Velocity Reviews

-   -   transparent and inherit of background (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t163215-transparent-and-inherit-of-background.html)

Edwin van der Vaart 10-20-2005 08:26 PM

transparent and inherit of background

Good day to all,

Why does inherit react the same as transparent when using for background?
What is inherit means as property for background?
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Persoonlijke website

Toby Inkster 10-20-2005 09:53 PM

Re: transparent and inherit of background

Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

> Why does inherit react the same as transparent when using for background?

It doesn't.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Toby Inkster 10-20-2005 10:12 PM

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>
>> Why does inherit react the same as transparent when using for background?

> It doesn't.

Perhaps I should illustrate with an example:

http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/background

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Neredbojias 10-20-2005 10:47 PM

Re: transparent and inherit of background

With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:

> Toby Inkster wrote:
> > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
> >
> >> Why does inherit react the same as transparent when using for background?

> > It doesn't.

> Perhaps I should illustrate with an example:
>
> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/background

I don't see any difference. Oh wait, I'm using IE...

--
Neredbojias

Mark Parnell 10-20-2005 10:51 PM

Re: transparent and inherit of background

In our last episode, Edwin van der Vaart <e.vandervaart@nospamgmail.com>
pronounced to alt.html:

> Why does inherit react the same as transparent when using for background?

It doesn't. It looks like it if you are only using background colours
(unless the child element spills out of the parent), but the difference
is evident if you use a background image, as you can see in Toby's
example.

> What is inherit means as property for background?

It means the same thing as specifying exactly the same rules for the
background for both elements.

--
Mark Parnell
http://clarkecomputers.com.au

Jonathan N. Little 10-20-2005 10:58 PM

Neredbojias wrote:
> With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:
>

>>Toby Inkster wrote:

>>>It doesn't.

>>Perhaps I should illustrate with an example:
>>
>>http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/background

> I don't see any difference. Oh wait, I'm using IE...

Damn! Neredbojias is correct! Don't use MSIE except for browser checking
and never noticed this before...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Edwin van der Vaart 10-21-2005 08:23 AM

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Toby Inkster wrote:
>
>>Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>>

>>>Why does inherit react the same as transparent when using for background?

>>It doesn't.

> Perhaps I should illustrate with an example:
>
> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/background

Sorry, can't access to the url.

Jonathan N. Little 10-21-2005 12:48 PM

Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
> Toby Inkster wrote:
>
>> Toby Inkster wrote:

>>> It doesn't.

>> Perhaps I should illustrate with an example:
>>
>> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/background

> Sorry, can't access to the url.

Why? Works for me.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Edwin van der Vaart 10-21-2005 08:04 PM

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>> Toby Inkster wrote:

>>> Perhaps I should illustrate with an example:
>>>
>>> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/background

>> Sorry, can't access to the url.

> Why? Works for me.

I don't know. I tried on mine Linux and Windows machine at 10:00 MEST

Edwin van der Vaart 10-21-2005 08:06 PM

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Toby Inkster wrote:
>>Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>>
>>>Why does inherit react the same as transparent when using for background?

>>It doesn't.

> Perhaps I should illustrate with an example:
>
> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/background

I see what you mean.
So, I'll use transparent for background.
Thanx for the example.