Velocity Reviews

-   -   CSS and line feed help.... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t161996-css-and-line-feed-help.html)

Domestos 06-09-2005 01:55 AM

CSS and line feed help....

I know quite a bit of HTML and CSS but have got stuck on one paticular
problem...

I need to use CSS to put text links across the screen i.e. HOME, PLAYERS,
REGISTER etc...

now if I am on the home page I want the background colour to change from
white to say red behind the HOME text.

I can get it to do this by sticking in <DIV> tags but that then makes
PLAYERS and REGISTER appear lower down the page rather than next to HOME

Is there anyway I can use CSS to create the text on one line i.e. not throw
a line feed?

Thanks
Andy Mak

Animesh Kumar 06-09-2005 02:09 AM

Re: CSS and line feed help....

Domestos wrote:

> I know quite a bit of HTML and CSS but have got stuck on one paticular
> problem...
>
> I need to use CSS to put text links across the screen i.e. HOME, PLAYERS,
> REGISTER etc...
>
> now if I am on the home page I want the background colour to change from
> white to say red behind the HOME text.
>
> I can get it to do this by sticking in <DIV> tags but that then makes
> PLAYERS and REGISTER appear lower down the page rather than next to HOME
>
> Is there anyway I can use CSS to create the text on one line i.e. not throw
> a line feed?
>
> Thanks
> Andy Mak

It seems you want "inline" list of hyperlinks. If that is the case, you
may want to look here:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/

Best

PS: They have links to other good articles as well. You don't have to
implement that stuff in gory detail unless you want something very
sophisticated in looks.

Stuart J. Shillinglaw 06-09-2005 03:40 AM

Re: CSS and line feed help....

"Domestos" <never.you@mind.net> put to writing:

> Is there anyway I can use CSS to create the text on one line i.e. not
> throw a line feed?

I remember reading a post one time about using a series of span tags and
using css to increase the space of each span, although I cannot remember
the details.

--
Stuart J. Shillinglaw
http://shillinglaw.atspace.com/

Jonathan N. Little 06-09-2005 04:04 AM

Re: CSS and line feed help....

Domestos wrote:
> I know quite a bit of HTML and CSS but have got stuck on one paticular
> problem...
>
> I need to use CSS to put text links across the screen i.e. HOME, PLAYERS,
> REGISTER etc...
>
> now if I am on the home page I want the background colour to change from
> white to say red behind the HOME text.
>
> I can get it to do this by sticking in <DIV> tags but that then makes
> PLAYERS and REGISTER appear lower down the page rather than next to HOME
>
> Is there anyway I can use CSS to create the text on one line i.e. not throw
> a line feed?
>
> Thanks
> Andy Mak

<DIV> are 'block' elements by default, e.g., they break the line at
their termination. The native inline tag is <SPAN>.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Mitja 06-09-2005 08:04 AM

Re: CSS and line feed help....

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 03:55:12 +0200, Domestos <never.you@mind.net> wrote:

> I need to use CSS to put text links across the screen i.e. HOME, PLAYERS,
> REGISTER etc...

Have a look at alistapart.com as Animesh suggested, especially the "taming
lists" and the beginning of "sliding doors of css" article.

Taking a more low-level, do-it-yourself approach, have a look at the
"float" css property.