Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   css test (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160207-css-test.html)

Eddy Long 12-06-2004 10:41 PM

css test
 
Greetings,
I'd like to have the links in the body copy in bold face Verdana with no
underline so that when the user mouses over them - the word becomes
underlined in green.

It works on IE 5.5 - but on some versions of IE the link is underlined to a
default blue. Not sure why that is.

The html snippet is below - could a few on this NG please test on their
browsers.
Thank you for your time.

E.
------------------------------------

<html>
<head>
</head>
<style>
#copy{position:absolute;
top:5%;
left:2%;
width: 70%;
padding:1em;
border-top: 1px solid green;
border-bottom: 1px solid green;
border-right: 1px solid green;
border-left: 1px solid green;
}

#copy {
font-family:verdana;
font-size:.75em;
}

#copy A:link: {font-family:verdana;
text-decoration:none;
font-weight:bold;
color:#606060;
}

#copy A:visited:{text-decoration:none;
font-weight:bold;
color:#606060;}

#copy A:hover:{text-decoration:underline;
color:green}
</style>

<body>
<div id="copy">
Hi. This is a test page.<br>
This is a <a href="http://www.foobar.org">link</a>.<br>
Goodbye.
</div>
</body>
</html>



Mark Parnell 12-06-2004 11:04 PM

Re: css test
 
Previously in alt.html, Eddy Long <eddy@NO_att_SPAM.net> said:

> Greetings,


G'day.

> It works on IE 5.5 - but on some versions of IE the link is underlined to a
> default blue. Not sure why that is.


http://diveintomark.org/archives/200..._wont_help_you

> The html snippet is below


Where's the URL?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Neal 12-06-2004 11:16 PM

Re: css test
 
Eddy:
> I'd like to have the links in the body copy in bold face Verdana with no
> underline so that when the user mouses over them - the word becomes
> underlined in green.


And how does the user even know to hover over this otherwise unmarked text?

> It works on IE 5.5 - but on some versions of IE the link is underlined
> to a
> default blue. Not sure why that is.


Not sure what versions you're referring to.

> The html snippet is below - could a few on this NG please test on their
> browsers.
> Thank you for your time.


I would if you'd simply upload it someplace. As it stands I need to copy,
paste, save, then navigate to the new file with the browser. If you upload
it and provide a URL it simplifies my life considerably.

But what I can tell you now:

> #copy {
> font-family:verdana;
> font-size:.75em;
> }


Verdana is a poor choice for web use, especially at this size. If I do not
have Verdana, what does my browser use instead? And how tiny and
unreadable will that font be?

Remember, Verdana can be more easily read at small sizes, but not all
users have Verdana. Therefore, don't serve Verdana (or any font) at sizes
smaller than 1em or 100%. (With rare exception, such as legalese, etc.)

> #copy A:link: {font-family:verdana;
> text-decoration:none;
> font-weight:bold;
> color:#606060;
> }


The font-family will be inherited from #copy anyhow, so this first
declaration is unnecessary. And taking away the underline removes the
obvious cue that it's a link. Yes, you've bolded it and greyed it instead,
but now the user needs to forget wat they know and learn a whole new
procedure for your site. I doubt the content is really worth it. Even
Google leaves links underlined.

I can't say what the problem is, but with a URL we can see it in a lot of
environments and perhaps figure it out.

Richard 12-07-2004 07:03 AM

Re: css test
 
Mark Parnell wrote:

> Previously in alt.html, Eddy Long <eddy@NO_att_SPAM.net> said:


>> Greetings,


> G'day.


>> It works on IE 5.5 - but on some versions of IE the link is underlined
>> to a default blue. Not sure why that is.


> http://diveintomark.org/archives/200..._wont_help_you


>> The html snippet is below


> Where's the URL?


Is that all you know? Copy and paste the code into an editor and check it
out yourself.



Richard 12-07-2004 07:09 AM

Re: css test
 
Neal wrote:

> Eddy:
>> I'd like to have the links in the body copy in bold face Verdana with no
>> underline so that when the user mouses over them - the word becomes
>> underlined in green.


> And how does the user even know to hover over this otherwise unmarked
> text?


They don't. I've never seen a web page yet that says....."Hover mouse here".
Idiot.


>> It works on IE 5.5 - but on some versions of IE the link is underlined
>> to a
>> default blue. Not sure why that is.


> Not sure what versions you're referring to.


What I'd like to know is, how does he get other versions to work on one
machine?
In earlier versions, they probably never heard of CSS.


>> The html snippet is below - could a few on this NG please test on their
>> browsers.
>> Thank you for your time.


> I would if you'd simply upload it someplace. As it stands I need to copy,
> paste, save, then navigate to the new file with the browser. If you
> upload it and provide a URL it simplifies my life considerably.


What is so wrong with putting the code into an editor and creating your own
html file?
Not everyone has access to a website.
Maybe he's doing this for himself to learn.


> But what I can tell you now:


>> #copy {
>> font-family:verdana;
>> font-size:.75em;
>> }


> Verdana is a poor choice for web use, especially at this size. If I do
> not have Verdana, what does my browser use instead? And how tiny and
> unreadable will that font be?


> Remember, Verdana can be more easily read at small sizes, but not all
> users have Verdana. Therefore, don't serve Verdana (or any font) at sizes
> smaller than 1em or 100%. (With rare exception, such as legalese, etc.)


>> #copy A:link: {font-family:verdana;
>> text-decoration:none;
>> font-weight:bold;
>> color:#606060;
>> }


> The font-family will be inherited from #copy anyhow, so this first
> declaration is unnecessary. And taking away the underline removes the
> obvious cue that it's a link. Yes, you've bolded it and greyed it
> instead, but now the user needs to forget wat they know and learn a whole
> new procedure for your site. I doubt the content is really worth it. Even
> Google leaves links underlined.


> I can't say what the problem is, but with a URL we can see it in a lot of
> environments and perhaps figure it out.




Neal 12-07-2004 03:14 PM

Re: css test
 
Richard:
> Neal:
> > And how does the user even know to hover over this otherwise unmarked
> > text?

>
> They don't. I've never seen a web page yet that says....."Hover mouse
> here".


What does the underline mean to users? Why was <u> deprecated? Why does
every expert warn you not to use underlines when it isn't a link, and not
to use links without a clear and obvious marking which the user will
associate with a link? Except for navigation buttons (which are another
standard way to mark a link, but which won't really work well in the midle
of text), underlining is that marking.

The underline does indeed say "Hover mouse here" - it's a convention that
you need a damn good reason to run afoul of in competent web design.

> Idiot.


Asshat.

> What I'd like to know is, how does he get other versions to work on one
> machine?
> In earlier versions, they probably never heard of CSS.


That's just it - anything before 5.0 won't do anything resembling CSS, and
even 5.0 has major issues. Is he referring to 6.0?

> What is so wrong with putting the code into an editor and creating your
> own
> html file?
> Not everyone has access to a website.
> Maybe he's doing this for himself to learn.


It's not considerate of my time, nor of anyone's time, to make everyone go
through the steps when you could have. As far as access to a free server,
seriously, free webspace has been around for over a decade. For the
purposes of this situation, even Geocities is more than adequate.

My point is, and remains, that when you need to post more than a snippet
or two, it's simpler to upload a simplified test case


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.