Velocity Reviews

-   -   how to code html to click and download? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t161156-how-to-code-html-to-click-and-download.html)

Amy 03-05-2005 10:33 PM

how to code html to click and download?

Can you please tell me how to code html link, so that user can click and
download the entire folder?

Also, how to code html link, so that user can open this folder directory?

Thank you.

Richard 03-06-2005 12:29 AM

Re: how to code html to click and download?

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:33:13 -0800 Amy wrote:

> Can you please tell me how to code html link, so that user can click and
> download the entire folder?
>
> Also, how to code html link, so that user can open this folder directory?
>
> Thank you.

Pack the contents into a zip file.
Makes transferring of content quicker.

Dave Patton 03-06-2005 12:30 AM

Re: how to code html to click and download?

"Amy" <jgy2001-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:1110061380.9c2bd46862fbd0f2bb2196ffd2112f16@b ubbanews:

> Can you please tell me how to code html link, so that user can click and
> download the entire folder?

HTML is a markup language - it tells the browser how the
webpage is 'marked up'. It's not something you "code"
in the sense of a programming language.

If some HTML contains an anchor tag then most browsers
will, when a user 'clicks' on a link(presented due to
the presence of the anchor tag), send a request for the
anchor tag's href attribute URI to a webserver.

Once that's done, it's the job of the webserver to respond.
There are a variety of ways to, at that point, "download
the entire folder", but they all require configuration
and/or programming on the webserver.

For example, you might be using Apache and PHP, and have
the URI be http://www.example.com/download_dir/ and have
an index.php script in /download_dir which puts all the
files except itself that exist in /download_dir into
a ZIP file and then sends that to the browser, which will,
depending on the user's preferences, either open the
ZIP file or save it to their harddisk.

> Also, how to code html link, so that user can open this folder directory?

For example, you might be using Apache, and have
the URI be http://www.example.com/download_dir/
and not have any index document in /download_dir
(e.g. no index.php, index.html, etc.), and have
Apache configured to present a directory listing.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_autoindex.html

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/

Amy 03-06-2005 06:11 PM

Re: how to code html to click and download?

OK.

I set up this link:
it did not download the zip files?
How do I set up the html code at the link?

Amy 03-06-2005 06:14 PM

Re: how to code html to click and download?

You mean something like this?

My folder has no index file of any kind.
Just a bunch zip and pdf files.

news:Xns9610A7EB8A84Cmrzaphoddirectcaold@24.71.223 .159...

Amy 03-06-2005 08:27 PM

Re: how to code html to click and download?

Actually, it would be nice and simple, if I can just let users to open my
folder and download selected items inside the folder. How do I do that?

news:1110132259.163ef1b8c5590cb322ca27baac0c17a7@b ubbanews...