Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to disable the scroll bar (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t163743-how-to-disable-the-scroll-bar.html)

hon123456 12-20-2005 03:03 AM

How to disable the scroll bar

Dear all,
Sorry to post again. I want to know how to disable the sroll
bar of IE. In javascript or HTML.

Thanks.

Jose 12-20-2005 03:09 AM

Re: How to disable the scroll bar

> Sorry to post again. I want to know how to disable the sroll
> bar of IE. In javascript or HTML.

Sorry to rain some, but =why= do you want to do this? It amounts to
handcuffs on the user. As a user, I utterly =resent= sites that try to
take over my browser and cripple me that way. SO, I turn Javascript off
- with that, you are "vulnerable", as I can view source, and your fancy
java handcuffs won't work.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Mark Parnell 12-20-2005 03:10 AM

Re: How to disable the scroll bar

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, hon123456
<peterhon321@yahoo.com.hk> spouted in alt.html:

> I want to know how to disable the sroll
> bar of IE.

Make your page really short.

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

Chris Beall 12-20-2005 03:56 AM

hon123456 wrote:
> Dear all,
> Sorry to post again. I want to know how to disable the sroll
> bar of IE. In javascript or HTML.
>
> Thanks.

hon123456,

See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#propdef-overflow for one way.

Keep in mind, however, that a scroll bar appears because there is
content outside the boundary of the window (or other block on the page).
If you disable the scroll bar the user will be unable to see that content.

I don't know why you would want to do that.

Chris Beall

Roy Schestowitz 12-20-2005 03:59 AM

Re: How to disable the scroll bar

__/ [Mark Parnell] on Tuesday 20 December 2005 03:10 \__

> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, hon123456
> <peterhon321@yahoo.com.hk> spouted in alt.html:
>
>> I want to know how to disable the sroll
>> bar of IE.

> Make your page really short.

*LOL*

It's amazing what people are trying to achieve and the reasons behind it.
Changing the colours of the scrollbars is stupid enough and I noticed that
even Konqueror supports it now. What's next? Manipulating the windows
decorations? Changing firewall policies? Installing some programs that the
user is /definitely/ going to fancy?

Sadly, Firefox still supports the request to resize windows and change to
full-screen mode. It has terrible impact on those who work while surfing and
looks hideous to those using multi-head displays.

Roy

Mark Parnell 12-20-2005 04:11 AM

Re: How to disable the scroll bar

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@schestowitz.com> spouted in alt.html:

> It's amazing what people are trying to achieve and the reasons behind it.

Unfortunately many deezyners think that while you are viewing their
site, the entire browser belongs to them.

> Changing the colours of the scrollbars is stupid enough

Perfect example.

> and I noticed that
> even Konqueror supports it now.

Really? Ick. I hope you can at least disable it.

> Sadly, Firefox still supports the request to resize windows and change to
> full-screen mode.

If we're thinking of the same thing, that can be disabled. OTTOMH in
Linux it's Edit>Preferences>Content>Advanced... (next to "Enable
JavaScript") - untick "Move and resize existing windows".

Stan McCann 12-20-2005 08:56 PM

Re: How to disable the scroll bar

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in

> __/ [Mark Parnell] on Tuesday 20 December 2005 03:10 \__
>
>> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, hon123456
>> <peterhon321@yahoo.com.hk> spouted in alt.html:
>>
>>> I want to know how to disable the sroll
>>> bar of IE.

I don't understand why it is that so many people want to disable this
or that. Or demand that you install this or that. Or demand that you
use this or that.

Why can't they understand that I have my computer(s) set up the way I
want and NO, I'm not going to let them change it.

>> Make your page really short.

> *LOL*

I did too.

> It's amazing what people are trying to achieve and the reasons
> behind it. Changing the colours of the scrollbars is stupid enough
> and I noticed that even Konqueror supports it now. What's next?
> Manipulating the windows decorations? Changing firewall policies?
> Installing some programs that the user is /definitely/ going to
> fancy?

We already have stuff getting installed through web pages. Where do
you think spyware comes from? I rarely get any though as I do not
allow any client side scripting or cookies except on very few pages
that I have as "My Favorites" in that other browser. Those are pages I
need that require scripting and/or cookies. My banking. My time and
leave reports at work. A very few others that I *need*, not want.

> Sadly, Firefox still supports the request to resize windows and
> change to full-screen mode. It has terrible impact on those who work
> while surfing and looks hideous to those using multi-head displays.

Through scripting. My windows never gets resized, moved, etc. All of
my general browsing is done using FF locked down tight. Sure, I run
into web sites telling me that I must enable this or that or download
this or that plug in. I usually find what I want somewhere else pretty
easily.

Scripting can do some great stuff prettying up a page, but if you
require it, you are losing some of your market and in most cases don't
even know it. I rarely write to sites I leave because of scripting.

http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Greg N. 12-20-2005 11:02 PM

Stan McCann wrote:

> We already have stuff getting installed through web pages. Where do
> you think spyware comes from? I rarely get any though as I do not
> allow any client side scripting or cookies ...

How can enabling cookies facilitate a web page "install stuff" without
my explicit consent?

Likewise, how can client side scripting do that?

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Stan McCann 12-21-2005 04:06 AM

Re: How to disable the scroll bar

"Greg N." <yodel_dodel@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Stan McCann wrote:
>

>> We already have stuff getting installed through web pages. Where
>> do you think spyware comes from? I rarely get any though as I do
>> not allow any client side scripting or cookies ...

> How can enabling cookies facilitate a web page "install stuff"
> without my explicit consent?
>
> Likewise, how can client side scripting do that?

A very few years ago, I would have been asking the same. Now, I
really don't care how they do it; they do it. Cookies? You're
probably right, but who knows? Client side? I'm pretty damn
uncomfortable allowing just anyone that wants to write a program to
run it on my computer before I even know what it does.

Bottom line for me though is watching the computer service guys (thank
goodness I don't do that anymore) running from office to office
cleaning up computers of people that "just browse the web" while I
never[1] get anything on any machines I use. Coincidence? I've done
some programming from the early days programming in Apple basic, then
Atari and Amiga and on to compatibles where I got away from basic to C
and Assembly.

I know what could be done with those languages but you had to get it
on the computer to do anything. Duh! Client side. On the computer.
I've not studied in depth client side, although I know some pretty
neat stuff can be done. Unfortunately, so can some pretty nasty
stuff. I consider opening windows when I don't want windows opened or
maximizing my window when I don't work that way etc., etc. nasty. I
don't *know* what else can be done.

[1] Never say never. I had some kind of spyware thing about a year
ago that was creating havoc on one of my systems.

Greg N. 12-21-2005 10:08 AM

Stan McCann wrote:

> I don't *know* what else can be done.

Cookies have nothing to do with malicious code getting to execute on
your computer.

There were a few security holes with Javascript and Java a few years
ago, but today, on an up-to-date system, they can't do _real_ harm.

I agree that popping up and resizing windows is annoying, and that some
people (although decent browswers have other means to achieve that) will
even disable scripting to prevent that. That's ok, but it won't do a
thing towards preventing viruses, trojans, and spyware getting into your
system.

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/