Velocity Reviews

-   -   Login needed-access restricted pages (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160787-login-needed-access-restricted-pages.html)

Oli Filth 01-29-2005 02:10 AM

Re: Login needed-access restricted pages

....D. wrote:
> Can someone explain to me or at le3ast point me the right place to look?
> Keep in mind though HTML standard stuff I can do, this is all foreign to
> me.
>
> I want to have a login page that refers to a list of valid IDs (or however
> it is handled) to allow access to a couple of web pages that would be
> viewable to only a successful login.
>
> How is all of this handled? Would I manually have to put the user's ID or
> email address into a list (probably best in this case) or could the
> process be automated too, like craigslist does in sending you an email &
> you have to click on the link to validate yourself?
>
> Yea I know I am getting into some heavier stuff here, but I've got to
> learn this.

You're right, this is beyond the scope of HTML. You're basically asking
about something which requires server-side processing. Depending on what
your server provides, you could do this in ASP, PHP, Perl, or a few
other alternatives. For simple things like validating against a list of
users, any of these languages would be very easy to pick up assuming you
have some competence with programming languages in general.

e.g. http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.php for a simple PHP tutorial.

--
Oli

...D. 01-29-2005 02:46 AM

Login needed-access restricted pages

Can someone explain to me or at le3ast point me the right place to look?
Keep in mind though HTML standard stuff I can do, this is all foreign to
me.

I want to have a login page that refers to a list of valid IDs (or however
it is handled) to allow access to a couple of web pages that would be
viewable to only a successful login.

How is all of this handled? Would I manually have to put the user's ID or
email address into a list (probably best in this case) or could the
process be automated too, like craigslist does in sending you an email &
you have to click on the link to validate yourself?

Yea I know I am getting into some heavier stuff here, but I've got to
learn this.

Here is a snipit of code I grabbed from a page that has a login. The part
I have excerpted isn't that long. Probably draws from a list manually
inputted into by someone. I don't understand it, so I can't even
copy-paste. If you have some time, could explain please - how does it
work? Thanks in advance,.
<!--start login table-->
<option value='x'>Select Your Name
<option value='VIP User|39687|MPQHSEGX'>VIP User
</select>
size=10 maxlength=8 name=pass>
onclick="check(this.form)">
login.<br><br>If you do not have a user name and password, please us the
password".</td></form>

<script language="JavaScript" src="/js/member_login.js">
</script>

...D.