Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162480-hex-color-codes-hex-6-hex-3-a.html)

lucanos@gmail.com 08-17-2005 01:23 AM

Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
Hi All,

Probably a simple question, but rest assured I have looked around for
answers before trying to use this forum as my last resort.
(No-one likes the RTFM directive...)

I'm trying to translate the HTML Color Codes between the Hex 6 & Hex 3
standards.
Does anyone know of any online translators to do this?
Or should I simply use basic rounding to change Hex6 to Hex3 (ie
#A1B7C9 becomes #ABD).

I'm just trying to tweak a CSS'd set of pages, and the previous
developer had a penchant for the shorter color codes.

Thanks
Luke


Mark Parnell 08-17-2005 01:46 AM

Re: Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
Previously in alt.html, <lucanos@gmail.com> said:

> Or should I simply use basic rounding to change Hex6 to Hex3 (ie
> #A1B7C9 becomes #ABD).


Any 3-digit value can be expressed as a 6-digit value, e.g. #ABD is
equivalent to #AABBDD.

Most 6-digit values cannot be expressed in 3-digits though. For #A1B7C9,
#ABD is probably the closest, but the 2 colours are significantly
different. http://clarkecomputers.com.au/usenet/hex.html

> I'm just trying to tweak a CSS'd set of pages, and the previous
> developer had a penchant for the shorter color codes.


As above, converting from 3 to 6 is easy - just duplicate each of the 3
digits.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/

lucanos@gmail.com 08-17-2005 02:12 AM

Re: Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
Thanks Mark,

I thought that was the case, but always better to have my assumptions
approved by those who know best.

Thanks again,
Luke


dorayme 08-17-2005 03:13 AM

Re: Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
> From: lucanos@gmail.com

> Probably a simple question, but rest assured I have looked around for
> answers before trying to use this forum as my last resort.
> (No-one likes the RTFM directive...)
>
> I'm trying to translate the HTML Color Codes between the Hex 6 & Hex 3
> standards.
> Does anyone know of any online translators to do this?
> Or should I simply use basic rounding to change Hex6 to Hex3 (ie
> #A1B7C9 becomes #ABD).
>
> I'm just trying to tweak a CSS'd set of pages, and the previous
> developer had a penchant for the shorter color codes.
>



Don't use 3 for the mere sake of shorter colour css specification.
#XXYYZZ is the format of a class of so many colours. This format has a
shorthand of #XYZ. Within this class, the implication goes the other
way too. So one can expand #XYZ to #XXYYZZ.

If you want a larger class of colours, stick to 6. There is nothing
then to gain from 3ing colours that happen to be like #XXYYZZ and lots
to lose, namely a changing of actual colour when 3ing a colour like
#UVWXYZ by some rather arbitrary "rounding". There is unlikely to be a
logical way of doing this to preserve the approx colour without
reference to the colour itself and matching a "close enough" colour
between two sets of colour (in which one is a subset of the other).

dorayme


mbstevens 08-17-2005 03:52 AM

Re: Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
dorayme wrote:
>>From: lucanos@gmail.com

>
>
>>Probably a simple question, but rest assured I have looked around for
>>answers before trying to use this forum as my last resort.
>>(No-one likes the RTFM directive...)
>>
>>I'm trying to translate the HTML Color Codes between the Hex 6 & Hex 3
>>standards.
>>Does anyone know of any online translators to do this?
>>Or should I simply use basic rounding to change Hex6 to Hex3 (ie
>>#A1B7C9 becomes #ABD).
>>
>>I'm just trying to tweak a CSS'd set of pages, and the previous
>>developer had a penchant for the shorter color codes.
>>

>
>
>
> Don't use 3 for the mere sake of shorter colour css specification.
> #XXYYZZ is the format of a class of so many colours. This format has a
> shorthand of #XYZ. Within this class, the implication goes the other
> way too. So one can expand #XYZ to #XXYYZZ.
>
> If you want a larger class of colours, stick to 6. There is nothing
> then to gain from 3ing colours that happen to be like #XXYYZZ and lots
> to lose, namely a changing of actual colour when 3ing a colour like
> #UVWXYZ by some rather arbitrary "rounding". There is unlikely to be a
> logical way of doing this to preserve the approx colour without
> reference to the colour itself and matching a "close enough" colour
> between two sets of colour (in which one is a subset of the other).


This would _only_ matter in photo retouching, digital imaging,
and the like. Designing pages with backgrounds and foregrounds
from three hex integers provides more than enough colors. I
find it also makes it easier to tweak the colors -- to find
combinations I like without resorting to a color chart.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/cgi/mkatt.p...ique_Generator

dorayme 08-17-2005 11:04 PM

Re: Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
> From: mbstevens <NOXwebmasterx@xmbstevensx.com>
>
> dorayme wrote:
>>> From: lucanos@gmail.com

>>
>>> I'm trying to translate the HTML Color Codes between the Hex 6 & Hex 3
>>> standards.
>>> Does anyone know of any online translators to do this?
>>> Or should I simply use basic rounding to change Hex6 to Hex3 (ie
>>> #A1B7C9 becomes #ABD).
>>>

>>
>> Don't use 3 for the mere sake of shorter colour css specification.
>> #XXYYZZ is the format of a class of so many colours. This format has a
>> shorthand of #XYZ. Within this class, the implication goes the other
>> way too. So one can expand #XYZ to #XXYYZZ.
>>
>> If you want a larger class of colours, stick to 6. There is nothing
>> then to gain from 3ing colours that happen to be like #XXYYZZ and lots
>> to lose, namely a changing of actual colour when 3ing a colour like
>> #UVWXYZ by some rather arbitrary "rounding". There is unlikely to be a
>> logical way of doing this to preserve the approx colour without
>> reference to the colour itself and matching a "close enough" colour
>> between two sets of colour (in which one is a subset of the other).

>
> This would _only_ matter in photo retouching, digital imaging,
> and the like. Designing pages with backgrounds and foregrounds
> from three hex integers provides more than enough colors. I
> find it also makes it easier to tweak the colors -- to find
> combinations I like without resorting to a color chart.
> --



I, too, tend to only use the 3 hex lot. But this
may not suit everyone. I have fancied that I
can't *always* get what I want in 3 and so use 6
now and then. But this may be a simple conceit.
Every person needs some to have the pride to go
on.

dorayme



Kevin Scholl 08-18-2005 01:02 AM

Re: Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
lucanos@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Probably a simple question, but rest assured I have looked around for
> answers before trying to use this forum as my last resort.
> (No-one likes the RTFM directive...)
>
> I'm trying to translate the HTML Color Codes between the Hex 6 & Hex 3
> standards.
> Does anyone know of any online translators to do this?
> Or should I simply use basic rounding to change Hex6 to Hex3 (ie
> #A1B7C9 becomes #ABD).


Actually, #9BC would be closer.

> I'm just trying to tweak a CSS'd set of pages, and the previous
> developer had a penchant for the shorter color codes.


Unless there is a direct translation (e.g., #336699 = #369), I
personally wouldn't muck with the color codes. Those few extra bytes of
info aren't likely going to affect anything.

--

*** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

================================================== ====
Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
kscholl@comcast.DELETE.net
------------------------------------------------------
Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
------------------------------------------------------
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
the dreams...
================================================== ====

Neredbojias 08-18-2005 09:01 AM

Re: Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
With neither quill nor qualm, Kevin Scholl quothed:

> > Or should I simply use basic rounding to change Hex6 to Hex3 (ie
> > #A1B7C9 becomes #ABD).

>
> Actually, #9BC would be closer.


How do you figure that?

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.

Neredbojias 08-18-2005 09:03 AM

Re: Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

> >> If you want a larger class of colours, stick to 6. There is nothing
> >> then to gain from 3ing colours that happen to be like #XXYYZZ and lots
> >> to lose, namely a changing of actual colour when 3ing a colour like
> >> #UVWXYZ by some rather arbitrary "rounding". There is unlikely to be a
> >> logical way of doing this to preserve the approx colour without
> >> reference to the colour itself and matching a "close enough" colour
> >> between two sets of colour (in which one is a subset of the other).

> >
> > This would _only_ matter in photo retouching, digital imaging,
> > and the like. Designing pages with backgrounds and foregrounds
> > from three hex integers provides more than enough colors. I
> > find it also makes it easier to tweak the colors -- to find
> > combinations I like without resorting to a color chart.
> > --

>
>
> I, too, tend to only use the 3 hex lot. But this
> may not suit everyone. I have fancied that I
> can't *always* get what I want in 3 and so use 6
> now and then. But this may be a simple conceit.
> Every person needs some to have the pride to go
> on.


Every person needs some for simple contentment.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.

mbstevens 08-18-2005 09:46 AM

Re: Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3
 
Neredbojias wrote:
> With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
>
>
>>>>If you want a larger class of colours, stick to 6. There is nothing
>>>>then to gain from 3ing colours that happen to be like #XXYYZZ and lots
>>>>to lose, namely a changing of actual colour when 3ing a colour like
>>>>#UVWXYZ by some rather arbitrary "rounding". There is unlikely to be a
>>>>logical way of doing this to preserve the approx colour without
>>>>reference to the colour itself and matching a "close enough" colour
>>>>between two sets of colour (in which one is a subset of the other).
>>>
>>>This would _only_ matter in photo retouching, digital imaging,
>>>and the like. Designing pages with backgrounds and foregrounds
>>>from three hex integers provides more than enough colors. I
>>>find it also makes it easier to tweak the colors -- to find
>>>combinations I like without resorting to a color chart.
>>>--

>>
>>
>>I, too, tend to only use the 3 hex lot. But this
>>may not suit everyone. I have fancied that I
>>can't *always* get what I want in 3 and so use 6
>>now and then. But this may be a simple conceit.
>>Every person needs some to have the pride to go
>>on.

>
>
> Every person needs some for simple contentment.


Hoare's Law:
"Inside every large program is a small program
struggling to get out."
C.A.R. Hoare

(I think it applies to CSS markup, too.
Go baroque and you'll go broke.)
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/cgi/mkatt.p...ique_Generator
(New version 1.2 with macros.)




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.