Velocity Reviews

-   -   Alternatives to Iframes? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162825-alternatives-to-iframes.html)

osman 09-21-2005 01:16 AM

Alternatives to Iframes?

Hi all, I'm working on a site where I need to have a gallery.
I've been given a few pictures to start off with and I'd like to show
it all on one page.
My one works, but there are issues.
It has little code (unordered list) and works(?) in all browsers :

http://chameleonmoments.com/station13/art.html
(not tested in ie)

On one side I've used an iframe with a target name (name="picture").
On the other side there are the thumbnail links with target
destinations (target="picture").

I know that the use of iframes is a real no-no, I want to know what the
alternatives are.
Something simple and obvious, surely.

Javascript is not an option and neither is php. Its a static 5 page
site.

Dr Clue 09-21-2005 01:36 AM

Re: Alternatives to Iframes?

osman wrote:
> Hi all, I'm working on a site where I need to have a gallery.
> I've been given a few pictures to start off with and I'd like to show
> it all on one page.
> My one works, but there are issues.
> It has little code (unordered list) and works(?) in all browsers :
>
> http://chameleonmoments.com/station13/art.html
> (not tested in ie)
>
> On one side I've used an iframe with a target name (name="picture").
> On the other side there are the thumbnail links with target
> destinations (target="picture").
>
> I know that the use of iframes is a real no-no, I want to know what the
> alternatives are.
> Something simple and obvious, surely.
>
> Javascript is not an option and neither is php. Its a static 5 page
> site.

Something like this could work with a div in the page

document.getElementById("DIVpicture").innerHTML='< img src="my.gif">')

--
--.
--=<> Dr. Clue (A.K.A. Ian A. Storms) <>=-- C++,HTML, CSS,Javascript

Jonathan N. Little 09-21-2005 03:28 AM

Re: Alternatives to Iframes?

<snip>

Ah, OP said:

>> Javascript is not an option and neither is php. Its a static 5 page
>> site.

And that is JavaScript....

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Dr Clue 09-21-2005 05:59 AM

Re: Alternatives to Iframes?

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Dr Clue wrote:
> <snip>
> Ah, OP said:
>
> >> Javascript is not an option and neither is php. Its a static 5 page
> >> site.

Oops , did not see that. Bound to miss-read one now and again,
thaks for pointing it out.

--
--.

Dr Clue 09-21-2005 07:58 AM

Re: Alternatives to Iframes?

osman wrote:
> Hi all, I'm working on a site where I need to have a gallery.
> I've been given a few pictures to start off with and I'd like to show
> it all on one page.
> My one works, but there are issues.
> It has little code (unordered list) and works(?) in all browsers :
>
> http://chameleonmoments.com/station13/art.html
> (not tested in ie)
>
> On one side I've used an iframe with a target name (name="picture").
> On the other side there are the thumbnail links with target
> destinations (target="picture").
>
> I know that the use of iframes is a real no-no, I want to know what the
> alternatives are.
> Something simple and obvious, surely.
>
> Javascript is not an option and neither is php. Its a static 5 page
> site.

I mis-posted before , as I had missed the part ruling out javascript,
but someone mentioned it so I thought I'd re-visit the question.

How about changing the link to

place the images spread down the page with
<a name="pictureOne">[pictureone]</a> underneath each image

<a name="pictureTwo">[pictureone]</a> underneath each image

Then you can put the rest of the screen elements as position:fixed

Appearancewise it should look the same as your iframe solution

--
--.

osman 09-21-2005 12:21 PM

Re: Alternatives to Iframes?

Dr Clue wrote
> so I thought I'd re-visit the question.

Thanks for having another go at it.
Interesting method.
You're suggesting having all the images load on the page and making the
links to them as anchors.
So the anchors take you to the pictures 'down' the page.
I really need to keep it all inside the 600px high design.
Maybe having the images stacked on top of each other will work.
Though I can't see how this will change the z-index, width/height or
any other style attribute of the images.

I'm working on it.
http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery4.html#nogo has some great examples,
but none that work 100% for me.

This is so easy with flash, but I'm determined to do it in xhtml.
Haven't looked at xframes or xml. Is that an easy option?

Dr Clue 09-21-2005 07:53 PM

Re: Alternatives to Iframes?

osman wrote:
> Dr Clue wrote
>
>>so I thought I'd re-visit the question.

> Thanks for having another go at it.
> Interesting method.
> You're suggesting having all the images load on the page and making the
> links to them as anchors.
> So the anchors take you to the pictures 'down' the page.
> I really need to keep it all inside the 600px high design.

Well , if done well , the person viewing the page would have an
itentical user experiance either way, so I'm not sure what the objection is

> Maybe having the images stacked on top of each other will work.
> Though I can't see how this will change the z-index, width/height or
> any other style attribute of the images.

I piddled with that thought too, and the nearest it would resolve in
my mind was an ugly piece of soup where the 500x500 display iframe
was replaced with divs/spans that were actually inside each of the links
and a variation on the css rule you are using did the trick trading out
the span portion of the rule for an id and having two spans
to talk to and two rules ending in id's instead of elements
As that thought went on , z-indexing indeed came into the proces, as I
pondered how I would actually click on these huge <a></a> constructs.

> I'm working on it.
> http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery4.html#nogo has some great examples,
> but none that work 100% for me.
>
> This is so easy with flash, but I'm determined to do it in xhtml.
> Haven't looked at xframes or xml. Is that an easy option?

I like flash about as much as I like microsoft, I'd much rather do
it in VEML. :)

--
--.

Rossz 09-21-2005 11:41 PM

Re: Alternatives to Iframes?

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo2.html

--
Rossz
God kills a kitten every time someone uses Internet Explorer

osman 09-23-2005 01:42 PM

Re: Alternatives to Iframes?

> Rossz wrote :
> http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo2.html

Thanks Rossz. Thats something that got me into this whole css thing a
year ago. I'm using a similar technique to show the rollovers in the
menu. They only show on rollover, not on click, so can't be used to
load the large image.

rossz 09-24-2005 05:59 PM

Re: Alternatives to Iframes?

osman wrote:
>>Rossz wrote :
>>http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo2.html

> Thanks Rossz. Thats something that got me into this whole css thing a
> year ago. I'm using a similar technique to show the rollovers in the
> menu. They only show on rollover, not on click, so can't be used to
> load the large image.

I'm sure it would be feasible to get it to do something on the click
like passing an image code back to itself, but that would require
something like PHP, Perl, or Javascript to process it.

--
Rossz
God kills a kitten each time someone uses Internet Explorer