Velocity Reviews

-   -   css or tables (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162885-css-or-tables.html)

nathankippen@gmail.com 09-26-2005 04:47 PM

css or tables

I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
webpage layout?

Here is a link to the first website that I have built from the
gournd-up. Please leave some feedback if you have any.

http://www.sandiegoonthebeach.com

p.s. it's not completely done, but it's approaching there.

Jonathan N. Little 09-26-2005 05:00 PM

Re: css or tables

nathankippen@gmail.com wrote:
> I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
> define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
> webpage layout?

a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Thomas Jollans 09-26-2005 05:12 PM

Re: css or tables

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> nathankippen@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
>> define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
>> webpage layout?
>>

> a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

and the answer is CSS

09-26-2005 07:11 PM

Re: css or tables

"Thomas Jollans" <nospam@jollans.com>
>> a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

> and the answer is CSS

'cause the tables are old, and were not invented to use for positioning,
which some ppl still can't understand and make heavy, 200 kB htmls...

Regards,
Talthen

Jonathan N. Little 09-26-2005 08:49 PM

Re: css or tables

talthen.z-serwera.o2@nospam.pl wrote:

> "Thomas Jollans" <nospam@jollans.com>
>
>>>a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

>>and the answer is CSS

> 'cause the tables are old, and were not invented to use for positioning,
> which some ppl still can't understand and make heavy, 200 kB htmls...

additionally CSS saves you time and effort, if all you want to do is
change the appearance of blocks of text in tables requires extensive
editing of your HTML, whereas via DIV's an CSS only need to change your CSS.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Andy Dingley 09-26-2005 09:08 PM

Re: css or tables

On 26 Sep 2005 09:47:16 -0700, nathankippen@gmail.com wrote:

>I would like to get people's opinion

Your lack of basic respect for other newsgroup posters, evidenced by
your clear total failure to even _try_ searching the archive, earns you
an auto-plonk on sight.

Neredbojias 09-26-2005 09:26 PM

Re: css or tables

With neither quill nor qualm, nathankippen@gmail.com quothed:

> I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
> define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
> webpage layout?

Layout? Ah, neither. The best layout is done with html.

> Here is a link to the first website that I have built from the
> gournd-up. Please leave some feedback if you have any.
>
> http://www.sandiegoonthebeach.com
>

> p.s. it's not completely done, but it's approaching there.

Your background's too bright for the content.

--
Neredbojias

Jake 09-27-2005 07:49 AM

Re: css or tables

In message <boogj1hjcigqe7cu0kj28la5e182o4fomt@4ax.com>, Andy Dingley
<dingbat@codesmiths.com> writes
>On 26 Sep 2005 09:47:16 -0700, nathankippen@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>I would like to get people's opinion

>Your lack of basic respect for other newsgroup posters, evidenced by
>your clear total failure to even _try_ searching the archive, earns you
>an auto-plonk on sight.

I feel sure he's full of remorse now that you've pointed that out to him
.....;-)

Regards.

--
Jake (jake@gododdin.demon.co.uk -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)

rf 09-27-2005 08:09 AM

Re: css or tables

Jake wrote:

> I feel sure he's full of remorse now that you've pointed that out to him
> ....;-)

Given that the OP is yet another one from groups.google what do you think?

Cheers
Richard.

Marc 09-27-2005 08:32 AM

Re: css or tables

nathankippen@gmail.com wrote:
> I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
> define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
> webpage layout?

Layout is done with best HTML, tabular data with <table> and associated
tags, and appearance with CSS.

> Here is a link to the first website that I have built from the
> gournd-up. Please leave some feedback if you have any.
>
> http://www.sandiegoonthebeach.com

Work on the quality of your pictures. On first glance I thought the
website was showing pictures of a crumbling old building due to the poor
resizing of your photos. It's not a website that would convince me to
stay at your hotel.

And I agree with the other poster - the background needs to go - it's
too distracting.

Marc