Velocity Reviews

-   -   Inputting Greek letter in textarea (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162607-inputting-greek-letter-in-textarea.html)

dungping 08-30-2005 01:06 AM

Inputting Greek letter in textarea

Is it possible to directly enter Greek letters, such as Δ and
γ in the textarea. The entering is on the English keyboard, that
is, when pressing a key on the English keyboard, a Greek letter would
appear in the textarea.

Please teach. Thanks.

Roy Schestowitz 08-30-2005 04:37 AM

Re: Inputting Greek letter in textarea

__/ [dungping] on Tuesday 30 August 2005 02:06 \__

> Is it possible to directly enter Greek letters, such as Δ and
> γ in the textarea. The entering is on the English keyboard, that
> is, when pressing a key on the English keyboard, a Greek letter would
> appear in the textarea.
>
> Please teach. Thanks.

See the recent thread below. It is very similar 'anatomically'.

http://message-id.net/1125153119.285...oglegroups.com

Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz "Double your drive space - delete Windows"
http://Schestowitz.com

Jukka K. Korpela 08-30-2005 06:17 AM

"dungping" <dungping5@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to directly enter Greek letters, such as &Delta; and
> &gamma; in the textarea.

"&Delta;" and "&gamma;" are entity references, and it is not clear whether
you mean the references or the characters denoted by them. Apparently the
characters, so it would be better to say just "such as delta and gamma" (or
omit these words, since anyone who does not know what Greek letters are
will probably fail to understand the question anyway).

The answer is that it depends.

> The entering is on the English keyboard, that
> is, when pressing a key on the English keyboard,
> a Greek letter would appear in the textarea.

This depends on what you mean by "English keyboard". A physical keyboard
can be configured in many ways, and switching between different keyboard
layouts is easy as soon as you've learned how it works. The difficult part
is to memorize the assignments or to use a cheat sheet to check them.

Naturally, this also depends on the underlying system, available fonts,
etc. And what happens to the Greek letters when the form is submitted is
yet another story.

As so often, the crucial question is "why do you ask?" Are you asking about
browser usage, or about authoring? In the latter case, what is really the
problem you are trying to solve?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Els 08-30-2005 06:27 AM

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> A physical keyboard
> can be configured in many ways, and switching between different keyboard
> layouts is easy as soon as you've learned how it works.

Could it be it's so easy I do it by accident? Regularly I find myself
typing in a program, and all of a sudden I have a Spanish keyboard
instead of American. The only way I know to get rid of it, is close
and restart the program. It never happens for the more than one prog
at a time - it's like I'm typing in MSN and it switches to Spanish
keyboard, but TextPad is still behaving nicely. Or vice versa. Even
happens in browsers. Means I can't type a URL anymore, cause the '/'
has changed position. I'd love to know what I did to make it happen,
so I can reverse it without closing the program.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

rf 08-30-2005 06:54 AM

Els wrote:

> Could it be it's so easy I do it by accident? Regularly I find myself
> typing in a program, and all of a sudden I have a Spanish keyboard
> instead of American. The only way I know to get rid of it, is close
> and restart the program. It never happens for the more than one prog
> at a time - it's like I'm typing in MSN and it switches to Spanish
> keyboard, but TextPad is still behaving nicely. Or vice versa. Even
> happens in browsers. Means I can't type a URL anymore, cause the '/'
> has changed position. I'd love to know what I did to make it happen,
> so I can reverse it without closing the program.

You have the Spanish input language installed (along I presume with English
and Dutch). The input language is the service that maps the keyboard to the
requirements of the particular language.

In addition you have a hotkey set to activate Spanish. I don't know what the
default is but in my system I have a few languages installed and, for
example, Left Alt + Shift is the one to switch between languages. You mignt
have something odd like Ctrl + Shift + s to change to Spanish and you
sometimes accidently press Shift as well when you mean Ctrl + s to save.

The "current language" is not system wide, it is specified on a per window
basis. This is why it seems to you that it only happens with one program at
a time. One window is set to Spanish, the rest are set to [English | Dutch].

Find the language bar thingo just to the left of the system tray, probably
displays EN if you are in English. Right click properties and then Key
Settings.

Cheers
Richard.

Alan J. Flavell 08-30-2005 07:05 AM

On Tue, 29 Aug 2005, dungping wrote:

> Is it possible to directly enter Greek letters, [in textarea]

Depends on your OS and installation options whether you have input
methods for these letters, but with modern OSes it's usually feasible.

Perhaps if you'd be more explicit about your OS, you may get more specific
advice as to how to enable these options as necessary.

Copy/pasting the character from some kind of character-picker display
is an alternative approach if you haven't got an input method for it.

If it's meant to do what you ask for, then the page in question will need
to be in a character encoding which includes these characters. utf-8 is
usually a good choice nowadays (except NN4.* versions are broken).

> such as &Delta; and &gamma; in the textarea.

Please ask your question more precisely. Entering the characters
ampersand D e l t a semicolon is easy. I assumed you wanted to enter
the character itself, not some ampersand-notation representation of it.

good luck

Els 08-30-2005 08:28 AM

rf wrote:

> Els wrote:
>
>> Could it be it's so easy I do it by accident? Regularly I find myself
>> typing in a program, and all of a sudden I have a Spanish keyboard
>> instead of American. The only way I know to get rid of it, is close
>> and restart the program. It never happens for the more than one prog
>> at a time - it's like I'm typing in MSN and it switches to Spanish
>> keyboard, but TextPad is still behaving nicely. Or vice versa. Even
>> happens in browsers. Means I can't type a URL anymore, cause the '/'
>> has changed position. I'd love to know what I did to make it happen,
>> so I can reverse it without closing the program.

> You have the Spanish input language installed (along I presume with English
> and Dutch). The input language is the service that maps the keyboard to the
> requirements of the particular language.
>
> In addition you have a hotkey set to activate Spanish. I don't know what the
> default is but in my system I have a few languages installed and, for
> example, Left Alt + Shift is the one to switch between languages. You mignt
> have something odd like Ctrl + Shift + s to change to Spanish and you
> sometimes accidently press Shift as well when you mean Ctrl + s to save.
>
> The "current language" is not system wide, it is specified on a per window
> basis. This is why it seems to you that it only happens with one program at
> a time. One window is set to Spanish, the rest are set to [English | Dutch].

Okay, sounds all like it's very easy to solve indeed, just have to
find the hotkeys used on this PC.

> Find the language bar thingo just to the left of the system tray, probably
> displays EN if you are in English. Right click properties and then Key
> Settings.

I had to dig it up again (taken it off from there for the sake of
space), and although I tick the language bar, it doesn't appear. I
also can't find the language/keyboard from the configuration window (I
keep forgetting what it's called in English)

I will find it back eventually though :-)

Thanks for the info :-)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Els 08-30-2005 08:49 AM

Els wrote:

> rf wrote:
>
>> In addition you have a hotkey set to activate Spanish.

[...]
> I also can't find the language/keyboard from the configuration
> window (I keep forgetting what it's called in English)

Found it - removed hotkey - problem solved. Thanks again :-)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

rf 08-30-2005 09:24 AM

Els wrote:

> > rf wrote:
> >
> >> In addition you have a hotkey set to activate Spanish.

> Found it - removed hotkey - problem solved. Thanks again :-)

Glad to be of service M'Lady :-)

What *was* the hotkey (for future reference)?

Cheers
Richard.

Els 08-30-2005 09:50 AM

rf wrote:

>> Found it - removed hotkey - problem solved. Thanks again :-)

> Glad to be of service M'Lady :-)
>
> What *was* the hotkey (for future reference)?

I can't be sure - I just saw something with the word 'shift' in it and
deleted it, but looking at the options, it was probably alt-shift to
change the language, and ctrl-shift to change the keyboard.

This also explains why I have experienced two different Spanish
settings - there were 4 different keyboard settings in the list, of
which one Dutch language - Spanish keyboard, and one Spanish (Mexico)
language - Latin-American keyboard.
My regular setting is Dutch language - USA keyboard.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -