Velocity Reviews

-   -   a tag style with css (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t163521-a-tag-style-with-css.html)

Michael Huhn 11-23-2005 05:26 PM

a tag style with css

Hello,

I've got a small problem to define an a Tag via css.style sheet.
In my html page I have a couple of href. These links are always visible in the status bar as soon as they get the mouse over event.
I don't want that the user is able to see where the href is linked.
I found the following source code to customize the status bar as soon as I get the mouse over event:

<A HREF="page.html" onMouseOver="self.status='Message';
return true" onMouseOut="self.status=";return true">text</A>

I want to define this in my css file which I is included in each html file I have. But I can't find the css file syntax for this.
Do I have to define this in the style hwere I defined the link, hover, visited ... ??

for example style.css:
a:link { color:#666666; font-size: 16px; }
a:visited { color:#666666; font-size: 16px; }

Thank u for your help.

Michael

Els 11-23-2005 05:32 PM

Re: a tag style with css

Michael Huhn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got a small problem to define an a Tag via css.style sheet.
> In my html page I have a couple of href. These links are always visible in the status bar as soon as they get the mouse over event.
> I don't want that the user is able to see where the href is linked.

Why?
I will always be able to see that.

> I found the following source code to customize the status bar as
> soon as I get the mouse over event:
>
> <A HREF="page.html" onMouseOver="self.status='Message'; return
> true" onMouseOut="self.status=";return true">text</A>

Bad idea. If I would have JavaScript enabled, and notice that I can't
see where the link is going, I'll be paranoid, thinking you're trying
to trick me into opening something weird :-)

> I want to define this in my css file which I is included in each
> html file I have. But I can't find the css file syntax for this.

You can't define JavaScript in a CSS file. CSS is for styling.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Barbara de Zoete 11-23-2005 05:43 PM

Re: a tag style with css

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:26:26 +0100, Michael Huhn <michael.hnn@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hello,

Firstly, please set your client to send plain text messages to usenet. Not
html. They are too big for no reason at all.

> I've got a small problem to define an a Tag via css.style sheet.

Secondly, you can't define anything. You can just suggest the looks of an
element.
What you call 'an a Tag' is the anchor element, not a tag. The tag is what
you use to mark some content up to be an anchor.

> In my html page I have a couple of href.

Thirdly, it is usualy best to provide an URL so we all get to see what you
are talking about.

> These links are always visible in the status bar as soon as they get the
> mouse over event.
> I don't want that the user is able to see where the href is linked.

Why is that? What do you have to hide? Do you import someone elses pages
into a frame on your page or something? Playing some music, while I don't
want that? Trying to execute a small app, like installing an expensive
dialer? Other ugly methods?
There are a few unsafe things going on in the www. That means for example
that I would not ever click on a link that doesn't show me where it takes
me or what it does for me.

> I found the following source code to customize the status bar as soon as
> I get the mouse over event:
>
> <A HREF="page.html" onMouseOver="self.status='Message';
> return true" onMouseOut="self.status=";return true">text</A>

Oh, that's okay then. Do use that. Since I don't have any javascript
running, it won't bother me a bit. And it has an error btw.

> I want to define this in my css file which I is included in each html
> file I have. But I can't find the css file syntax for this.
> Do I have to define this in the style hwere I defined the link, hover,
> visited ... ??
>
> for example style.css:
> a:link { color:#666666; font-size: 16px; }

Ah, anyone not see that coming? Don't use fixed font sizes. People with IE
won't be able to (easily) change font size in their screen if they
want/need to. Use something like 100% or 1em or other relative unit.

> a:visited { color:#666666; font-size: 16px; }

And the last mistake, don't make links and visited links look the same.
People want to know if they've been there already.

Then to the answer: yes, you have to set properties and their values for
the link, for all it's 'forms':

a:link
a:visited
a:hover
a:focus
a:active

Greg N. 11-23-2005 05:44 PM

Re: a tag style with css

Michael Huhn wrote:

> I don't want that the user is able to see where the href is linked.

Uh-uh. Put on your asbestos suit and duck, man.

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Michael Huhn 11-23-2005 05:52 PM

Re: a tag style with css

I am absolteley with you.

But the problem I have is that the webserver accept that the user is able to
delete somthing from the link and they can see the file and directory
structure of the fileserver.

Example:

www.test.html/html/index.html

If they delete the index.html they can see the file structure of
www.test.html/html And they can see a complete list of the files they are in
the html folder:

Index.html

Test2.html

Test.html

Xxxxx

I don't want this. That's the reason why I want to make the link invisible
in the status bar.

May be u have another useful reason for me.

:-)

Michael

Barbara de Zoete 11-23-2005 06:07 PM

Re: a tag style with css

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:44:21 +0100, Greg N. <yodel_dodel@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Michael Huhn wrote:
>
>> I don't want that the user is able to see where the href is linked.

> Uh-uh. Put on your asbestos suit and duck, man.

rofl

Barbara de Zoete 11-23-2005 06:15 PM

Re: a tag style with css

[ Please quote properly and do not top-post ]

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:52:59 +0100, Michael Huhn <michael.hnn@gmx.de>
wrote:

> "Els" <els.aNOSPAM@tiscali.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>> Michael Huhn wrote:

[ I want to be able to obscure the URL from the visitor with javascript ]

>> Bad idea. If I would have JavaScript enabled, and notice that I can't
>> see where the link is going, I'll be paranoid, thinking you're trying
>> to trick me into opening something weird :-)

>> --
>> Els http://locusmeus.com/

[ Please delete the signature block by hand, if your news client doesn't
do that for you. ]

> I am absolteley with you.
>
> But the problem I have is that the webserver accept that the user is
> able todelete somthing from the link and they can see the file and
> directory
> structure of the fileserver.

So, set the server up correctly, so visitors can't do that anymore.

> Example:
>
> www.test.html/html/index.html
>
> If they delete the index.html they can see the file structure of
> www.test.html/html And they can see a complete list of the files they
> are in the html folder:

They still can, you know. If they arrive on a page, they can simply snip
part of the URL from the address bar. You want to hide the address bar too?

I had this problem and I do not have access to set the server up properly
(cheap host; free as a matter of fact). What I did was put an index.html
in every 'directory' there is in my site. If a visitor types an URL to a
directory without a filename this index.html will open. So no visitor gets
to see my directories and files lists.

Alan J. Flavell 11-23-2005 09:01 PM

Re: a tag style with css

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Michael Huhn blurted out atop a fullquote:

> But the problem I have is that the webserver accept that the user is able to
> delete somthing from the link and they can see the file and directory
> structure of the fileserver.

The problem you have, then, is that you're trying to solve the wrong
problem.

> www.test.html/html/index.html
>
> If they delete the index.html they can see the file structure of
> www.test.html/html And they can see a complete list of the files they are in
> the html folder:

So fix the server configuration to avoid that happening.

> I don't want this. That's the reason why I want to make the link invisible
> in the status bar.

No, it isn't. It's the reason that you erroneously *think* you want
that. Even if you succeeded with that (which, fortuately, readers can
defend themselves against, anyway), you would not have solved the real
problem.

Mark Parnell 11-23-2005 09:51 PM

Re: a tag style with css

In our last episode, "Greg N." <yodel_dodel@yahoo.com> pronounced to
alt.html:

> Uh-uh. Put on your asbestos suit and duck, man.

Where do I get an asbestos duck?

--
Mark Parnell
http://clarkecomputers.com.au

dorayme 11-23-2005 10:21 PM

Re: a tag style with css

> From: "Barbara de Zoete" <b_de_zoete@hotmail.com>
>
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:26:26 +0100, Michael Huhn <michael.hnn@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,

> Firstly, please set your client to send plain text messages to usenet. Not
> html. They are too big for no reason at all.

It annoyed me for a different reason, it was too small and not in the font I
normally see...

--
dorayme

(Speaking, of course, from BdeZ's killfile)