Velocity Reviews

-   -   Link colors (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162261-link-colors.html)

Brian 07-21-2005 02:00 AM

Link colors

Hello:
I'm having trouble doing this and I was hoping someone could help me. I
created a site in dreamweaver and made a template out of it. I set the
default colors for the links in the the page settings. I need to have the
colors of the links change in different sections of the site. Can this be
done.
Thanks
Brian

Animesh Kumar 07-21-2005 02:06 AM

Re: Link colors

Brian wrote:

> Hello:
> I'm having trouble doing this and I was hoping someone could help me. I
> created a site in dreamweaver and made a template out of it. I set the
> default colors for the links in the the page settings. I need to have the
> colors of the links change in different sections of the site. Can this be
> done.
> Thanks
> Brian

Different sections = different pages? If yes, then it can be done. You
may want to define them in style-sheet for brevity and continuous
revisions. For instance:

a:link {
text-decoration: none;
color: grey;
}

removes the underline below a link and makes them of grey color. Google
for "CSS link style" without quotes.

Best

Roy Schestowitz 07-21-2005 02:14 AM

Re: Link colors

Animesh Kumar wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>> I'm having trouble doing this and I was hoping someone could help me. I
>> created a site in dreamweaver and made a template out of it. I set the
>> default colors for the links in the the page settings. I need to have the
>> colors of the links change in different sections of the site. Can this be
>> done.
>> Thanks
>> Brian
>>

> Different sections = different pages? If yes, then it can be done. You
> may want to define them in style-sheet for brevity and continuous
> revisions. For instance:
>
> a:link {
> text-decoration: none;
> color: grey;
> }
>
> removes the underline below a link and makes them of grey color. Google
> for "CSS link style" without quotes.
>
> Best

If different sections, where the word "section" could refer to many things
at different levels, are _regions_ of the page, e.g. menu and footers, then
use a deeper stylesheet hierarchy. I am pretty convinced you could define

..menu:a:link {
text-decoration: none;
color: grey;
}

I am fairly sure I got the syntax wrong, but I hope it convery the idea. I
also hope it's indeed supported.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

dorayme 07-21-2005 03:27 AM

Re: Link colors

> From: Animesh Kumar <animesh1978@gmail.com>
>
> Different sections = different pages? If yes, then it can be done. You
> may want to define them in style-sheet for brevity and continuous
> revisions. For instance:
>
> a:link {
> text-decoration: none;
> color: grey;
> }
>
> removes the underline below a link and makes them of grey color. Google
> for "CSS link style" without quotes.

Can also be done for same web page.

dorayme

Spartanicus 07-21-2005 07:40 AM

Re: Link colors

"Brian" <brian@NOSPAMwallytech.net> wrote:

>I need to have the
>colors of the links change in different sections of the site. Can this be
>done.

It's a very effective method to confuse your visitors to no end, don't.

--
Spartanicus

Adrienne 07-21-2005 08:55 AM

Re: Link colors

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Spartanicus
<invalid@invalid.invalid> writing in
news:fakud150t0llk0ubntqvilp0mq3sn12b83@news.spart anicus.utvinternet.ie:

> "Brian" <brian@NOSPAMwallytech.net> wrote:
>
>>I need to have the
>>colors of the links change in different sections of the site. Can this
>>be done.

> It's a very effective method to confuse your visitors to no end, don't.

Not necessarily. If you have a menu with links of one color, you might
want the content links to be another color. If the menu background color
is blue, and the content background color is white, you would not want
the menu color to be blue, but you would probably want the content color
to be blue.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Spartanicus 07-21-2005 09:52 AM

Re: Link colors

Adrienne <arbpen2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>>I need to have the
>>>colors of the links change in different sections of the site. Can this
>>>be done.

>> It's a very effective method to confuse your visitors to no end, don't.

>Not necessarily. If you have a menu with links of one color, you might
>want the content links to be another color.

As I read it the OP wants to define different links colours for
different pages of the same site.

--
Spartanicus

Adrienne 07-21-2005 03:59 PM

Re: Link colors

news:q3sud1p3bf9soeve90j76t90em2k0f1706@news.spart anicus.utvinternet.ie:

>>> It's a very effective method to confuse your visitors to no end,
>>> don't.

>>Not necessarily. If you have a menu with links of one color, you might
>>want the content links to be another color.

> As I read it the OP wants to define different links colours for
> different pages of the same site.

Now that it's morning here... you're right, although you might have
different sections of a site different colors, depending on their
purpose, maybe something to do with seasons, where spring has pastel
colors, and fall has fall colors.

I'm doing something a little similar server side, if the current date is a
holiday, a appropriate stylesheet is loaded. I have a main stylesheet
which defines positioning and another only for colors, so Dec 25 gets
xmas.css and Feb 14 gets valentines.css.

Spartanicus 07-21-2005 04:33 PM

Re: Link colors

Adrienne <arbpen2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> As I read it the OP wants to define different links colours for
>> different pages of the same site.

>Now that it's morning here... you're right, although you might have
>different sections of a site different colors, depending on their
>purpose, maybe something to do with seasons, where spring has pastel
>colors, and fall has fall colors.

A basic usability principle is that a site should have a consistent look
including the colour scheme. Using different link colours and/or text
decoration is particularly risky because it will prevent people from
recognizing the links as links.

--
Spartanicus

Brian 07-21-2005 07:16 PM

Re: Link colors

Thats what I would like to do. How can I make the menu colors one color and
the text links another
news:Xns969A13A24DF28arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158 ...