Velocity Reviews

-   -   favicon.ico question? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t161083-favicon-ico-question.html)

Brett 02-26-2005 04:30 PM

favicon.ico question?

Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is the
root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming through.

I know this isn't really HTML related but wasn't sure where else to post
this. However, some people here have probably implemented the favorite icon
hack.

Thanks,
Brett

Jan Faerber 02-26-2005 05:07 PM

Re: favicon.ico question?

Brett ... output:

> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is the
> root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming through.
>
> I know this isn't really HTML related but wasn't sure where else to post
> this. However, some people here have probably implemented the favorite
> icon hack.
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

They said that cross posting ist OK in opposite to multiposting. So send it
to more groups.

--
Jan

http://html.janfaerber.com

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc, 02-26-2005 05:09 PM

Re: favicon.ico question?

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is the
> root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming through.

How would you be online without an IP? Check favicon.com and see if you
have yours per their instructions.

Hope that helps!

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup

Dave Patton 02-26-2005 05:17 PM

Re: favicon.ico question?

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in news:Vfidnc30sZiLOb3fRVn-sQ@rcn.net:

> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
> the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
> through.

URL?
Browser?

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/

Adrienne 02-26-2005 05:45 PM

Re: favicon.ico question?

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Brett" <no@spam.net> writing in

> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
> the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
> through.
>
> I know this isn't really HTML related but wasn't sure where else to
> post this. However, some people here have probably implemented the
> favorite icon hack.
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
modern browsers do as well.

You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
with an ico extension.

Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css" type="text/css" />
<link rel="Home" href="index.asp" title="Home Page" />
<link rel="Index" href="sitemap.asp" title="Sitemap" />
<link rel="Help" href="support.asp" title="Support Page" />
<link rel="P3Pv1" href="w3c/p3p.xml" title="Machine readable Privacy
Statement" />

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Brett 02-26-2005 05:48 PM

Re: favicon.ico question?

"Dave Patton" <spam@trap.invalid> wrote in message
news:Xns96095E8E5D91Fmrzaphoddirectcaold@24.71.223 .159...
> "Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in news:Vfidnc30sZiLOb3fRVn-sQ@rcn.net:
>
>> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
>> the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
>> through.

> URL?
> Browser?

The IP is pass protected and the browser is IE6. My question is simple -
does the favicon work with only a domain name or also the IP?

Thanks,
Brett

Oli Filth 02-26-2005 06:06 PM

Re: favicon.ico question?

Brett wrote:
> The IP is pass protected and the browser is IE6.

^
^
This is the problem.
Try it in Firefox.

--
Oli

Brett 02-26-2005 06:10 PM

Re: favicon.ico question?

> Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
> page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
> modern browsers do as well.
>
> You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
> with an ico extension.
>
> Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
> one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:
>
> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a GIF
then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also bookmarked
the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP address an does
not have an associated domain. Will that make a difference?

Thanks,
Brett

Adrienne 02-26-2005 06:41 PM

Re: favicon.ico question?

>> Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark
>> the page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure
>> other modern browsers do as well.
>>
>> You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
>> with an ico extension.
>>
>> Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements
>> in one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:
>>
>> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

> Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a
> GIF then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
> http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also
> bookmarked the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP
> address an does not have an associated domain. Will that make a
> difference?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Should not make any difference. I can do
http://192.168.1.4/betasite/index.html and see the favicon I created for
it, or I can do http://localhost/betasite/index.html and see the icon.
IE6.

Jonathan N. Little 02-26-2005 07:27 PM

Re: favicon.ico question?

Brett wrote:
>>Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
>>page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
>>modern browsers do as well.
>>
>>You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
>>with an ico extension.
>>
>>Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
>>one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:
>>
>><link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

> Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a GIF
> then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
> http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also bookmarked
> the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP address an does
> not have an associated domain. Will that make a difference?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Brett:

MS IE will only display the favicon if it is a single format 16x16 pixel
16 color icon in Window ICO format where as Gecko browsers will display
multi-format (like your desktop icons 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and various
color depths 4, 8 16 bit colors) and other image formats like GIF and
PNG. If your specify your relative path to the file correctly whether or
not your have a registered domain name does not matter. Make the image a
16x16 4-bit (16 color) icon and your trouble in MS IE should be solved.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO