Velocity Reviews

-   -   Different Views in Different Browsers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t163646-different-views-in-different-browsers.html)

Doug Mazzacua 12-08-2005 03:05 AM

Different Views in Different Browsers

I noticed that that <ul> lists display differently with <br> between
<li>s in IE and Mozilla.

Does anyone know of a reference that catalogs all of the known types
of differences in display between browsers? Or do you all just do
multiple tests of all your pages?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Center For Practical Self Defense
Riverside, California
www.centerforpracticalselfdefense.com

kchayka 12-08-2005 04:48 AM

Re: Different Views in Different Browsers

Doug Mazzacua wrote:
> I noticed that that <ul> lists display differently with <br> between
> <li>s in IE and Mozilla.

If you must post to multiple newsgroups, cross post and set a follow-up
group. Never multi-post.
<URL:http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html>

Chaddy2222 12-08-2005 11:45 AM

Doug Mazzacua wrote:

> I noticed that that <ul> lists display differently with <br> between
> <li>s in IE and Mozilla.
>
> Does anyone know of a reference that catalogs all of the known types
> of differences in display between browsers?

I am not aware of any such documentation..
Othwise we would not have all the probs with all the different browsers
around the place.
Or do you all just do
> multiple tests of all your pages?

You should be doing that anyway regardless of what browser you are
testing on.
As a reference I use IE6 as my default browser but have a copy of
FireFox to use as a development tool. (specifically to test web pages).

Dylan Parry 12-08-2005 12:01 PM

Re: Different Views in Different Browsers

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Doug Mazzacua
finally proclaimed:

> I noticed that that <ul> lists display differently with <br> between
> <li>s in IE and Mozilla.

You mean something like this?

<ul>
<li>Item 1</li>
<li>Item 2</li>
<li>Item n</li>
</ul>

Well it is *invalid* code, so I'm not surprised that it looks different
on different browsers. If you meant having the line breaks *within* the
list items, then I haven't come across that problem before.

--
Dylan Parry

Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

Barbara de Zoete 12-08-2005 12:06 PM

Re: Different Views in Different Browsers

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 04:05:56 +0100, Doug Mazzacua <d_mazza@surfbest.net>
wrote:

> I noticed that that <ul> lists display differently with <br> between
> <li>s in IE and Mozilla.

Why on earth would one put br between list items? You're lucky that
combination gests displayed for it is no valid code I know of.

> Center For Practical Self Defense

If you want to add a signature block to your post, make it so that it is
properly seperated from the content by using a '-- ' (that is
dash-dash-space-new line).

Jeanne D 12-09-2005 03:43 PM

Re: Different Views in Different Browsers

To control line spacing? I'm not sure, but usually there is a reason.

Doug Mazzacua 12-14-2005 04:47 AM

Re: Different Views in Different Browsers

On 9 Dec 2005 07:43:34 -0800, "Jeanne D" <jeannedecarolis@netzero.com>
wrote:

>To control line spacing? I'm not sure, but usually there is a reason.

Yes, that is correct, I was using the <br> to control line spacing.
Isn't that the intent of <br>? Why else would anyone use <br>?

If using <br> in an unordered list is invalid, how would you put space
between unordered list items?

Mark Parnell 12-14-2005 04:49 AM

Re: Different Views in Different Browsers

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Doug Mazzacua
<d_mazza@surfbest.net> spouted in alt.html:

> If using <br> in an unordered list is invalid, how would you put space
> between unordered list items?

Someone already answered that in one of the other newsgroups you
multiposted to.

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning: