Velocity Reviews

-   -   2 DHCP servers in the same LAN but on different VLANS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162993-2-dhcp-servers-in-the-same-lan-but-on-different-vlans.html)

ZooOYork@gmail.com 04-26-2006 08:41 PM

2 DHCP servers in the same LAN but on different VLANS

Hi,

I was wondering if its possible to setup 2 DHCP servers in the same Lan

but its going to be in 2 different VLANS. How would i separate the dhcp

servers
so theres not conflicts. I will be using a new verizon TLS ethernet
drop to our main office
and want to put a domain controller there with DHCP.
any ideas?

thanks in advance

Doug McIntyre 04-26-2006 10:34 PM

Re: 2 DHCP servers in the same LAN but on different VLANS

ZooOYork@gmail.com writes:
>I was wondering if its possible to setup 2 DHCP servers in the same Lan
>but its going to be in 2 different VLANS. How would i separate the dhcp
>servers to not conflict.

If there are two different VLANs, there won't be any conflict if there
are DHCP servers on both?? Traffic from one VLAN can't talk to another
VLAN without some layer-3 device routing between the two, and DHCP
won't cross layer-3 without "ip helper".

ZooOYork@gmail.com 04-27-2006 03:14 PM

Re: 2 DHCP servers in the same LAN but on different VLANS

It makes sense about DHCP will not be crossing over to the other VLAN
without the iphelper.
But would the domain replication pass through to the other domain
controllers?

Scott Lowe 04-27-2006 05:52 PM

On 2006-04-27 11:14:37 -0400, ZooOYork@gmail.com said:

> It makes sense about DHCP will not be crossing over to the other VLAN
> without the iphelper.
> But would the domain replication pass through to the other domain
> controllers?

That depends...we'll need to know a lot more about your setup in order
to answer that. Plus, that's a discussion best reserved for a
different newsgroup.

--
Regards,
Scott Lowe