Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problems with MSIE caching CSS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162272-problems-with-msie-caching-css.html)

JDS 07-22-2005 04:27 PM

Problems with MSIE caching CSS

I have a strange problem in that MSIE seems to not load my stylesheet
until you click the "reload" button or press F5 (or hit CTRL-R).

Example page:

http://engineering.jhu.edu/~nuggets/

It works fine in Gecko-based browsers.

Does anyone else using MSIE 6 see my problem? Or is it just me? When you
go to the page the first time it might work... Try clicking any link on
the page and you will see what happens (i hope).

What happpens to me is that MSIE just "forgets" the CSS or doesn't load
the stylesheet or *something* until you then reload the page.

Thanks!
--
JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid

Jedi Fans 07-22-2005 04:56 PM

Re: Problems with MSIE caching CSS

JDS wrote:
> I have a strange problem in that MSIE seems to not load my stylesheet
> until you click the "reload" button or press F5 (or hit CTRL-R).
>
> Example page:
>
> http://engineering.jhu.edu/~nuggets/
>
> It works fine in Gecko-based browsers.
>
> Does anyone else using MSIE 6 see my problem? Or is it just me? When you
> go to the page the first time it might work... Try clicking any link on
> the page and you will see what happens (i hope).
>
> What happpens to me is that MSIE just "forgets" the CSS or doesn't load
> the stylesheet or *something* until you then reload the page.
>
> Thanks!

the title should always be the first entry in the head section

JDS 07-22-2005 05:11 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:56:33 +0100, Jedi Fans wrote:

> the title should always be the first entry in the head section

Thanks, I tried it, but nope. That didn't seem to fix it.

I doubt that <title> has to be the first thing anyways, unless that is a
known MSIE bug. There is no requirement to put <title> first in the HTML
specifications that I know of.

Jedi Fans 07-22-2005 05:34 PM

had heard it somewhere, see http://www.searchengines.com/HTMLtitle.html

JDS 07-22-2005 06:04 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:34:36 +0100, Jedi Fans wrote:

> had heard it somewhere, see http://www.searchengines.com/HTMLtitle.html

Ah, i see. But that link is only applying this rule to SEO, and not to the
caching problem I am having.

Thanks anyways.

Leonard Blaisdell 07-23-2005 01:51 AM

Re: Problems with MSIE caching CSS

In article <pan.2005.07.22.18.04.21.365881@example.invalid> ,
JDS <jeffrey@example.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:34:36 +0100, Jedi Fans wrote:
>
> > had heard it somewhere, see http://www.searchengines.com/HTMLtitle.html

> Ah, i see. But that link is only applying this rule to SEO, and not to the
> caching problem I am having.

Or someone's interpretation of SEO :-)

> Thanks anyways.

I had a problem with MSIE on a site I built in the last couple of years
that was never even replied to in alt.html or ciwas. I diddled it till I
had no complaints from my customer but probably lost functionality. It
was an MSIE failure to read my stylesheet on a back-button and regarded
an unordered-list with CSS blinkenlights used as a menu. It's probably
not related, but I smelled being there before.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/

Neredbojias 07-23-2005 01:10 PM

Re: Problems with MSIE caching CSS

With neither quill nor qualm, JDS quothed:

> I have a strange problem in that MSIE seems to not load my stylesheet
> until you click the "reload" button or press F5 (or hit CTRL-R).
>
> Example page:
>
> http://engineering.jhu.edu/~nuggets/
>
> It works fine in Gecko-based browsers.
>
> Does anyone else using MSIE 6 see my problem? Or is it just me? When you
> go to the page the first time it might work... Try clicking any link on
> the page and you will see what happens (i hope).
>
> What happpens to me is that MSIE just "forgets" the CSS or doesn't load
> the stylesheet or *something* until you then reload the page.

The only thing I see: why do you put a slash in front of the pathname?

If you have to go up a directory, it's: '../'. Otherwise, a child
folder is addressed directly without the slash. Sometimes the slash can
mean 'ET go home' which on a server may be beyond your actual website
directory.

Also, I personally don't capitalize my "rel's" and "type's", etc.

--
Neredbojias

Jedi Fans 07-24-2005 09:23 AM

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article <pan.2005.07.22.18.04.21.365881@example.invalid> ,
> JDS <jeffrey@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:34:36 +0100, Jedi Fans wrote:
>>
>>> had heard it somewhere, see http://www.searchengines.com/HTMLtitle.html

>> Ah, i see. But that link is only applying this rule to SEO, and not to the
>> caching problem I am having.

> Or someone's interpretation of SEO :-)
>
>> Thanks anyways.

> I had a problem with MSIE on a site I built in the last couple of years
> that was never even replied to in alt.html or ciwas. I diddled it till I
> had no complaints from my customer but probably lost functionality. It
> was an MSIE failure to read my stylesheet on a back-button and regarded
> an unordered-list with CSS blinkenlights used as a menu. It's probably
> not related, but I smelled being there before.
>
> leo

try giving your stylesheet a title? for example:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="/~nuggets/include/css/website.css" title="Default" />

Leonard Blaisdell 07-24-2005 08:16 PM

Re: Problems with MSIE caching CSS

In article <42e35e05$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,
Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot==-]com"> wrote:

> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> > I had a problem with MSIE on a site I built in the last couple of years
> > that was never even replied to in alt.html or ciwas. I diddled it till I
> > had no complaints from my customer but probably lost functionality. It
> > was an MSIE failure to read my stylesheet on a back-button and regarded
> > an unordered-list with CSS blinkenlights used as a menu. It's probably
> > not related, but I smelled being there before.

> try giving your stylesheet a title? for example:
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
> href="/~nuggets/include/css/website.css" title="Default" />

I'll save your suggestion for future reference in case the problem
occurs again.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/

Jedi Fans 07-25-2005 01:07 AM

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article <42e35e05$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,
> Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot==-]com"> wrote:
>
>> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

>>> I had a problem with MSIE on a site I built in the last couple of years
>>> that was never even replied to in alt.html or ciwas. I diddled it till I
>>> had no complaints from my customer but probably lost functionality. It
>>> was an MSIE failure to read my stylesheet on a back-button and regarded
>>> an unordered-list with CSS blinkenlights used as a menu. It's probably
>>> not related, but I smelled being there before.

>> try giving your stylesheet a title? for example:
>> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
>> href="/~nuggets/include/css/website.css" title="Default" />

> I'll save your suggestion for future reference in case the problem
> occurs again.
>
> leo

did it get fixed then? [regardless i do seem to be missing a lot of
posts :|]