Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Clearing floaters in Mozilla (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162514-re-clearing-floaters-in-mozilla.html)

Fly Cooter 08-20-2005 05:11 AM

Re: Clearing floaters in Mozilla

In article <11gd0ad3rclt34a@news.supernews.com>, andreytarasevich@hotmail.com
says...

>Hello
>
>Consider the following simple piece of HTML
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

>left"></div>

>In IE 6 the 'clear' property in the second <div> appears to work, i.e. the
>second <div> is placed below the first one. In Mozilla 1.7.8 it is placed to

the
>right from the first <div>, i.e. it looks like the second <div>'s 'clear'
>property is completely ignored.
>
>Why is this happening? Which browser is behaving correctly? And if Mozilla's
>behavior is correct, then what's is the proper way to clear the floaters by
>using CSS properties?
>
>I know that <br clear="all"> will work in Mozilla, but it has its own issues

and
>also I'd like to be able to do it through CSS properties.

If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was created for
Windows. Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

--
Fly Cooter
http://fly-cooter.tripod.com

Neredbojias 08-20-2005 06:24 AM

Re: Clearing floaters in Mozilla

With neither quill nor qualm, Fly Cooter quothed:

> >I know that <br clear="all"> will work in Mozilla, but it has its own issues

> and
> >also I'd like to be able to do it through CSS properties.

> If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was created for
> Windows. Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
> different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

That's bullshit. Sure, Mozilla has problems and plenty of them but IE
has a class of greater-magnitude problems that shouldn't be extant. The
message prior to this original is a perfect example of what happens when
IE tries to "compensate" for faulty markup.

--
Neredbojias

Blinky the Shark 08-20-2005 07:44 AM

Fly Cooter wrote:

> If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was created for
> Windows. Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
> different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

Ever find out how to access Google Groups with an NNTP news client,
like you've sworn can be done?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Alan J. Flavell 08-20-2005 09:49 AM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Fly Cooter wrote:

> If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was
> created for Windows.

Don't change your posting address, you clearly don't have the remotest
clue. About anything much, if you think that a choice of OS rules out
the use of third party applications!

> Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
> different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

This very thread reminds us that IE rules itself out as a
web-compatible browser by disregarding mandatory requirements
of the interworking protocol.

Bye.

Shawn K. Quinn 08-20-2005 10:23 AM

Re: Clearing floaters in Mozilla

begin quotation
from Fly Cooter <fly_cooter_@example.com>
in message <1124510635.ae80b85928741163a84fd52500d9f461@bubba news>
> In article <11gd0ad3rclt34a@news.supernews.com>, andreytarasevich@hotmail.com
> says...
>> In IE 6 the 'clear' property in the second <div> appears to work,
>> i.e. the second <div> is placed below the first one. In Mozilla 1.7.8
>> it is placed to the right from the first <div>, i.e. it looks like
>> the second <div>'s 'clear' property is completely ignored.
>>
>> Why is this happening? Which browser is behaving correctly? And if
>> Mozilla's behavior is correct, then what's is the proper way to clear
>> the floaters by using CSS properties?
>>
>> I know that <br clear="all"> will work in Mozilla, but it has its own
>> issues and also I'd like to be able to do it through CSS properties.

> If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was created for
> Windows. Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
> different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

Absolutely terrible advice. Internet Explorer has more holes in it than
Swiss cheese, and fails miserably to implement many standards properly
(most notably, CSS, HTML, HTTP, and PNG).

There are reasons why Windows versions of Mozilla and Opera exist; the
one I can think of right off-hand is so one person can use the same
browser on multiple operating systems. There is no native, currently
maintained version of Internet Explorer for GNU/Linux and other GNU
variants, OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, MacOS 9, MacOS
X, IRIX, and, for that matter, just about every other operating system
out there *not* made by Microsoft.

--
/ __| |/ / _ \ |*| Shawn K. Quinn