Velocity Reviews

-   -   Idiots guide to divs? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t161828-idiots-guide-to-divs.html)

R2G2 05-20-2005 08:30 AM

Idiots guide to divs?

Is there any way to lock a div to, for instance, the top right hand
corner of a table cell, so that what ever text size the user is using,
the div is always 'attached' to that cell?

(I want an image in a div to appear when someone hovers over a
'hotspot' on an image in a table - half-way down the page at
www.barnabybear.net/p13.htm for an example) - sorry for the music -
the kids love it.

While I'm here, is there an idiots guide to divs - I'm slowly learning
html, but I'm still using dreamweaver's help to create divs, and I'm
sure that my overreliance on that is causing me problems.

TIA for any hints

--
Beccy

Bec but...

Travis Newbury 05-20-2005 10:18 AM

Re: Idiots guide to divs?

R2G2 wrote:
> While I'm here, is there an idiots guide to divs - I'm slowly

learning
> html, but I'm still using dreamweaver's help to create divs, and I'm
> sure that my overreliance on that is causing me problems.

Actually if you take advantage of dreamweaver's code editing screens it
will probalby help you learn HTML. You do not hav to use the WYSIWYG
part of Dreamweaver. It's Editor is (IMOHO) one of the best around.
Made by the ssame people that created topstyle.

--
-=tn=-

Toby Inkster 05-20-2005 12:32 PM

Re: Idiots guide to divs?

R2G2 wrote:

> While I'm here, is there an idiots guide to divs

DIV is exactly like LI, except with different default padding and margins
and without a bullet point by default.

HTH

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Leif K-Brooks 05-20-2005 03:00 PM

Re: Idiots guide to divs?

Toby Inkster wrote:
> DIV is exactly like LI, except with different default padding and margins
> and without a bullet point by default.

Also, DIV is allowed as a direct child of a different (non-intersecting)
set of elements from LI. And it has different semantics.

Spartanicus 05-20-2005 03:03 PM

Re: Idiots guide to divs?

Toby Inkster <usenet200504@tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:

>DIV is exactly like LI, except with different default padding and margins
>and without a bullet point by default.

Incorrect, the div element has no implied semantics, presentation or
structure [1], the li element is for marking up content that is part of
a list.

[1] Structure pertaining to the content (as opposed to structure
pertaining to the code).

--
Spartanicus

Toby Inkster 05-20-2005 03:10 PM

Re: Idiots guide to divs?

Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Toby Inkster wrote:
>> DIV is exactly like LI, except with different default padding and margins
>> and without a bullet point by default.

> Also, DIV is allowed as a direct child of a different (non-intersecting)
> set of elements from LI. And it has different semantics.

True. I was focussing on the content model *inside* the element --
completely forgot about the outside. D'oh!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS