Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dreamweaver Progress... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162314-dreamweaver-progress.html)

Montgomery BOO...URNS 07-28-2005 04:03 AM

Dreamweaver Progress...

Okay folks, so far, so good...

I have an ongoing process of building my own website using Dreamweaver and
so far I like the results. After getting further criticism from the likes
of this forum and other newsgroups, I have been able to build a "not so
heavy"/"no frills" website.

http://users.rcn.com/solitude439

Take a look and let me know what you guys think and maybe give me some
suggestions as to what and where I can go with the over all design for this
site. Dreamweaver expert criticism is always welcome.

Thanks again.

--
==_DC_==

Adrienne 07-28-2005 06:45 AM

Re: Dreamweaver Progress...

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Montgomery BOO...URNS"
<solitude439@rcn.com> writing in news:LMqdnWTUQddnxXXfRVn-ow@rcn.net:

> Okay folks, so far, so good...
>
> I have an ongoing process of building my own website using Dreamweaver
> and so far I like the results. After getting further criticism from
> the likes of this forum and other newsgroups, I have been able to build
> a "not so heavy"/"no frills" website.
>
> http://users.rcn.com/solitude439
>
> Take a look and let me know what you guys think and maybe give me some
> suggestions as to what and where I can go with the over all design for
> this site. Dreamweaver expert criticism is always welcome.
>
> Thanks again.

1. No DOCType - always use a DocType at the very top of your document,
Strict is recommended.
2. Always include alt attribute for images, especially images that are used
for navigation.
3. Depreciated markup, eg. <center>
4. Javascript to resize _my_ window - I don't _think_ so, brother. Not to
mention, in this case it's useless and just takes up bandwidth.
5. Tables for no reason

If you want to do web design, then I suggest you learn HTML and CSS first.
Put Dreamweaver away until you have done so, and then you will be able to
use it properly.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to be harsh. But,
considering the business you are in, you will probably have customers who
are savvy enough to look at your markup and run away. Switching all
presentation to CSS is easier to maintain as well, as only one document has
to be edited to affect an entire site.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Montgomery BOO...URNS 07-29-2005 03:57 AM

Re: Dreamweaver Progress...

"Adrienne" <arbpen2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Xns96A0F1C42AF78arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158 ...
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Montgomery BOO...URNS"
> <solitude439@rcn.com> writing in news:LMqdnWTUQddnxXXfRVn-ow@rcn.net:
>
>> Okay folks, so far, so good...
>>
>> I have an ongoing process of building my own website using Dreamweaver
>> and so far I like the results. After getting further criticism from
>> the likes of this forum and other newsgroups, I have been able to build
>> a "not so heavy"/"no frills" website.
>>
>> http://users.rcn.com/solitude439
>>
>> Take a look and let me know what you guys think and maybe give me some
>> suggestions as to what and where I can go with the over all design for
>> this site. Dreamweaver expert criticism is always welcome.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>

> 1. No DOCType - always use a DocType at the very top of your document,
> Strict is recommended.
> 2. Always include alt attribute for images, especially images that are
> used
> for navigation.
> 3. Depreciated markup, eg. <center>
> 4. Javascript to resize _my_ window - I don't _think_ so, brother. Not to
> mention, in this case it's useless and just takes up bandwidth.
> 5. Tables for no reason
>
> If you want to do web design, then I suggest you learn HTML and CSS first.
> Put Dreamweaver away until you have done so, and then you will be able to
> use it properly.
>
> Please don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to be harsh. But,
> considering the business you are in, you will probably have customers who
> are savvy enough to look at your markup and run away. Switching all
> presentation to CSS is easier to maintain as well, as only one document
> has
> to be edited to affect an entire site.
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell
> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

By the way, I like your web site. Very informative and it's directed
towards the whole business of site building.

--
==_DC_==