Velocity Reviews

-   -   frames question for xpert (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160986-frames-question-for-xpert.html)

Patrick 02-16-2005 07:54 PM

frames question for xpert

Hi experts,

I am trying to help a guy fix up an incomplete site, other coder quit. I
have a question about how the site narrows the main page in a frame view.
The page is formatted to have large margins of blank (but colored) margins
and is centered. I am using a 17" monitor at high res, so I figure it's like
that so lesser resolutions can see the entire thing at once. Here is the
frameset index file:

/*entire index.htm file */

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Computer Parts Source.com</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<FRAMESET border=0 frameSpacing=0 rows=5000,* frameBorder=0>
<FRAME src="cpsv1.htm">
<FRAME src="about:blank"></FRAMESET></HTML>

*/ top part of cpsv1 */

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>ComputerPartsSource.com</TITLE>
<LINK href="cps.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>

Most of the rest of the code is tables that set up top and lefthand menus.
But these tables have width=100% and yet are NOT 100% of the screen. Why not
is my q? The middle of the page is blank for new items etc.

The site may or may not be up right now: http://www.computerpartssource.com

TIA,
Patrick
psully at eatel dot net

Steve Pugh 02-16-2005 08:37 PM

Re: frames question for xpert

"Patrick" <psully@nospam.eatel.net> wrote:

>I am trying to help a guy fix up an incomplete site, other coder quit. I
>have a question about how the site narrows the main page in a frame view.
>The page is formatted to have large margins of blank (but colored) margins
>and is centered. I am using a 17" monitor at high res, so I figure it's like
>that so lesser resolutions can see the entire thing at once.

It's probably like that because whoever designed it doesn't understand
the web as a medium.

><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
><HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Computer Parts Source.com</TITLE>
><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
><FRAMESET border=0 frameSpacing=0 rows=5000,* frameBorder=0>
><FRAME src="cpsv1.htm">
><FRAME src="about:blank"></FRAMESET></HTML>

Pointless. You have one frame that's 5000px tall and then one frame
that uses all the remaining space. You'd be better off dropping the
frames altogether, they do nothing at all.

>*/ top part of cpsv1 */

><HTML><HEAD><TITLE>ComputerPartsSource.com</TITLE>
><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
><LINK href="cps.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>
>
>Most of the rest of the code is tables that set up top and lefthand menus.
>But these tables have width=100% and yet are NOT 100% of the screen. Why not
>is my q? The middle of the page is blank for new items etc.
>
>The site may or may not be up right now: http://www.computerpartssource.com

Because the tables have an empty cell on the left and right and then
all the content is in a 770px wide cell in the middle.

Drop the frames, drop the tables, drop the fixed width, do it
properly.

Steve

Steve Pugh <steve@pugh.net> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

JDS 02-16-2005 09:13 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:37:34 +0000, Steve Pugh wrote:

> Because the tables have an empty cell on the left and right and then
> all the content is in a 770px wide cell in the middle.
>
> Drop the frames, drop the tables, drop the fixed width, do it
> properly.
>
> Steve

To clarify, the content frame -- the only frame with anything in it -- can
be used and *just* that frame. It is already an independent HTML page.

So get rid of the frameset entirely and just use the page in the middle,
which, by my estimation, is http://68.148.3.127/public_html/index.php

Not sure why the frameset loads a page that resides on a
numerically-addressed site, but my guess is *that* is why frames were used
-- to obfuscate the actual page location. Just a guess.

--
JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid

Dave Patton 02-16-2005 10:33 PM

Re: frames question for xpert

"Patrick" <psully@nospam.eatel.net> wrote in

> Hi experts,
>
> I am trying to help a guy fix up an incomplete site, other coder quit.

Answered in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/

mscir 02-17-2005 01:18 AM

Patrick wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> I am trying to help a guy fix up an incomplete site, other coder quit. I
> have a question about how the site narrows the main page in a frame view.
> The page is formatted to have large margins of blank (but colored) margins
> and is centered. I am using a 17" monitor at high res, so I figure it's like
> that so lesser resolutions can see the entire thing at once. Here is the
> frameset index file:

height="120" bgcolor="#A2C0E4" align='center'>

To keep the existing layout, try changing 770.
Mike

Karl Core 02-17-2005 03:03 AM

"mscir" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Patrick wrote:
>> Hi experts,
>>
>> I am trying to help a guy fix up an incomplete site, other coder quit. I
>> have a question about how the site narrows the main page in a frame view.
>> The page is formatted to have large margins of blank (but colored)
>> margins
>> and is centered. I am using a 17" monitor at high res, so I figure it's
>> like
>> that so lesser resolutions can see the entire thing at once. Here is the
>> frameset index file:

> bgcolor="#A2C0E4" align='center'>
>
> To keep the existing layout, try changing 770.

Please do not give out any more HTML advice. Ever.

--
Karl Core
Hell To Pay, Baltimore Hardcore: http://www.eightninethree.com

Patrick 02-17-2005 03:32 AM

Re: frames question for xpert

Ok, crossposting is ok if done with cc, I never heard of that. I just could
not see any of my messages anywhere.

news:Xns95FF9416A53EEmrzaphoddirectcaold@24.71.223 .159...

Duende 02-17-2005 03:45 AM

Re: frames question for xpert

While sitting in a puddle Karl Core scribbled in the mud:

> "mscir" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Patrick wrote:
>>> Hi experts,
>>>
>>> I am trying to help a guy fix up an incomplete site, other coder quit.
>>> I have a question about how the site narrows the main page in a frame
>>> view. The page is formatted to have large margins of blank (but
>>> colored) margins
>>> and is centered. I am using a 17" monitor at high res, so I figure
>>> it's like
>>> that so lesser resolutions can see the entire thing at once. Here is
>>> the frameset index file:

>> height="120" bgcolor="#A2C0E4" align='center'>
>>
>> To keep the existing layout, try changing 770.

> Please do not give out any more HTML advice. Ever.

Seems like the advice fits the question. :)

--
D?
Adults die young.

mscir 02-17-2005 06:19 AM

Karl Core wrote:

> "mscir" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Patrick wrote:
>>>Hi experts,
>>>I am trying to help a guy fix up an incomplete site, other coder quit. I
>>>have a question about how the site narrows the main page in a frame view.
>>>The page is formatted to have large margins of blank (but colored)
>>>margins
>>>and is centered. I am using a 17" monitor at high res, so I figure it's
>>>like
>>>that so lesser resolutions can see the entire thing at once. Here is the
>>>frameset index file:

>>bgcolor="#A2C0E4" align='center'>
>>
>>To keep the existing layout, try changing 770.

> Please do not give out any more HTML advice. Ever.

Why do you say that?

If he couldn't find out why the width was fixed, he's probably pretty
much of a beginner with HTML and has his hands full right now. I debated
whether I should suggest he learn CSS but it didn't seem appropriate. I
learned what CSS I do know after I became comfortable with HTML, maybe
that doesn't work for everybody but it worked for me, assuming this has
anything at all to do with your comment.

Mike

rf 02-17-2005 06:51 AM

Re: frames question for xpert

"mscir" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote

> > Please do not give out any more HTML advice. Ever.

> Why do you say that?

Mr Core is one of those who has determined that tables are for tabular data
only and if you use one otherwise you will suffer eternal damnation :-)

> If he couldn't find out why the width was fixed, he's probably pretty
> much of a beginner with HTML and has his hands full right now. I debated
> whether I should suggest he learn CSS but it didn't seem appropriate. I
> learned what CSS I do know after I became comfortable with HTML, maybe
> that doesn't work for everybody but it worked for me, assuming this has
> anything at all to do with your comment.

FWIW I concur with your assessment. If someone is trying to learn how to
build a sand castle you don't hand him a front end loader.

--
Cheers
Richard.