Jose" <teacherjh@aol.nojunk.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:93Upf.3565$Zb2.1037@newssvr23.news.prodigy.ne t...
>> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
>> I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
>> http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
>> browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
>> I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.

> You mean, like showing www.paypal.com and leading to www.phishsite.nu?
>
> When the link doesn't match what I expect it will be, I take it as a sign
> of sleasy dishonesty and I don't go there. What are valid reasons for
> hiding (behind) a domain?

Not the reason, this assumption is wrong.

Markus Mannheim 12-23-2005 09:32 AM

Re: hide real URL on webpage

Hi Jan,

"Jan Faerber" <jan.faerber@prioritytelecom.biz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:a4a99$43a837dc$d52f5a0b$24728@news.chello.at. ..
> Markus Mannheim ... output:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
>> I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
>> http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
>> browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
>> I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
>> For any help thanks in advance,
>>
>> Markus

> Did you try with an iFrame?

Ok this could work.
I'll try this.
Thanks.

Markus

Jose 12-23-2005 05:35 PM

Re: hide real URL on webpage

> Not the reason, this assumption is wrong.

I didn't assume it for your pages, but I assume it's possible for any
set of pages, and hidden sources need to overcome a lot of lack of trust
in the internet.

> On www.mydomain.com I have just limited space, and on my own webserver
> (mydomain.dyndns.org) I can run asp scripts, more space etc....

That's a valid reason for hosting some of the pages there. It's not a
reason to hide that fact.

> just to keep the look "professional"

I see nothing unprofessional about pages having varous sources. Large
commercial sites also do this. When this is done openly, and the link
is =from= a page I know to be valid, I'm ok with it. But when the link
is deceptive, it casts a sleasy light on the entire site.

At least for those who notice.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Rob McAninch 12-23-2005 05:58 PM

Re: hide real URL on webpage

Markus Mannheim>:

> The reason was just to hide the real source of the pages.
> It's not necessaary that it is "waterproof", just to keep the look
> "professional"
> On www.mydomain.com I have just limited space, and on my own webserver
> (mydomain.dyndns.org) I can run asp scripts, more space etc....

Well, my first thought would be to simply get a bigger hosting
account. Storage space is cheap, if your bandwidth use is low you
may be able to make a deal with some hosts to get more storage space.

If that's out of the question, then attempt to keep all the HTML
pages on your mydomain.com server. Store the images, css, everything
else that gets embedded in a HTML page on the server you want to hide.

'Invisible' frames are often frowned on since it is sometimes used
to get extra search engine or directory listings. E.g. dmoz.org
typically removes any framing attempts and lists the originating
URL. This allows the management software to work more efficiently.

--
Rob McAninch
http://rock13.com