Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fixing font size in FireFox? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160613-fixing-font-size-in-firefox.html)

T.J. 01-15-2005 05:47 PM

Fixing font size in FireFox?

Hi,
How can I fix the font size for one
particular piece of text when
displayed in FireFox?
TIA.

Leif K-Brooks 01-15-2005 06:00 PM

Re: Fixing font size in FireFox?

T.J. wrote:
> How can I fix the font size for one particular piece of text when
> displayed in FireFox?

You can't, and you shouldn't. Why would you want to make it harder for
people to read your Web page?

Spartanicus 01-15-2005 06:02 PM

"T.J." <no1@home.invalid> wrote:

>How can I fix the font size for one
>particular piece of text when
>displayed in FireFox?

Fix as in can't be changed? You can't, and you shouldn't attempt to in
any browser.

--
Spartanicus

Barbara de Zoete 01-15-2005 06:13 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:47:32 -0000, T.J. <no1@home.invalid> wrote:

> How can I fix the font size for one
> particular piece of text

Why would you want to do that?

> when
> displayed in FireFox?

Why especially for FireFox?

It is usually best to provide a relative font for all your text. If _you_
experience a certain part of your content to have a too large font-size in
FireFox, change the size in _your_ browser settings.

T.J. 01-15-2005 06:53 PM

"Barbara de Zoete" <b_de_zoete@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:47:32 -0000, T.J. <no1@home.invalid> wrote:
>
>> How can I fix the font size for one
>> particular piece of text

> Why would you want to do that?

Because I want a very prominant header, so are using 40px
as my <h1> tag whilst all other font is relative.
if the header gets any bigger than 40px it starts effecting the
layout.

>> when
>> displayed in FireFox?

> Why especially for FireFox?

That was the only one I had tested it on at the time, I now see
Netscape does the same thing.

> It is usually best to provide a relative font for all your text. If _you_
> experience a certain part of your content to have a too large font-size in
> FireFox, change the size in _your_ browser settings.

The key word being "usually" are there never exceptions to the rule?
All other text on the page is relative.
This is the page if interested,
http://www.sim64.co.uk/ordering-roses-online.html
Ideally I want the text of the main header all on one line, and not
cause the page to expand.
In IE with the font fixed it displays as planned, but because the text
size changes with Firefox and Netscape it causes the second line of
text to drop.
Is there a correct way of doing this, I could make the text a graphic,
or
should I just except that this happens?

Duende 01-15-2005 07:01 PM

Re: Fixing font size in FireFox?

While sitting in a puddle T.J. scribbled in the mud:

>>> How can I fix the font size for one
>>> particular piece of text

>> Why would you want to do that?

> Because I want a very prominant header, so are using 40px
> as my <h1> tag whilst all other font is relative.
> if the header gets any bigger than 40px it starts effecting the
> layout.

make it an image

--
D?
http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

Barbara de Zoete 01-15-2005 07:04 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:53:29 -0000, T.J. <no1@home.invalid> wrote:

> "Barbara de Zoete" <b_de_zoete@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:47:32 -0000, T.J. <no1@home.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Why especially for FireFox?

> That was the only one I had tested it on at the time, I now see
> Netscape does the same thing.
>
>> It is usually best to provide a relative font for all your text. If _you_
>> experience a certain part of your content to have a too large font-size in
>> FireFox, change the size in _your_ browser settings.
>>

> The key word being "usually" are there never exceptions to the rule?

Yes, there can be.

> All other text on the page is relative.
> This is the page if interested,
> http://www.sim64.co.uk/ordering-roses-online.html
> Ideally I want the text of the main header all on one line, and not
> cause the page to expand.
> In IE with the font fixed it displays as planned, but because the text
> size changes with Firefox and Netscape it causes the second line of
> text to drop.

You just explained one. If you want to prevent wrapping of the header in _all_
situations, I would use an image. If it shouldn't wrap in relatively common
browsing situations, but you don't care for viewports under a certain width (say
760px), I would use the child selector to specify a font-size especially for
browsers other than IE. IE doesn't understand the child selector properly and
ignores rules set with them (for example):

h1 {
font-size:40px; }

body>h1 {
font-size:36px; }

Mitja 01-15-2005 07:18 PM

Re: Fixing font size in FireFox?

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:53:29 -0000, T.J. <no1@home.invalid> wrote:

>>> How can I fix the font size for one
>>> particular piece of text

> Because I want a very prominant header, so are using 40px
> as my <h1> tag whilst all other font is relative.
> if the header gets any bigger than 40px it starts effecting the
> layout.

To fix the font size, your only option are images. NOT recommended.

The other, better and more obvious way is to fix (as in mend, not make
unresizable) the layout itself.
[looks at html code]
Hmmmm, seems alright. In what way does the layout break? You mentioned
"dropping" lines - do you mean wrapping or disappearing? If it's
disappearing, I haven't looked good enough. If it's merely wrapping, don't
worry, live with it :) Wrapping is still better than disappearing off the
right edge due to not wrapping. Web design can never be all that exact and
retain proper flexibility at the same time.
Just in case you're interested - in Opera it wraps in two lines with my
default settings, as it does in Firefox. There are other things that do
need fixing, though. Try maxing the text smaller and see what happens
(hint: "clear: left").

--
Mitja

T.J. 01-15-2005 07:28 PM

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:53:29 -0000, T.J. <no1@home.invalid> wrote:
>
>> "Barbara de Zoete" <b_de_zoete@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:47:32 -0000, T.J. <no1@home.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why especially for FireFox?

>> That was the only one I had tested it on at the time, I now see
>> Netscape does the same thing.
>>
>>> It is usually best to provide a relative font for all your text. If
>>> _you_
>>> experience a certain part of your content to have a too large font-size
>>> in
>>> FireFox, change the size in _your_ browser settings.
>>>

>> The key word being "usually" are there never exceptions to the rule?

> Yes, there can be.
>
>> All other text on the page is relative.
>> This is the page if interested,
>> http://www.sim64.co.uk/ordering-roses-online.html
>> Ideally I want the text of the main header all on one line, and not
>> cause the page to expand.
>> In IE with the font fixed it displays as planned, but because the
>> text
>> size changes with Firefox and Netscape it causes the second line of
>> text to drop.

> You just explained one. If you want to prevent wrapping of the header in
> _all_ situations, I would use an image. If it shouldn't wrap in
> relatively common browsing situations, but you don't care for viewports
> under a certain width (say 760px), I would use the child selector to
> specify a font-size especially for browsers other than IE. IE doesn't
> understand the child selector properly and ignores rules set with them
> (for example):
>
> h1 {
> font-size:40px; }
>
> body>h1 {
> font-size:36px; }

Thanks,
But I like to make my pages at least Bobby 508 approved
if I put h1 {font-size:36px; } in the body, Bobby will call it as
an error. Or have I read your reply wrong?
Is creating an image the only other answer. I thought this was
always frowned upon too?
Or is it a case of the lesser of the two evils.
Alternatively should I just except that it will wrap?

Richard 01-15-2005 07:30 PM

"Duende" <usenet@wipkip.biz> wrote in message
> While sitting in a puddle T.J. scribbled in the mud:

> >> Why would you want to do that?

> > Because I want a very prominant header, so are using 40px
> > as my <h1> tag whilst all other font is relative.
> > if the header gets any bigger than 40px it starts effecting the
> > layout.

> make it an image

The king of one liners strikes again.
Are you sure you aren't related to "meat --> plow"?
I have a hunch you are him.