Velocity Reviews

-   -   available fonts ??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160851-available-fonts.html)

Mel 02-03-2005 05:33 PM

available fonts ???

is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine running
a browser ?

Travis Newbury 02-03-2005 05:51 PM

Re: available fonts ???

Mel wrote:
> is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine

running
> a browser ?

Yes, but you would have to know the owner of the client, call them, and
ask them to give you a list of available fonts. Not very practical
really.

--
-=tn=-

Jukka K. Korpela 02-03-2005 06:20 PM

Re: available fonts ???

"Travis Newbury" <TravisNewbury@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Mel wrote:
>> is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine
>> running a browser ?

> Yes, but you would have to know the owner of the client, call them, and
> ask them to give you a list of available fonts. Not very practical
> really.

And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
for generating a list of available fonts.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Oli Filth 02-03-2005 06:26 PM

Re: available fonts ???

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> "Travis Newbury" <TravisNewbury@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Mel wrote:
>>
>>>is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine
>>>running a browser ?

>>Yes, but you would have to know the owner of the client, call them, and
>>ask them to give you a list of available fonts. Not very practical
>>really.

> And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
> list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
> somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
> for generating a list of available fonts.

In Windows, that's under Control Panel->Fonts.

Is there something similar on Mac and Unix?

--
Oli

Steve Greenaway 02-03-2005 06:41 PM

Re: available fonts ???

Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Oli's face, who said:
>Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>>
>> And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
>> list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
>> somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
>> for generating a list of available fonts.
>>

>In Windows, that's under Control Panel->Fonts.

Which basically just opens the fonts folder. Not very useful for
making a list of fonts available to be printed, emailed, etc.

I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

--
- Steve
"I think a good friend would recommend CLR to all his friends."

Oli Filth 02-03-2005 07:03 PM

Re: available fonts ???

I know. I was just responding to what Jukka wrote. :)

--
Oli

Toby Inkster 02-03-2005 07:23 PM

Re: available fonts ???

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
> for generating a list of available fonts.

Personally I'd just type:

xlsfonts | mail -s "List of fonts" somebody@example.com

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

JDS 02-03-2005 07:24 PM

Getting more and more OT. Re: available fonts ???

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:26:03 +0000, Oli Filth wrote:

> Is there something similar on Mac and Unix?

Linux has several ways, depending on your desktop environment and distro.
For example, in Gnome, you can browse to fonts:/// using nautilus. I
think. And KDE has a similar feature. You know, this font thing is a
case where Windows or Mac "less-choice-is-better" philosophy really might
be true. As compared to Linux, that is. blah blah blah

--
JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com

Karim 02-03-2005 08:21 PM

Re: available fonts ???

On 3 Feb 2005 18:41:31 GMT, Steve Greenaway wrote:

> Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Oli's face, who said:
>>Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>>>
>>> And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
>>> list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
>>> somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
>>> for generating a list of available fonts.
>>>

>>In Windows, that's under Control Panel->Fonts.

> Which basically just opens the fonts folder. Not very useful for
> making a list of fonts available to be printed, emailed, etc.
>
> I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
> automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

In Windows you can download some font browsers like X-Fonter. X-Fonter can
print a sample of every installed font. See download.com.

I don't think you can get a list of installed fonts using html and
Javascript. Maybe through Java or ActiveX (Windows only with IE or plugins
for some others).

Karim
--
http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Innovative Web Hosting since 1998
Spam and Virus protected email - Online calendars with email notification

Jakob 02-03-2005 08:43 PM

Re: available fonts ???

"Steve Greenaway" <macfisto@engsoc.org> schreef in bericht

> I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
> automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

Well, actually that's not what they asked.
There was mention of a "client machine" that runs a browser;
and they wanted to *get* a font-list.

Jakob

(I'm sorry; just a professional deformation;
alweays trying to get the facts straight)