Velocity Reviews

-   -   Just bought a new editor (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t162241-just-bought-a-new-editor.html)

Travis Newbury 07-18-2005 08:29 PM

Just bought a new editor

I have been a TopStyle fan for several years now. But since I was doing
a couple of personal projects in PHP I thought I would google "php
editor" and see what was out there.

I ran across WebBuilder (http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/) I
download it, played with it for a day, and bought it ($39) It is now
(after a day) my new editor for everything.

It has everything I need in an editor. Type ahead help for HTML, CSS,
Javascript, PHP, ASP, and Perl (actually don't need the pearl stuff).
It has tidy and w3c validation and lets me set FF as my default viewer.

Is it perfect? Nope not by a long shot. But it is the best I have
found so far and well worth the $39 investment.

Ok, that's all. Just wanted to give some kudos to a nice program. Go
back to the other important stuff...

--
-=tn=-

Hywel Jenkins 07-18-2005 09:37 PM

Re: Just bought a new editor

In article <6jUCe.6929$LC6.685@fe06.lga>, TravisNewbury@hotmail.com
says...
> I have been a TopStyle fan for several years now. But since I was doing
> a couple of personal projects in PHP I thought I would google "php
> editor" and see what was out there.
>
> I ran across WebBuilder (http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/) I
> download it, played with it for a day, and bought it ($39) It is now
> (after a day) my new editor for everything.
>
> It has everything I need in an editor. Type ahead help for HTML, CSS,
> Javascript, PHP, ASP, and Perl (actually don't need the pearl stuff).
> It has tidy and w3c validation and lets me set FF as my default viewer.
>
> Is it perfect? Nope not by a long shot. But it is the best I have
> found so far and well worth the $39 investment.
>
> Ok, that's all. Just wanted to give some kudos to a nice program. Go
> back to the other important stuff...

Looks not too dissimilar to HTML-Kit, which is $39 cheaper.

--
Hywel

Kill the Crazy Frog
http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/

Travis Newbury 07-18-2005 10:04 PM

Re: Just bought a new editor

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>>I have been a TopStyle fan for several years now. But since I was doing
>>a couple of personal projects in PHP I thought I would google "php
>>editor" and see what was out there.
>>I ran across WebBuilder (http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/) I
>>download it, played with it for a day, and bought it ($39) It is now
>>(after a day) my new editor for everything.

> Looks not too dissimilar to HTML-Kit, which is $39 cheaper.

Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit. And HTMLKit would be a good
alternative if you don't have the $39. But after playing with both I
still prefer WeBuilder. But then Editors, like toilet paper, are always
a matter of personal preference.

--
-=tn=-

Adrienne 07-18-2005 10:35 PM

Re: Just bought a new editor

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
<TravisNewbury@hotmail.com> writing in

> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>>>I have been a TopStyle fan for several years now. But since I was
>>>doing a couple of personal projects in PHP I thought I would google
>>>"php editor" and see what was out there.
>>>I ran across WebBuilder (http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/) I
>>>download it, played with it for a day, and bought it ($39) It is now
>>>(after a day) my new editor for everything.

>> Looks not too dissimilar to HTML-Kit, which is $39 cheaper.

> Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit. And HTMLKit would be a good
> alternative if you don't have the $39. But after playing with both I
> still prefer WeBuilder. But then Editors, like toilet paper, are
> always a matter of personal preference.

No sir, I don't like it. HTML-Kit is much more configurable and has more
plugins than you can shake a stick at. One thing I really like is red on
yellow for comments (I had to do that when my monitor was on the fritz),
and this program won't let you change syntax highlighting colors. I'm sure
there are other things I wouldn't like either, but, as you say, to each his
own.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Adrienne 07-18-2005 10:49 PM

Re: Just bought a new editor

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Adrienne
<arbpen2003@sbcglobal.net> writing in
news:Xns96979E87914CCarbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158 :

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
><TravisNewbury@hotmail.com> writing in

>> Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit. And HTMLKit would be a good
>> alternative if you don't have the $39. But after playing with both I
>> still prefer WeBuilder. But then Editors, like toilet paper, are
>> always a matter of personal preference.
>>

> No sir, I don't like it. HTML-Kit is much more configurable and has
> more plugins than you can shake a stick at. One thing I really like is
> red on yellow for comments (I had to do that when my monitor was on the
> fritz), and this program won't let you change syntax highlighting
> colors. I'm sure there are other things I wouldn't like either, but,
> as you say, to each his own.

Yup, I knew there would be something else. On removing it, it opened a
browser and went to its home page. That's almost as bad as a exit pop-
under.

Travis Newbury 07-19-2005 01:07 PM

Re: Just bought a new editor

Adrienne wrote:
> Yup, I knew there would be something else. On removing it, it opened a
> browser and went to its home page. That's almost as bad as a exit pop-
> under.

No it didn't. It opened a browser and went to a form that asked you
for input as to why you did not want the software. There is a big
difference between that and a home page. But I do agree, there was
little need to do that.

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury 07-19-2005 01:18 PM

Re: Just bought a new editor

Adrienne wrote:
> > Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit....

> No sir, I don't like it [WeBuilder]....

I tried HTMLKit before going with TopStyle. It just did not "feel"
right (what ever that means). I looked at it several other times and
it still never did it for me.

> and this program won't let you change syntax highlighting colors.

You know I couldn't believe that when I read it. And I was right. It
was hidden under Preference->Text Editor->Colors, then you have a drop
down for HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP, and a few others.

> I'm sure
> there are other things I wouldn't like either, but, as you say, to each his
> own.

I am sure there are a ton of things a lot of people won't like. There
are some I don't. But It just felt good to me. I like to share things
that work for me.

--
-=tn=-

Adrienne 07-19-2005 08:40 PM

Re: Just bought a new editor

news:1121779106.246393.198680@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:

> Adrienne wrote:
>> > Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit....

>> No sir, I don't like it [WeBuilder]....

> I tried HTMLKit before going with TopStyle. It just did not "feel"
> right (what ever that means). I looked at it several other times and
> it still never did it for me.
>
>> and this program won't let you change syntax highlighting colors.

> You know I couldn't believe that when I read it. And I was right. It
> was hidden under Preference->Text Editor->Colors, then you have a drop
> down for HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP, and a few others.
>
>> I'm sure
>> there are other things I wouldn't like either, but, as you say, to
>> each his own.

> I am sure there are a ton of things a lot of people won't like. There
> are some I don't. But It just felt good to me. I like to share things
> that work for me.

One thing I don't like about HTML-Kit is it has no real project management.
AceHTML has a decent one, and HotMetal (long, long time ago) had a real
good one, and Webuilder did seem to have something. TopStyle has good
management for CSS.

Actually, I would be happy with a stand alone project management tool, any
recommendations?

Travis Newbury 07-19-2005 09:57 PM

Re: Just bought a new editor

Adrienne wrote:
> One thing I don't like about HTML-Kit is it has no real project management.
> AceHTML has a decent one, and HotMetal (long, long time ago) had a real
> good one, and Webuilder did seem to have something. TopStyle has good
> management for CSS.

I liked Topstyle's project management the best, but wished they had FTP
built in. WeBuilder is just "ok" for project management. Seeing a file
folder and list is not what I consider project management. I wished they
let you have filters for the file views.

> Actually, I would be happy with a stand alone project management tool, any
> recommendations?

Nope, never used one (a stand alone one)

--
-=tn=-