Velocity Reviews

-   -   Perfectly valid website crashing IE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t161121-perfectly-valid-website-crashing-ie.html)

Nik Coughin 03-02-2005 06:38 AM

Perfectly valid website crashing IE

Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
generates an error?

http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php

I have just installed the site onto the client's webserver. They are
running IIS. The HTML and CSS both validate.

When I try to access the site from any of the computers on their network IE
6 crashes with this:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

R 6025
- pure virtual function call

This happens on both XP and 2K. It only happens with this page on this
site. It happens about 75% of the time. Doesn't happen with any other
sites to my knowledge, though I only tried 20 or 30. Needless to say it
doesn't happen with other browsers.

Here's the really weird bit:

None of the other pages on the site generate the error, only index.php and
whatsNew.php, which is the same thing -- index.php is just include(
"whatsNew.php" );.

If I take the output from index.php, and paste it into a new document and
put it on the server, that page doesn't crash IE:
http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/test3.html

If I embed index.php in an object element inside index.html, and load
index.html, it doesn't crash:
http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.html

If I navigate to the page from another page, it never crashes. Only if I
type/paste the url it into the address bar, or click refresh on one of the
occasions when it hasn't crashed it.

WTF???

I can't get it to crash under IE 6 on any of the machines in my office, only
on machines on their network. Wide range of hardware.

I wouldn't even have a clue how to start tracking this down, any ideas?

Is it likely to be anything to do with IIS?

Google has been less than helpful. The only other thing I can find to do
with IE is that streaming audio/video in IE 6 can cause this error, and I
have neither of these.

Does anyone know of any other newsgroups that might be more suitable for
asking this in? Of course, if I then follow that up I will be guilty of
multiposting (sigh).

Please excuse my including alt.html in my crossposting, but I am desperate
and I know a lot of very smart people lurk there.

--
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

DoobieDo 03-02-2005 06:54 AM

Re: Perfectly valid website crashing IE

In article <qbdVd.5853$1S4.627626@news.xtra.co.nz>, nrkn!no-spam!
@woosh.co.nz says...
> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
> generates an error?

It all seems to be OK here using IE 6.0

Matt Probert 03-02-2005 06:59 AM

Re: Perfectly valid website crashing IE

Once upon a time, far far away "Nik Coughin" <nrkn@woosh.co.nz>
spluttered

>Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
>generates an error?

What a surprise...It doesn't generate any errors when I visit with IE
6 (XP).

Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
whether you just want to generate some traffic.

Matt

--
The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

Disco Octopus 03-02-2005 07:01 AM

Nik Coughin wrote :
> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
> generates an error?
>
> http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php

I cant see the problem you are having on my IE6.

However, it may be something to do with the CSS files.

Try renaming them to the .css rather than .php, and if its necesary you
will need to run .css files through the php interpreter.

Also, try not "impoting", instead just "link" them....

instead of....
@import url( ./css/box.php );

use the
<link rel=......

see if that fixes your prob.

Also, it may be that the CSS files are "large" what does that mean? i
dont know... but I know that IE6 is 'slow' to sometimes render "large"
css streams.

--
eating alone is medicinal

Disco Octopus 03-02-2005 07:05 AM

Disco Octopus wrote :
> Nik Coughin wrote :
>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
>> generates an error?
>>
>> http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
>>

> I cant see the problem you are having on my IE6.
>
> However, it may be something to do with the CSS files.
>
> Try renaming them to the .css rather than .php, and if its necesary you will
> need to run .css files through the php interpreter.
>
> Also, try not "impoting", instead just "link" them....
>
> instead of....
> @import url( ./css/box.php );
>
> use the
> <link rel=......
>
> see if that fixes your prob.
>
> Also, it may be that the CSS files are "large" what does that mean? i dont
> know... but I know that IE6 is 'slow' to sometimes render "large" css
> streams.

could it perhaps be something to do with the object reference thing in
index.html.....

<object data="index.php" type="text/html" width="100%"
height="100%"></object>

--
dont pick your nose if it is sore

mscir 03-02-2005 07:05 AM

Nik Coughin wrote:
> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
> generates an error?

No error here.

> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> Runtime Error!
> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
> R 6025
> - pure virtual function call

Are you running Symantec antivirus? Do you have file "rpawinet.dll"?
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...code=nsys&svy=
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/history.../712153-1.html
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=452169

Do you have script debugging enabled?
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/...p/t-29799.html
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl..._20719707.html

If all else fails... could it be a permissions issue?
http://in53.plexisgroup.com/reportproblem/IEerror.cfm

Mike

Nik Coughin 03-02-2005 07:06 AM

Matt Probert wrote:
> Once upon a time, far far away "Nik Coughin" <nrkn@woosh.co.nz>
> spluttered
>
>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
>> know if it generates an error?

> Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
> whether you just want to generate some traffic.

I wish! I've spent all afternoon trying to work out WTF is going on. Not
good when the client's own site crashes computers on their own network, for
no apparent reason.

Nik Coughin 03-02-2005 07:09 AM

Disco Octopus wrote:
>> Nik Coughin wrote :
>>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
>>> know if it generates an error?

> could it perhaps be something to do with the object reference thing in
> index.html.....

> <object data="index.php" type="text/html" width="100%"
> height="100%"></object>

Nope, it's index.php that crashes IE, not index.html (despite it only being
a wrapper for index.php). The only reason that object thingy exists is
because it prevents the crash, bizarrely.

Crashes: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
Doesn't crash: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.html

Nik Coughin 03-02-2005 07:16 AM

mscir wrote:
> Nik Coughin wrote:
>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
>> know if it generates an error?

> No error here.
>
>> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>> Runtime Error!
>> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
>> R 6025
>> - pure virtual function call

> Are you running Symantec antivirus? Do you have file "rpawinet.dll"?

No.

> Do you have script debugging enabled?

No.

> If all else fails... could it be a permissions issue?
> http://in53.plexisgroup.com/reportproblem/IEerror.cfm

Hi Mike, this page constantly times out for me and I cannot access it, so
I'm not sure.

Thank you so much for obviously going out of your way to try and help!

Nik Coughin 03-02-2005 07:21 AM

Nik Coughin wrote:
> mscir wrote:
>> Nik Coughin wrote:
>>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
>>> know if it generates an error?

>> Do you have script debugging enabled?

> No.

Hey, I just saw this at
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl...20719707.html:

"went to internet options and advanced tab and Disable script debugging was
already selected so i removed check mark and closed it out and went back in
and reselected it now everything works properly"

Will try that tomorrow morning when I go back in.