Velocity Reviews

-   -   Page within a picture frame (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t161175-page-within-a-picture-frame.html)

KiwiBrian 03-07-2005 06:14 PM

Page within a picture frame

Is it possible to create a page where the content has an ornamental border
simulating a picture frame complete with mitred corners?
And/or if I create a graphic of a picture frame where the centre is white,
can the page content be place over the white central area?
Any ideas, or urls of such pages would be appreciated.
My attempts so far have not been encouraging.
TIA
Brian Tozer

Richard 03-07-2005 06:37 PM

Re: Page within a picture frame

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:14:12 +1300 KiwiBrian wrote:

> Is it possible to create a page where the content has an ornamental border
> simulating a picture frame complete with mitred corners?
> And/or if I create a graphic of a picture frame where the centre is white,
> can the page content be place over the white central area?
> Any ideas, or urls of such pages would be appreciated.
> My attempts so far have not been encouraging.
> TIA
> Brian Tozer

Most likely with an IFRAME.
Set your "frame" in a division with fixed sizes then call up the iframe page
as desired.
Otherwise, you'd need a bit of javascriipt to show and hide other divisions
within the "frame".
Just remember that you will get scrollbars if your iframe page does not fit
the "frame" properly.

David Dorward 03-07-2005 07:33 PM

KiwiBrian wrote:

> Is it possible to create a page where the content has an ornamental border
> simulating a picture frame complete with mitred corners?

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=RoundedCorners

The same principles apply, although you will need extra containers to handle
the edges (since I expect you want those as well as graphical corners)

> And/or if I create a graphic of a picture frame where the centre is white,
> can the page content be place over the white central area?

Absolute positioning, height, width and overflow... but don't - fixed width
designs aren't a very good idea at the best of times, and once you start
adding thick borders you'll either have little space left for content, or
nasty horizontal scrolling for many users.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Andy Dingley 03-07-2005 11:15 PM

Re: Page within a picture frame

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
wrote:

>> Is it possible to create a page where the content has an ornamental border
>> simulating a picture frame complete with mitred corners?

>Most likely with an IFRAME.

Ignoring for a moment the fact that you're a moron, and your idea is
almost guaranteed to be rubbish anyway, then an <iframe> would allow
you to include one piece of content in another. For a feature that
might more easily be done by SSI, then it would be an ugly kludge to
set up, but it might even be said to "work".

However the poster was asking about decorating an area on a page.
This is broadly the same problem as the old chestnut of "rounded
corners", which David Dorward has just posted some help on.
Also see this example, posted last week (and read the code)
http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php

Now _how_ does Richard expect an <iframe> to be the slighest help with
this problem ?