Velocity Reviews

-   -   Will browser remember values entered in form when i press back button???????? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t161354-will-browser-remember-values-entered-in-form-when-i-press-back-button.html)

vishal 03-28-2005 02:54 PM

Will browser remember values entered in form when i press back button????????

hello

i have one query. suppose there is one page loaded in my browser which
has some textboxes and a submit button. when i press submit button
another page is loaded which displays a simple message. now suppose
user presses back button of browser then the values entered in
previous/first page text boxes will be there or not.

i am asking about browser compatibility. means on all old and new
browsers the previous page will have that values or not when i press
back button of browser??

thxs

Oli Filth 03-28-2005 06:18 PM

Re: Will browser remember values entered in form when i press backbutton????????

vishal wrote:
> hello
>
> i have one query. suppose there is one page loaded in my browser which
> has some textboxes and a submit button. when i press submit button
> another page is loaded which displays a simple message. now suppose
> user presses back button of browser then the values entered in
> previous/first page text boxes will be there or not.
>
> i am asking about browser compatibility. means on all old and new
> browsers the previous page will have that values or not when i press
> back button of browser??

If you send HTTP headers that ensure the page is not cached, then old
form values will not appear if the user presses back (AFAIK). For
instance, you can use session_cache_limiter("nocache") in PHP (see
http://www.php.net/session_cache_limiter).

--
Oli

Dan 03-28-2005 06:23 PM

vishal wrote:
> i have one query. suppose there is one page loaded in my browser

which
> has some textboxes and a submit button. when i press submit button
> another page is loaded which displays a simple message. now suppose
> user presses back button of browser then the values entered in
> previous/first page text boxes will be there or not.

This behavior is likely to be very browser-specific, and may also
differ based on user configuration settings and HTTP headers supplied
by the server in question. Usually, form values will be preserved, but
sometimes they'll be discarded due to attempts on the site operator's
part to suppress normal caching. It's usually pretty annoying when
this happens.

--
Dan