Velocity Reviews

-   -   setting the width of a table (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162283-setting-the-width-of-a-table.html)

ppcguy 07-23-2005 03:00 PM

setting the width of a table

is there a way i can set the width of a table to
the min of a pre-defined pixel width or the page width.

i.e. i'd like to set the width to lesser of 800 or the width.

i'm trying to display some text - that i'd like to display
right justified on the page and like it to be visible. the
page itself could be wide - i.e. scrollbars.

i'd like to avoid using frames.

Robert Frost-Bridges 07-23-2005 09:45 PM

Re: setting the width of a table

ppcguy wrote:

> is there a way i can set the width of a table to
> the min of a pre-defined pixel width or the page width.

[...]

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visude...pdef-min-width

--
Robert
http://brightonfixedodds.net

Neredbojias 07-24-2005 10:22 AM

Re: setting the width of a table

With neither quill nor qualm, Robert Frost-Bridges quothed:

> ppcguy wrote:
>
> > is there a way i can set the width of a table to
> > the min of a pre-defined pixel width or the page width.

> [...]
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visude...pdef-min-width

Ahem. No, he needs to use max-width. <smug grin>

table {
width:100%;
max-width:800px;
}

Of course this won't work in the redoubtable IE so a js routine will be
required for that.

--
Neredbojias

Robert Frost-Bridges 07-24-2005 02:29 PM

Neredbojias wrote:

> Ahem. No, he needs to use max-width. <smug grin>
>
> table {
> width:100%;
> max-width:800px;
> }
>
> Of course this won't work in the redoubtable IE so a js routine will be
> required for that.

Ah of course. I read it t'other way round. Good job someone's awake.

regards,