Velocity Reviews

-   -   <div> withut linefeed? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162334-div-withut-linefeed.html)

Frogleg 07-31-2005 12:50 PM

How can I get a 'div' with no top margin? Or is there a better method
for doing this? Example of problem at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~absolutelyfake/test.htm

07-31-2005 01:02 PM

Re: <div> withut linefeed?

"Frogleg" <frogleg@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> How can I get a 'div' with no top margin? Or is there a better method
> for doing this? Example of problem at:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~absolutelyfake/test.htm

try
leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"

in the BODY tag

Els 07-31-2005 01:04 PM

Re: <div> withut linefeed?

Frogleg wrote:

> How can I get a 'div' with no top margin? Or is there a better method
> for doing this? Example of problem at:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~absolutelyfake/test.htm

That /is/ a div without a top margin ;-)
It's a page with a top padding though. Either on <html> or <body> -
fiddle to find the culprit :-)

Why are you mixing HTML and CSS for the look though? I'd change
'bgcolor' to background-color to go inside the style attribute, and
align:center on the div seems superfluous, as you already set a width
and a left and right margin in the style too.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Frogleg 07-31-2005 04:28 PM

Re: <div> withut linefeed?

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:02:35 GMT, <bunch92@yahoo.fr> wrote:

>"Frogleg" <frogleg@nowhere.com> wrote

>> How can I get a 'div' with no top margin? Or is there a better method
>> for doing this? Example of problem at:
>>
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~absolutelyfake/test.htm

>try
>leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"
>
>in the BODY tag

Thanks. Works like a charm.

Frogleg 07-31-2005 04:31 PM

Re: <div> withut linefeed?

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:04:34 +0200, Els <els.aNOSPAM@tiscali.nl>
wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:
>
>> How can I get a 'div' with no top margin? Or is there a better method
>> for doing this? Example of problem at:
>>
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~absolutelyfake/test.htm

>Why are you mixing HTML and CSS for the look though?

Hiya, Els, and thanks. Why HTML? Because this is quick&dirty
experimentation, and it's easier to tyoe and edit with HTML with
"style" sub-directives. As I get it worked out, I'll use real CSS.

Jedi Fans 07-31-2005 04:33 PM

Re: <div> withut linefeed?

bunch92@yahoo.fr wrote:
> try
> leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"
>
> in the BODY tag

this could be achieved far easier in css without relying on depreciated
tags...
body{margin:0;}

Els 07-31-2005 04:35 PM

Re: <div> withut linefeed?

Frogleg wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:04:34 +0200, Els <els.aNOSPAM@tiscali.nl>
> wrote:
>
>>Frogleg wrote:
>>
>>> How can I get a 'div' with no top margin? Or is there a better method
>>> for doing this? Example of problem at:
>>>
>>> http://home.earthlink.net/~absolutelyfake/test.htm

>>Why are you mixing HTML and CSS for the look though?

> Hiya, Els, and thanks. Why HTML? Because this is quick&dirty
> experimentation, and it's easier to tyoe and edit with HTML with
> "style" sub-directives. As I get it worked out, I'll use real CSS.

I didn't mean the style attributes, I meant things like align="center"
and bgcolor="#d4d4d4". I can see the benefit of inline styles when
experimenting, but I mean: if you already have
style="font-size: 4em; font-family: helvetica, sans-serif;"
why not change it into
style="background-color: #d4d4d4; font-size: 4em; font-family:
helvetica, sans-serif;"
instead of adding bgcolor="#d4d4d4d" ?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Toby Inkster 07-31-2005 05:25 PM

Re: <div> withut linefeed?

Jedi Fans wrote:

> this could be achieved far easier in css without relying on depreciated
> tags...
> body{margin:0;}

Better:
body{margin:0;padding:0;}