Velocity Reviews

-   -   Quick PHP and/or MySQL question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t161966-quick-php-and-or-mysql-question.html)

Paul F. Johnson 06-05-2005 10:34 PM

Quick PHP and/or MySQL question

Hi,

I'm developing something for a friend and for some reason, my mind has
gone wibble and I've forgotten something.

Point your browsers at http://82.42.51.231/cta/pchardware/video.php and
you'll see it virtually instantly. Around the text in the first two
columns are quote marks.

I'm using PHP to access a MySQL database and I have a feeling the quotes
are part of the dataset imported. I either need to strip the quotes from
the SQL database *or* in the PHP. Question is, how do I do either of
them?

All my books on this are at work. It's been a hectic weekend and my mind
is giving up. Help would be appreciated :-)

TTFN

Paul
--
"Space", it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how
vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big space really is. I mean, you may

Adrienne 06-06-2005 05:58 PM

Re: Quick PHP and/or MySQL question

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Paul F. Johnson" <paul@all-the-
johnsons.co.uk> writing in news:1118010854.3910.13.camel@localhost:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing something for a friend and for some reason, my mind has
> gone wibble and I've forgotten something.
>
> Point your browsers at http://82.42.51.231/cta/pchardware/video.php and
> you'll see it virtually instantly. Around the text in the first two
> columns are quote marks.
>
> I'm using PHP to access a MySQL database and I have a feeling the quotes
> are part of the dataset imported. I either need to strip the quotes from
> the SQL database *or* in the PHP. Question is, how do I do either of
> them?
>
> All my books on this are at work. It's been a hectic weekend and my mind
> is giving up. Help would be appreciated :-)
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

Single quotes are used in SQL statements as delimiters and must be escaped.
I use a tilde mark, and have created functions to replace ' with ~ for
inserts/updates and replace ~ with ' when printing out the recordset.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Hywel Jenkins 06-06-2005 07:20 PM

Re: Quick PHP and/or MySQL question

In article <Xns966D6FB019EBAarbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158>, arbpen2003
@sbcglobal.net says...
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Paul F. Johnson" <paul@all-the-
> johnsons.co.uk> writing in news:1118010854.3910.13.camel@localhost:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm developing something for a friend and for some reason, my mind has
> > gone wibble and I've forgotten something.
> >
> > Point your browsers at http://82.42.51.231/cta/pchardware/video.php and
> > you'll see it virtually instantly. Around the text in the first two
> > columns are quote marks.
> >
> > I'm using PHP to access a MySQL database and I have a feeling the quotes
> > are part of the dataset imported. I either need to strip the quotes from
> > the SQL database *or* in the PHP. Question is, how do I do either of
> > them?
> >
> > All my books on this are at work. It's been a hectic weekend and my mind
> > is giving up. Help would be appreciated :-)
> >
> > TTFN
> >
> > Paul

> Single quotes are used in SQL statements as delimiters and must be escaped.
> I use a tilde mark, and have created functions to replace ' with ~ for
> inserts/updates and replace ~ with ' when printing out the recordset.

How about addslashes() and stripslashes() for PHP? With PHP, the server
admin. can enable MAGIC_QUOTES which takes care of this for you. It's
worth coding for the eventuality that the magic quotes setting will be
reversed by checking whether they're on or not. The PHP docs has info.
on this.

--
Hywel

Kill the Crazy Frog