Velocity Reviews

-   -   CSS and Safari - Help Please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t163579-css-and-safari-help-please.html)

jspsfo@gmail.com 11-30-2005 06:29 PM

CSS and Safari - Help Please

I cannot seem to get my new css layout
(http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
not in safari.

Can anyone offer any insight - it would be greatly appreciated!

vdP 11-30-2005 07:37 PM

Re: CSS and Safari - Help Please

jspsfo@gmail.com wrote:
> I cannot seem to get my new css layout
> (http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
> in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
> not in safari.
>
> Can anyone offer any insight - it would be greatly appreciated!

I hate to disappoint you, but your page doesn't work in (my) Opera 8.51
on Windows XP SP2 either. Unfortunately, I don't know why, but maybe
somebody else does.

vdP

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 11-30-2005 08:56 PM

jspsfo@gmail.com wrote:

> I cannot seem to get my new css layout
> (http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
> in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
> not in safari.

Firefox 1.0.7, Win2K.

You must have really super good eyes, jspsfo. 11px italic text is
extremely hard to read. You should stop using <em> for the complete
content. (Yeah, Slashdot is hard to read as well.)

Set: body { font-size: 100%; ... } That way we will all get our
preferred default size and we will be happy. Only adjust other parts as
necessary, such as h1 {font-size: 160%; }, h2 .. etc.

I changed:
.postBox { /* added the following */
font-size:100%;
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

and added:
em { font-style: normal; }

and it was readable. By the way, this is really easy to do with the
Firefox Web Developer Toolbar, and "Edit CSS".
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

It seems to be stuck on the left side of my browser window.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

jspsfo@gmail.com 11-30-2005 09:13 PM

Re: CSS and Safari - Help Please

Thanks very much for the info bts - I appreciate you taking the time.

As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
for browsers which have HUGE default sizes? Ideally I'd like some
control over this.

David Dorward 11-30-2005 09:22 PM

jspsfo@gmail.com wrote:

> As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
> for browsers which have HUGE default sizes?

Use lengths that are relative to the font size for specifying
heights/widths/etc of elements.

> Ideally I'd like some control over this.

If they user has picked a huge font size, it is almost certainly due to
being unable to comfortably read anything smaller. Having control over this
would not be a good thing.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Dylan Parry 11-30-2005 09:23 PM

Re: CSS and Safari - Help Please

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?",
jspsfo@gmail.com finally proclaimed:

> As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
> for browsers which have HUGE default sizes?

Don't even try to. If the user has chosen a large default-font size,
that is their right to do so. Who are you to come along and make it
difficult for them to read a site? If the *browser* was initially set to
have a large font size, then the user will probably be used to this and
not care if your site has a larger font that on their mate's machine.

> Ideally I'd like some control over this.

The user's choice of default font size is not yours to "control". Stop
wanting this.

Apologies for being über-blunt, but sometimes it just needs saying :)

--
Dylan Parry

Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

jspsfo@gmail.com 11-30-2005 09:29 PM

Re: CSS and Safari - Help Please

fair enough - I shan't mess with the font size (or rather leave it at
100%) :)

but...
>>>Use lengths that are relative to the font size for specifying

heights/widths/etc of elements.

can you give an example? for instance my .mainbox is set at 595 px -
is this acceptable?

David Dorward 11-30-2005 09:35 PM

jspsfo@gmail.com wrote:

>> Use lengths that are relative to the font size for specifying
>> heights/widths/etc of elements.

> can you give an example?

width: 25em;

> for instance my .mainbox is set at 595 px -
> is this acceptable?

Assuming that the syntax you use doesn't have a space in it, then it
conforms to the CSS syntax rules. It isn't a length that is relative to the
font size though.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

dorayme 11-30-2005 09:40 PM

Re: CSS and Safari - Help Please

> From: jspsfo@gmail.com

> I cannot seem to get my new css layout
> (http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
> in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
> not in safari.
>
> Can anyone offer any insight - it would be greatly appreciated!

I will look when I next fire up Safari if you have not already
been helped. In the meantime, you left out a hash in the css on
..tablecontent for background-color...

Oh, and your font-size is too small. Let loose and let the user
decide more (at least be a bit conservative if you are going to
specify less than 100% - 100% is /supposed/ to mean the size at
which the reasonably intelligent user of a browser finds
comfortable by either (a) setting it how he or she finds it
comfortable or (b) not changing it because he or she finds it
set right for well designed sites. Yes, i know, there is
something fishily motherhood about the last clause. Anyway, I
would not recommend using px. At least don't do this. You will
for sure be advised by others about this. You have already made
the design narrow in fixed width, I expect you then feel the
need to follow this constraint logic and cram things in... Maybe
you need to consider letting loose with the design and allowing
more of a users screen to be used and then less need to fix
small fonts. Excuse me for slight digress...

--
dorayme

Frank Olieu 11-30-2005 09:41 PM

_jspsfo@gmail.com_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (30-11-2005 19:29):

> I cannot seem to get my new css layout
> (http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
> in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
> not in safari.

Well, it doesn't look too good in Konqueror either (Linux KDE, same rendering
engine as Safari), but it's still 'viewable'.
Opera 8.5 Win32 (XP sp2) : breaks almost completely...
IE6 and Firefox 1.5 : some small differences, but somehow usable.

I'm not sure this helps a lot... :)

--
Venlig hilsen | Kind regards | Cordialement
Frank