Velocity Reviews

-   -   SMTP solution when on the road? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t161103-smtp-solution-when-on-the-road.html)

Sgt Owens 02-28-2005 02:38 PM

SMTP solution when on the road?

When traveling I never know who my on-the-road ISP will be so sending mail
requires a third party SMTP. I've tried a free one but spammers destroyed
it and now that service is heavily blacklisted and useless.

I have my own website. Is there a way I can send mail from the road through
my website, or does anyone have any other creative ideas? Thanks.

Sgt Owens

saz 02-28-2005 02:49 PM

Re: SMTP solution when on the road?

In article <y1GUd.9838$Ba3.9304@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink. net>,
nospam@nomail.org says...
> When traveling I never know who my on-the-road ISP will be so sending mail
> requires a third party SMTP. I've tried a free one but spammers destroyed
> it and now that service is heavily blacklisted and useless.
>
> I have my own website. Is there a way I can send mail from the road through
> my website, or does anyone have any other creative ideas? Thanks.
>
> Sgt Owens

Do you have webmail capabilities through your web host? Most provide
that free of charge, and it's already built into CPanel.

I have used mail2web.com in the past.

Spartanicus 02-28-2005 03:25 PM

"Sgt Owens" <nospam@nomail.org> wrote:

>When traveling I never know who my on-the-road ISP will be so sending mail
>requires a third party SMTP. I've tried a free one but spammers destroyed
>it and now that service is heavily blacklisted and useless.

Install a smtp server on your portable, then you can route directly
without the need of an ISP provided smtp server.

But this off topic here.

--
Spartanicus

Carolyn Marenger 02-28-2005 03:36 PM

Re: SMTP solution when on the road?

Many ISPs offer some form of web based email access. Check yours. If
they do, then it is a simple matter of logging in and checking, replying,
and sendinf mail.

Carolyn

(Pete Cresswell) 02-28-2005 04:38 PM

Re: SMTP solution when on the road?

Per Sgt Owens:
>I've tried a free one but spammers destroyed
>it and now that service is heavily blacklisted and useless.
>
>I have my own website. Is there a way I can send mail from the road through
>my website, or does anyone have any other creative ideas? Thanks.

I'm not very knowledgable in this area, but what I'm hearing is that when you
use a certain address, the volume of spam soon makes that address useless.

Somebody who knows something probably has a better idea, but what I do is spend
six bucks a month for Cotse.net. This gives my domain name a home for email
(web stuff is somewhere else) and offers a comprehensive list of anti-spam/mail
control tools like SMTP-level GoldList, sender WhiteList, recipient WhiteList,
Baysian filtering, SpamCop, unlimited addresses and so-forth.

Unfiltered and unprotected, my domain name was getting 6,000-7000 spams per day
when I checked about six months ago, probably more as I write this - yet I see
only one or two each day. The vast majority are dictionary attacks.

I have a "real" address that I share with friends and is just a few letters
instead of a name - unlikely tb included in a dictionary attack. I also try to
put everybody who sends me legitimate email on the sender WhiteList.

Everybody else gets either a manually-created address that I add to the GoldList
and WhiteList or an address in the format of yyyymmdd.DomainName.Net which
automagically becomes part of the GoldList and WhiteList until it expires on
yyyymmdd.

When one of my manually-created addresses starts attracting spam, I just remove
it from the GoldList. I seldom make up a replacement/notify whoever it was
given to because the reason it started attracting spam is probably related to
whoever was entrusted with it.

I use the yyyymmdd facility from time-to-time, but usually do the bogus
address/GoldList/WhiteList thing because I derive some perverse satisfaction
from knowing who is abusing my addresses - especially the commercial outfits
that have the "Don't Share My Address" checkbox on their screens.

--
PeteCresswell

Andy Dingley 03-01-2005 12:56 AM

Re: SMTP solution when on the road?

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Spartanicus <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Install a smtp server on your portable, then you can route directly
>without the need of an ISP provided smtp server.

How would that help ?

SMTP is SMTP. It doesn't matter if your machine is trying to talk to
another SMTP server from your own mail client, or from your own MTA
(aka SMTP server). The remote SMTP server will either accept your mail
or it won't, and this choice is due to whether it trusts you, not what
program you're running to implement SMTP.

To "route directly" as you describe it, that assumes that "many SMTP
servers trust other unknown SMTP servers". Now this _used_ to be true,
but spam killed it. These days such trusting SMTP servers are termed
"open relays" and even if you can still find one, it's quite probably
blacklisted.

(When I travel, I use my mail provider's web-mail interface. I hate
it, and I have to cc: myself to keep copies in the real place. But
it's less painful than trying to make SMTP authentication work in a
reliable manner)
--
Smert' spamionam

Lauri Raittila 03-01-2005 10:57 AM

in alt.html, Andy Dingley wrote:

> (When I travel, I use my mail provider's web-mail interface.

I just use ssh tunnel to my smtp server.

Utrecht, NL.

Sgt Owens 03-01-2005 11:13 AM

Re: SMTP solution when on the road?

Lauri, I Googled ssh tunnel and it looks interesting but above my level of
expertise. Is there an easy ssh tunnel solution you can point me to?
Thanks.

--

news:MPG.1c8e68f53ce7d5f598a361@news.individual.ne t...

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc, 03-01-2005 10:41 PM

"Sgt Owens" <nospam@nomail.org> wrote in message
news:y1GUd.9838$Ba3.9304@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
> When traveling I never know who my on-the-road ISP will be so sending mail
> requires a third party SMTP. I've tried a free one but spammers destroyed
> it and now that service is heavily blacklisted and useless.
>
> I have my own website. Is there a way I can send mail from the road
> through
> my website, or does anyone have any other creative ideas? Thanks.

Your host should offer you an alternate port (other than Port 25, which most
ISPs now block) so that you can send email via your domain name, regardless
of which ISP you connect with. If they don't offer you one, request that
they do. If they decline your request, find a new host. ;-)

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup

Andy Dingley 03-02-2005 12:24 AM

Re: SMTP solution when on the road?

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc,"
<tina@affordablehost.com> wrote:

>Your host should offer you an alternate port

Oh great, voodoo security. 8-(

If it's secure, stick it on 25. If it's not secure, don't stick it
anywhere. Port scanning will find it wherever you "hide" it.