Velocity Reviews

-   -   auto-stretching in IE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162256-auto-stretching-in-ie.html)

Evert | Collab 07-20-2005 02:52 AM

auto-stretching in IE

Hi All,

I have a <div> in my XHTML1.1 file, with the style rules:

position: abolute;
top: 0px;
left: 10px;
right: 8px;
bottom: 24px;
margin-top: 100px;

As espected this works in Firefox, but it's giving me problems in IE 6.
Any idea's how to overcome this in a way that is according to standards?

regards,
Evert

Mark Parnell 07-20-2005 02:56 AM

Re: auto-stretching in IE

Previously in alt.html, Evert | Collab <evertN0SP4N@collab.nl> said:

> position: abolute;

Sp. "absolute".

<snip>

> Any idea's how to overcome this in a way that is according to standards?

Some sort of idea of what you are actually trying to do would be
helpful. A URL speaks a thousand words...

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

saz 07-20-2005 03:50 AM

Re: auto-stretching in IE

In article <P%iDe.3781$p5.1821@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca >,
evertN0SP4N@collab.nl says...
> Hi All,
>
> I have a <div> in my XHTML1.1 file, with the style rules:
>
> position: abolute;
> top: 0px;
> left: 10px;
> right: 8px;
> bottom: 24px;
> margin-top: 100px;
>
> As espected this works in Firefox, but it's giving me problems in IE 6.
> Any idea's how to overcome this in a way that is according to standards?
>
> regards,
> Evert

Giving a URL would help, as the problem could be elsewhere. More
importantly, EXACTLY what are you trying to achieve.

BTW, you misspelled "absolute", which could be a major part of your
problem.

Evert | Collab 07-20-2005 05:28 AM

Re: auto-stretching in IE

saz wrote:
> In article <P%iDe.3781$p5.1821@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca >,
> evertN0SP4N@collab.nl says...
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I have a <div> in my XHTML1.1 file, with the style rules:
>>
>>position: abolute;
>>top: 0px;
>>left: 10px;
>>right: 8px;
>>bottom: 24px;
>>margin-top: 100px;
>>
>>As espected this works in Firefox, but it's giving me problems in IE 6.
>>Any idea's how to overcome this in a way that is according to standards?
>>
>>regards,
>>Evert
>>

> Giving a URL would help, as the problem could be elsewhere. More
> importantly, EXACTLY what are you trying to achieve.
>
> BTW, you misspelled "absolute", which could be a major part of your
> problem.

Yes you're right, I have spelled it correctly in my source though.. I'll
include an example in the bottom of the post.
If you want to see what I try to achief, open it in firefox; if you want
to see what goes wrong, open it in IE

Thanks for your time!

Evert

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
<head>
<title>Test file</title>
.container {
position: absolute;
top: 0px;
left: 10px;
right: 8px;
bottom: 24px;
margin-top: 100px;
border: 1px solid #000;
}
</head>

dorayme 07-20-2005 05:41 AM

Re: auto-stretching in IE

> From: Evert | Collab <evertN0SP4N@collab.nl>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have a <div> in my XHTML1.1 file, with the style rules:
>
> position: abolute;
> top: 0px;
> left: 10px;
> right: 8px;
> bottom: 24px;
> margin-top: 100px;
>
> As espected this works in Firefox, but it's giving me problems in IE 6.
> Any idea's how to overcome this in a way that is according to standards?

An "s" in abolute perhaps?

dorayme

(Sorry, I couldn't resist... don't kill me.)

Spartanicus 07-20-2005 06:43 AM

Re: auto-stretching in IE

Evert | Collab <evertN0SP4N@collab.nl> wrote:

>I have a <div> in my XHTML1.1 file

The exemption that XHTML that follows Appendix C guidelines may be
served as text/html only applies to XHTML 1.0.

--
Spartanicus

Evert | Collab 07-20-2005 09:55 AM

Re: auto-stretching in IE

Spartanicus wrote:
> Evert | Collab <evertN0SP4N@collab.nl> wrote:
>

>>I have a <div> in my XHTML1.1 file

> The exemption that XHTML that follows Appendix C guidelines may be
> served as text/html only applies to XHTML 1.0.

I am aware of that, but this isn't really related to my problem.

Evert

Spartanicus 07-20-2005 10:17 AM

Re: auto-stretching in IE

Evert | Collab <evertN0SP4N@collab.nl> wrote:

>>>I have a <div> in my XHTML1.1 file

>> The exemption that XHTML that follows Appendix C guidelines may be
>> served as text/html only applies to XHTML 1.0.

>I am aware of that

Then why are you violating the guidelines?

--
Spartanicus

Evert | Collab 07-20-2005 11:16 AM

Re: auto-stretching in IE

Spartanicus wrote:

>>>The exemption that XHTML that follows Appendix C guidelines may be
>>>served as text/html only applies to XHTML 1.0.

>>I am aware of that

> Then why are you violating the guidelines?

Who told you I was?

To specify this, I have use the following line of php code:

header('Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8');

the http-equiv meta tag is a replacement for a normal http header. It's
better to use the header, but if you can't for some reason you should
use the http-equiv.

thanks,
Evert

Spartanicus 07-20-2005 12:36 PM

Re: auto-stretching in IE

>>>I am aware of that

>> Then why are you violating the guidelines?

>Who told you I was?

You did by saying that you have an issue in IE, that means you are
serving it as text/html, or it wouldn't work at all in IE.

>To specify this, I have use the following line of php code:
>
>header('Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8');
>
>the http-equiv meta tag is a replacement for a normal http header.

It's not. The http content-type header is the only thing that matters.

>It's
>better to use the header, but if you can't for some reason you should
>use the http-equiv.

You *are* using the http header, and it says text/html. If you are not
able to change it, adding a meta declaration does not change the fact
that you are violating the guidelines.

--
Spartanicus