Velocity Reviews

-   -   Pound sign - Prefixed with (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160786-pound-sign-prefixed-with-a.html)

Simon Harris 01-28-2005 11:33 PM

Pound sign - Prefixed with

Hi All,

I have just built a content editor using ASP.Net. It works by saving HTML
from a form into a text file. I then include these text files in .shtml
files using SSI directives.

The problem I have is pound signs - If I add one to a page, it is always
preceeded with character, so I end up with: £

Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon.

Martin Clark 01-28-2005 11:42 PM

Re: Pound sign - Prefixed with

Simon Harris wrote...
>Hi All,
>
>I have just built a content editor using ASP.Net. It works by saving HTML
>from a form into a text file. I then include these text files in .shtml
>files using SSI directives.
>
>The problem I have is pound signs - If I add one to a page, it is always
>preceeded with character, so I end up with: £
>
>Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

The usual way of being sure to produce a pound sign in html is to use
the character entity code £ but I wouldn't know whether that would
work in the situation you describe.
--
Martin Clark

Toby Inkster 01-29-2005 09:53 AM

Re: Pound sign - Prefixed with =?iso-8859-1?b?wg==?=

Simon Harris wrote:

> The problem I have is pound signs - If I add one to a page, it is always
> preceeded with  character, so I end up with: £

I've seen this before. It was also as part of an ASP content-management
system. It's caused by the script that recieves the submitted data
misinterpreting the charset of the data.

Solution 1: use £.

Solution 2: get your content management software to do a search and
replace, replacing '£' with '£'.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Simon Harris 01-29-2005 10:32 AM

Re: Pound sign - Prefixed with

Thanks guys - Replacing with £ worked a treat! :)