Velocity Reviews

-   -   time to learn PHP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160954-time-to-learn-php.html)

hev 02-14-2005 05:03 PM

time to learn PHP

I have been avoiding it for long enough now.

Can anyone recommend a good book or site to learn about PHP?

Much appreciated.

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:

JDS 02-14-2005 05:33 PM

Re: time to learn PHP

http://www.php.net

--
JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com

Blinky the Shark 02-14-2005 08:09 PM

Re: time to learn PHP

hev wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good book or site to learn about PHP?

There's a very beginning - and very brief - tute here:

http://www.w3schools.com/

Left column, Server Scripting section.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
Now killing all posts made from Google Groups

Toby Inkster 02-14-2005 09:24 PM

Re: time to learn PHP

JDS wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:03:02 +0000, hev wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a good book or site to learn about PHP?

> http://www.php.net

Seconded. As long as you already have some programming experience (in
whatever language), then php.net should have all you need to learn PHP.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

JDS 02-14-2005 10:06 PM

Re: time to learn PHP

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:24:58 +0000, Toby Inkster wrote:

> Seconded. As long as you already have some programming experience (in
> whatever language), then php.net should have all you need to learn PHP.

Thirded. Oh, and i was the firsted one, it seems. hmm.

My findings are that:

1) PHP.net has fantastic documentation
2) PHP.net has a very good newbie turorial
3) PHP.net is searchable (unlike a book, which, GoogleLibrary aside, has
only an index)
4) PHP.net is nearly always up-to-date.

I *NEVER* use a book to look up functions or other reference information
on PHP. I even teach a PHP class and must use a book for the class
(because that is what is expected) but the first thing I teach the class
is how to use PHP.net and throw away the book.

Google, Google Groups, and PHP.net are all you'll ever need.

--
JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com

Hev 02-15-2005 12:30 AM

Re: time to learn PHP