Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Ghost" margin, IE is messing me up (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160791-ghost-margin-ie-is-messing-me-up.html)

Bart van den Burg 01-29-2005 10:04 PM

"Ghost" margin, IE is messing me up

Ok, so here's my page: http://80.60.202.155/TVR%20new/
Opera and Mozilla are both very friendly, and render the page as i expect
them to. However: IE doesn't! Somehow there is a 2px margin at the right
side of the left layer, and i just cannot figure out where it's coming from.
I'm going absolutely crazy here, and I'm about to throw my computer out of
the window!

Does anyone know what the hell is going on here??

Thx!
Bart

Bart van den Burg 01-29-2005 10:16 PM

Re: "Ghost" margin, IE is messing me up

Fixed it now by giving the left menu a -3px margin-right... Although i still
think it's rather weird :/

Blinky the Shark 01-30-2005 12:00 AM

Bart van den Burg wrote:

> Ok, so here's my page: http://80.60.202.155/TVR%20new/
> Opera and Mozilla are both very friendly, and render the page as i expect
> them to. However: IE doesn't! Somehow there is a 2px margin at the right
> side of the left layer, and i just cannot figure out where it's coming from.
> I'm going absolutely crazy here, and I'm about to throw my computer out of
> the window!

> Does anyone know what the hell is going on here??

No, but here's another issue. Firefox 1.0.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/ff0129.gif

Looks about the same with Opera and Konqueror.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Response To Extended Endless September:
Now kill-filing posts made with User-Agent G2

Richard 01-30-2005 02:20 AM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:04:27 +0100 Bart van den Burg wrote:

> Ok, so here's my page: http://80.60.202.155/TVR%20new/
> Opera and Mozilla are both very friendly, and render the page as i
> expect
> them to. However: IE doesn't! Somehow there is a 2px margin at the
> right
> side of the left layer, and i just cannot figure out where it's coming
> from.
> I'm going absolutely crazy here, and I'm about to throw my computer out
> of
> the window!

> Does anyone know what the hell is going on here??

> Thx!
> Bart

You can't have a negative margin.

body {margin:0%;}

No dot or # before body. try that and see if it makes IE happy.
BTW, in your styles area, not the <body> tag.

rf 01-30-2005 03:11 AM

Re: "Ghost" margin, IE is messing me up

"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote

> You can't have a negative margin.

How can any one person be so consistantly and completely wrong in all
matters.

Negative margins *ARE* allowed. It even says so in the reccomendations:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/box.html#mpb-examples
and to quote the specific wordage:

<quote>
Negative values for margin properties are allowed, but there may be
implementation-specific limits.
</quote>

Message to newbies: Beware. This is merely one example of how diametrically
wrong RtS can be. If he is so wrong with such a fundamental as the value of
the margin property I leave you to draw your own conclusion about the rest
of his blatherings.

Steve Pugh 01-30-2005 09:59 AM

Re: "Ghost" margin, IE is messing me up

"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

>You can't have a negative margin.

Yes you can. Read the spec.

Steve

Steve Pugh <steve@pugh.net> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

Bart van den Burg 01-30-2005 12:20 PM

Re: "Ghost" margin, IE is messing me up

"Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> schreef in bericht
news:slrncvo8sn.jkn.no.spam@thurston.blinkynet.net ...
> Bart van den Burg wrote:
>
> > Ok, so here's my page: http://80.60.202.155/TVR%20new/
> > Opera and Mozilla are both very friendly, and render the page as i

expect
> > them to. However: IE doesn't! Somehow there is a 2px margin at the right
> > side of the left layer, and i just cannot figure out where it's coming

from.
> > I'm going absolutely crazy here, and I'm about to throw my computer out

of
> > the window!

> > Does anyone know what the hell is going on here??

> No, but here's another issue. Firefox 1.0.
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/ff0129.gif
>
> Looks about the same with Opera and Konqueror.
>
> --
> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
>
> Response To Extended Endless September:
> Now kill-filing posts made with User-Agent G2

Hi,

thanks for letting me know this :) Actually, this is not a
FixeFox/Opera/Konquerer problem, but a font problem in linux... Do you know
what i should change

font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 9pt;

into, in order to get the fonts as big as they are in windows?

Thanks!

Bart van den Burg 01-30-2005 12:24 PM

Re: "Ghost" margin, IE is messing me up

"Bart van den Burg" <bart@NOSPAM.tvreclames.nl> schreef in bericht
> "Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> schreef in bericht
> news:slrncvo8sn.jkn.no.spam@thurston.blinkynet.net ...
> > Bart van den Burg wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, so here's my page: http://80.60.202.155/TVR%20new/
> > > Opera and Mozilla are both very friendly, and render the page as i

> expect
> > > them to. However: IE doesn't! Somehow there is a 2px margin at the

right
> > > side of the left layer, and i just cannot figure out where it's coming

> from.
> > > I'm going absolutely crazy here, and I'm about to throw my computer

out
> of
> > > the window!

> > > Does anyone know what the hell is going on here??

> > No, but here's another issue. Firefox 1.0.
> >
> > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/ff0129.gif
> >
> > Looks about the same with Opera and Konqueror.
> >
> > --
> > Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
> >
> > Response To Extended Endless September:
> > Now kill-filing posts made with User-Agent G2

> Hi,
>
> thanks for letting me know this :) Actually, this is not a
> FixeFox/Opera/Konquerer problem, but a font problem in linux... Do you

know
> what i should change
>
> font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
> font-size: 9pt;
>
> into, in order to get the fonts as big as they are in windows?
>
> Thanks!

Actually... I'm surprised by Opera's results (in linux). I'm running 7.54,
and i noticed that all the fonts are serif :?
It clearly states in the CSS: font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
Does anyone know if this is a bug or something?